LW Carter Savoie - Sherwood Park Crusaders, AJHL (2020, 100th, EDM)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Savoie is presently 2nd in NCAA goals with 5 in just 4 games.

Caufield is 1st with 6 goals in 10 games.

Pretty insane start especially considering the competition and being an 18 year old rookie, we may have landed a blue chip offensive player in the 4th round, that’s unheard of in recent years.

That shot and accuracy is jaw dropping, the reverse angle on his latest goal picking the far top corner was ridiculous.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah. Even if the kid pronounces it like that himself, it’s just stupid and wrong given the spelling.

Shades of Byfuglien = “Buff-lin”
Well, no, if the family pronounces it “savoy”, that’s the correct pronunciation. The original French pronunciation is completely irrelevant in that case.

Reactions: CarlWising

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
No.

If your last name is Smith and you pronounce it “Scott,” you’re still wrong.

It is quite common for people in Canada with French names to pronounce those names differently if they are English. My name and my son's name are pronounced differently when spoken by an English vs a French-language person, but because our first language is English, we pronounce it the English way. That doesn't make us wrong, nor a French person wrong for pronouncing the name differently. Both are correct, but to be respectful of someone, you would pronounce the name as they prefer to have it pronounced.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
It is quite common for people in Canada with French names to pronounce those names differently if they are English. My name and my son's name are pronounced differently when spoken by an English vs a French-language person, but because our first language is English, we pronounce it the English way. That doesn't make us wrong, nor a French person wrong for pronouncing the name differently. Both are correct, but to be respectful of someone, you would pronounce the name as they prefer to have it pronounced.
Just saw that Carter pronounces his last name as « Savoy » so you are correct.

As a french canadian, it still irks me to see french names mispronounced.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So do you say it Roy or Roy.

Which one is wrong.

Depends if one is an Anglophone or Francophone.

While Savoie being a Western Canadian by birth and upbringing, I think (but don’t know for sure) that Savoie’s family are originally french, so presumably the Patrick Roy pronounciation?

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008

I understand you'd feel that way, as a French Canadian. That said, I'm sure most French-speaking people (and English-speaking people, for that matter) mispronounce many Asian names, Russian names, etc.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I understand you'd feel that way, as a French Canadian. That said, I'm sure most French-speaking people (and English-speaking people, for that matter) mispronounce many Asian names, Russian names, etc.
Sure but I wouldn’t mispronounce my own last name if it was of Russian origin.

Savoie’s parents or grandparents are probably French Canadian so some heritage was lost.

Still not as bad as Nathan Beaulieu not speaking a word of French.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just pray the Oilers don't damage this prospect.

But also hope if the Oilers plan on making a run that they trade him to a team good at developing players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't speak French but it bothers me too.

I teach in New England, and there is a lot of French Canadian heritage here. But you wouldn't know it from talking to people. I had a Vigneault in class once and he pronounced his name as "VIG-NOLT". That's just brutally unpleasant.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I don't speak French but it bothers me too.

I teach in New England, and there is a lot of French Canadian heritage here. But you wouldn't know it from talking to people. I had a Vigneault in class once and he pronounced his name as "VIG-NOLT". That's just brutally unpleasant.
I partly grew up in Edmundston NB right across from Madawaska, Maine and it’s the same. Caron is pronounced Ka-ren, Pelletier is pronounced Pel-tier, and so on... Unfortunate indeed.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No.

If your last name is Smith and you pronounce it “Scott,” you’re still wrong.

Sorry, is Smith a foreign origin of Scott?

Names will not be pronounced the same when they go through to a different language, for many reasons.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sure but I wouldn’t mispronounce my own last name if it was of Russian origin.

If you grew up as a native English speaker, in an English-speaking country, there is about a 99.5% chance you would pronounce your own name differently than they do in Russian. It has nothing to do with you - it’s the sounds and phonology of the languages.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad