LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Him labelled as a soft player is a misconception.

The player I like to compare him to most is Brendan Gallagher, so that should give you an idea of how he can be a very tenacious player who is not at all afraid of going to the dirty areas to score.

Yeah, I don't think he's a rough hit you type of player. Tenacious is a good description, he's been the guy standing in front of the net a lot.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I still don't see much NHL upside in his game. I really don't think he sticks on the Flames, even with a lack of solid wingers. He isn't fast or skilled enough, nor defensively sound enough, to complement a line right now. I don't see it. I find him very unimpressive whenever I see him.

Klimchuk - if he ever stays healthy - seems like a much more rounded winger and has a lethal shot. I can see him making the top 9 at some point.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
^ I agree. He's got too many holes. And, doesn't score enough to compensate for that.

We are pretty weak at F prospects outside of Jankowski, Mangiapane, Klimchuk and Dube.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Could see him taken by Vegas since AHL eligibility is a rarity among potential draft picks and Calgary doesn't have a lot of enticing options

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Calgary should have kept Grandlund.

Shinkaruk was never destined for the NHL.

this is because, even to the final days of him playing for Utica, one sticking point that never changed was he is primarily a "perimeter player". scared to go into the dirty areas. not to mention most of his stats are coming from the power play. unless he is on Calgarys number 1 power play unit, his stats won't be there, and in the NHL you have to make your way up the depth chart most likely as a top line player until you are given the top line minutes.

Don't see much of a NHL future in him.

good kid though, he's one of those guys that you want to see him do well.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

this is because, even to the final days of him playing for Utica, one sticking point that never changed was he is primarily a "perimeter player". scared to go into the dirty areas. not to mention most of his stats are coming from the power play. unless he is on Calgarys number 1 power play unit, his stats won't be there, and in the NHL you have to make your way up the depth chart most likely as a top line player until you are given the top line minutes.

He's not a perimeter player. He scores a lot of his goals from in the slot and 13/15 we're even strength. He got hurt at the start of the year and when he got back the Heat forgot to play hockey. He missed the 10 games with 6 goals a night to pad his stats. I liked how he ended the season.

If we could get rid of all of our bottom six scraps I'd be happy to see him on a line with Tkachuk and Bennett. Should be first call up assuming Jankowski make's the team from camp.

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
Could see him taken by Vegas since AHL eligibility is a rarity among potential draft picks and Calgary doesn't have a lot of enticing options

I think this is very likely at this point -- his competition for being the selection from Calgary is one of Bouma/Brouwer/Chiasson/Stajan, or Kulak (unless they want Stone or a UFA defenseman over thirty).

Kulak v. Shinkaruk has more to do with position than anything else, and there's probably 30 teams in the league with a Kulak-level defense prospect who they could lose to the expansion draft (and about ten who have a better defenseman in the NHL already), so I just don't see an argument for him over Shinkaruk.

That means you're looking at a veteran bottom six cap dump who 'plays the right way' or Shinkaruk, and in a vacuum I don't see why Shink would be less appealing.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I was thrilled to see Calgary acquire him, but the addition of Tkachuk basically guaranteed he wouldn't have a spot. While I liked Granlund, there really wasn't room, and he wouldn't have put up those numbers here.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I was thrilled to see Calgary acquire him, but the addition of Tkachuk basically guaranteed he wouldn't have a spot. While I liked Granlund, there really wasn't room, and he wouldn't have put up those numbers here.

you don't think granlund would have put up better numbers on a team with offence compared to the worst offensive team in the NHL?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Yep, Granlund would have been waived here in Calgary and subsequently lost on waivers anyhow.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
you don't think granlund would have put up better numbers on a team with offence compared to the worst offensive team in the NHL?

Not a chance. He would not have had the ice time nor the opportunity here in Calgary that he received in Vancouver due to their distinct lack of depth up front

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Granlund wouldn't be on the Flames NHL roster either.

I'm not a fan of Shinkaruk, but there was no room for Granlund.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

This response is perfect.

Not a chance. He would not have had the ice time nor the opportunity here in Calgary that he received in Vancouver due to their distinct lack of depth up front

I wish Shinkaruk were a right handed shot. I really think a Tkachuk - Bennett - Shinkaruk line could do well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I'm glad Granlund is working well for Vancouver, but he would not be Flames property if we kept him. He would have been lost on waivers. We at the least have Shinkaruk's rights for a few seasons even if all things don't work out.

Granlund on LW had to compete with:

JG
Tkachuk/Bennett (IMO Bennett might have played 2LW if no Tkachuk)
Ferland/Versteeg
Bouma

To retain a spot.

The 13th forward spot was F Hamilton's spot.

Granlund would have been lost to waivers.

Shinkaruk when he played for the Flames, played in the muck. He wasn't a perimeter player. I am curious to know if he was actually a change of scenery type of situation in Utica like Baertschi was for us.

One can always hope he's a late bloomer and can elevate his game to be an NHL mainstay. I think he is good enough to play on some NHL rosters, but not on the Flames who have a LW logjam going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad