LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's just my opinion as a fan, I'm not a professional scout or anything so don't hold me to my grave with that.

Well, you made quite an absolute statement saying the word "shocked" because personally, I think there is some quality forwards in the WHL this year. Top 10 talent, maybe not, but there are plenty of guys that have the potential of being very good role players.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Well, you made quite an absolute statement saying the word "shocked" because personally, I think there is some quality forwards in the WHL this year. Top 10 talent, maybe not, but there are plenty of guys that have the potential of being very good role players.

It's not exactly absolute to say I would be shocked. It's just my opinion, I didn't tell anybody to take it as gospel. Just seems like one of those drafts to me. I might revise my statement to say I'd be shocked if more one player outside the first round turned into a legit NHLer, I might lean more towards that.

I just looked quickly through 2003-2007 drafts for WHL forwards outside the 1st round and these were the results for impact players (players that could be everyday players on any team in the league, no healthy scratch/tweener guys): It's seems not entirely unusual to have only 1 player outside the first round from the WHL become a legit player, don't think it's completely out of the question to suggest this. I was probably out of line saying zero players, but I think 1 is an OK number to bet on. 2004 seems like an anomaly especially considering the quality of players produced compared to other years.

2003 - Colin Fraser, Macarthur, Nate Thompson, Brodziak
2004 - Comeau, Dubinsky, Boyd, Versteeg, Brouwer
2005 - Darren Helm
2006- Lucic, Dorsett
2007 - Dwight King

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's not exactly absolute to say I would be shocked. It's just my opinion, I didn't tell anybody to take it as gospel. Just seems like one of those drafts to me. I might revise my statement to say I'd be shocked if more one player outside the first round turned into a legit NHLer, I might lean more towards that.

I just looked quickly through 2003-2007 drafts for WHL forwards outside the 1st round and these were the results for impact players (players that could be everyday players on any team in the league, no healthy scratch/tweener guys): It's seems not entirely unusual to have only 1 player outside the first round from the WHL become a legit player, don't think it's completely out of the question to suggest this. I was probably out of line saying zero players, but I think 1 is an OK number to bet on. 2004 seems like an anomaly especially considering the quality of players produced compared to other years.

2003 - Colin Fraser, Macarthur, Nate Thompson, Brodziak
2004 - Comeau, Dubinsky, Boyd, Versteeg, Brouwer
2005 - Darren Helm
2006- Lucic, Dorsett
2007 - Dwight King

Well, when your sample size is only 5 years, its hard to say what is an anomaly and what isn't.

Yes, based on those 5 years you listed, chances range from 22% to 7% success rate after the 1st round in terms of WHL forwards. Again, small sample so its hard to say.

It is your opinion, and your totally entitled to it, I'm not bashing you :) but just letting you know, "shocked" is a very strong word, its an absolute term IMO

Really, I know even though this isn't really an English language forum, I guess that is what I had the most gripe about, the use of "shocked". Because for me, I think there are some good prospects to be found after the 1st round, but then again, I am very open to the idea that none of them turn out. When it comes to prospects, there is no absolutes. Not even first overall picks.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Another big game for Hunter. 1G 2A. Such a top heavy (deep draft). It really feels like if your picking in the top 15 your walking away with a stud...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Shinkaruk is T-4th in WHL scoring with 33 points in 22 games. He's T-3rd in the league in goals with 15.

Watch Super Series tonight if you want to see him in action.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He looks a lot bigger and stronger then he did since last year when I saw him last. Going to do wonders for his draft stock if he has grown. Way too much talent and skill not to go in the top 10.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Shinkaruk really needs to simplify his game. I lost track of how many times he had the puck tonight only to do like 10 fakes and give the puck up without getting around a single person. He has as much pure talent as anyone in the draft (besides McKinnon at least), but he simply doesn't use it

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
people need to slow down. 1 hit dosent make him "very physical" or even "physical". even sedin sisters can throw 1 hard hit.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Not impressed by hunter. Too slow (below average in this game let alone nhl standards) and he was decently solid enough on his skates but nothing fantastic. Elite shot but thats it (maybe iq too). Seems like a bit of an upgraded Mckegg. Not in my top 10.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
For me, Shinkaruk is all about potential. While he wasn't the best on the ice, or the most offensive, elusive, or fastest, I thought he was one of the best skaters in terms of balance and directional change. Add that to his ability to think the game quickly and above-average offensive skills, you have a prospect that is just good.

But add a dash of muscle (say 20lbs?), then you can have a very elite player.

It is still work to be done, so I don't have him in the same tier as Barkov, but I think the potential is there.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
For me, Shinkaruk is all about potential. While he wasn't the best on the ice, or the most offensive, elusive, or fastest, I thought he was one of the best skaters in terms of balance and directional change. Add that to his ability to think the game quickly and above-average offensive skills, you have a prospect that is just good.

It is still work to be done, so I don't have him in the same tier as Barkov, but I think the potential is there.

I agree with everything you said, but 20 pounds is a bit more than a dash of muscle when you're already pretty fit

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I agree with everything you said, but 20 pounds is a bit more than a dash of muscle when you're already pretty fit

Well, I might be pushing it a bit :)

Assuming my numbers I have listed is correct (5-11 175lbs), is 190lbs a reasonable hope? Considering Shinkaruk's fearless style, I think he will need more muscle to succeed in the NHL.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

Reading that makes me think of Eberle perhaps?

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Reading that makes me think of Eberle perhaps?

Different mentalities. Eberle is more relaxed and waits for the the opposition to commit to something which he then reacts to, Shinkaruk is much more assertive and pressures the play more. Similar offensive skillsets however IMO

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Different mentalities. Eberle is more relaxed and waits for the the opposition to commit to something which he then reacts to, Shinkaruk is much more assertive and pressures the play more. Similar offensive skillsets however IMO

I also assumed that Eberle was more of an elusive type of forward, a guy that can really make the moves and dodge players (I could be wrong though). From my initial viewing of Shinkaruk, he seems to more of a guy that, like you said, is more assertive and straight-forward in his play, relying on quick decision making and high energy to create his chances.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I also assumed that Eberle was more of an elusive type of forward, a guy that can really make the moves and dodge players (I could be wrong though). From my initial viewing of Shinkaruk, he seems to more of a guy that, like you said, is more assertive and straight-forward in his play, relying on quick decision making and high energy to create his chances.

That's what I meant when I said he reacts to players, when he has the puck he waits for them to commit to playing the body or the puck and reacts accordingly with a deke. Defensively, he also plays less man coverage and more zone, and is more prone to pick off a pass then to throw a hit. Alternatively, Shinkaruk makes the decision first and forces the defender to react, and on defense is more prone to coming at the player with the puck and forcing mistakes due to pressure.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
people need to slow down. 1 hit dosent make him "very physical" or even "physical". even sedin sisters can throw 1 hard hit.

"Even the Sedin sisters."
Usually that'd be the signal for your post to just be ignored based on maturity level, but I'll elaborate for the sake of everyone else.

If you kept an eye on him throughout the game, you would have noticed him winning a lot more board battles than he lost, driving to the net/slot when there wasn't any room to do so and getting his body involved on the back check.

His one hit may have been all you noticed, but there are a lot of intricacies to his game that other picked up on and were surprised by. This was my first time seeing him since last season and it was night and day.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
That's what I meant when I said he reacts to players, when he has the puck he waits for them to commit to playing the body or the puck and reacts accordingly with a deke. Defensively, he also plays less man coverage and more zone, and is more prone to pick off a pass then to throw a hit. Alternatively, Shinkaruk makes the decision first and forces the defender to react, and on defense is more prone to coming at the player with the puck and forcing mistakes due to pressure.

Hard to find a comparison...would an slightly more offensively leaning Mike Richards be a decent one? A winger version of course.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
"Even the Sedin sisters."
Usually that'd be the signal for your post to just be ignored based on maturity level, but I'll elaborate for the sake of everyone else.

If you kept an eye on him throughout the game, you would have noticed him winning a lot more board battles than he lost, driving to the net/slot when there wasn't any room to do so and getting his body involved on the back check.

His one hit may have been all you noticed, but there are a lot of intricacies to his game that other picked up on and were surprised by. This was my first time seeing him since last season and it was night and day.

While I think he wasn't very effective physically, I liked that he wasn't afraid to go into the dirty areas and has a great grasp of his skating to deliver those solid hits and win those board battles.

Because of those two opposing thoughts, in my personally opinion, he is not as effective as I would like him to be because he isn't as sturdy, but this is something he can work on.

Ultimately, it might be a flaw that drops him slightly, but in the long run, whatever team picks him is going to focus hard on building him muscle, and when he does, he is going to be a dangerous player.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hard to find a comparison...would an slightly more offensively leaning Mike Richards be a decent one? A winger version of course.

Not really. He doesn't shy away from contact, but he certainly doesn't initiate it like Richards. Imo, he's seems kinda like a cross between Rob Schremp and Phil Kessel. If he can add some bulk or find an extra gear, he's going to be deadly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad