LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Is he a winger or a center? Most websites have him listed as a center but I see he plays wing alot?

He's played wing all season, for the most part. Guys like Curtis Valk (his current center) and Elgin Pearce have been the top two guys in the middle for the Tigers much of the year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I have only seen him play in the under 18s and a few other times being out east, but from everything I have seen/heard his skating looking to be very explosive.

Craig Button mention that he was an elite level skater a couple months ago I believe.

I haven't seen him enough to form my own opinion though.

I never said he wasn't explosive. He is. In game one of the playoffs he was in a race for the puck with Duncan Siemens and they essentially tied the race for the puck. Not too bad for a guy that's about 5'11, compared to an elite skater with long legs like a 6'4 Duncan Siemens.

He's just got an odd stride. It's choppy and will need to be refined a bit to get to that next level as a pro, if you ask me.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Bump- Is Jeff Skinner a fair comparison?

Meh. Skinner is a really gifted skater which makes him pretty unique. His agility is almost unparalleled. I thought the Versteeg one wasn't bad, but I'd probably say Loui Eriksson if I had to make one.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump- Is Jeff Skinner a fair comparison?

That's the one I use all the time. Both players are good skaters, just have odd ways of skating. Skinner's edgework is out of this world, while Shinkaruk's is somewhat similar.

arsmaster*

That's the one I use all the time. Both players are good skaters, just have odd ways of skating. Skinner's edgework is out of this world, while Shinkaruk's is somewhat similar.

I think he compares better with a guy like Eberle. Hunter's a better skater at the same stage, but Jordan's skating is vastly improved from his junior days.

The Loui Eriksson comp seems strange to me, the guys is a 6'2" two way winger. I don't see Shinkaruk in that vein at all.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

So should I expect him to do 360s with the puck? :laugh:

Seriously, the Devils are most likely going to pick 9-11 so I'd love to pick him up. Great shot, nice speed, good agility, elite edgework, quick hands. I guess his only deficiencies are size, defense and physicality?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So should I expect him to do 360s with the puck? :laugh:

Seriously, the Devils are most likely going to pick 9-11 so I'd love to pick him up. Great shot, nice speed, good agility, elite edgework, quick hands. I guess his only deficiencies are size, defense and physicality?

Size yes, but he has filled out quite a bit this year, and he is a pretty aggressive player for his size

Hockeygirl95*

If the Flames pick in the 8-10 range I really want them to grab Shinkaruk.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I really think he could be a good player. The top 9 in this draft is pretty good. After that its hit or miss.

As a flyers fan this is the guy i want the most, if nurse doesn't drop to us.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/20/hunter-shinkaruk-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-11/

We have him ranked 11th.

Throughout his three years in the WHL, Hunter Shinkaruk has been a dynamic offensive forward for the Medicine Hat Tigers. There was some question as to how Shinkaruk would do this season after the graduation of linemate Emerson Etem, but Shinkaruk excelled, taking over the team captaincy and becoming the primary scoring threat with 37 goals and 86 points in 64 games.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I can see us taking him at #9 and wouldn't mind one bit if we did.

jgthibault

Dec 14, 2010
For me, Shinkaruk is the best forward players of the second group. For the first round, I see 3 groups

Group 1 (in no particular order)

Drouin
McKinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Nichushkin
Lindholm

Group 2 (big margin between group 1 and 2)

Shinkaruk (leader of this group)
Lazar
Domi
Rychel

and the other

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've used the Skinner comparison for a long time. But, I've also thrown Parise out there a little bit too.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I honestly think he'll end up with the Devils at #9, unless someone like Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin slips, wich I don't see happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad