LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Looked really good. Played just under 10 minutes. Skated well, back checked well, battled along the boards, got a nice shot off, and had a great zone entry that led to a goal. Didn’t look out of place. Real solid debut for him.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows first NHL point. On the surface it didn't look like much, but he won a puck battle against Benn, one of the NHL's best. And this created a big goal to tie the game for the Isles. Congrats Kieffer.

is that typically an assist if the person did not touch the puck? I am pretty sure they did not initially give him an assist at the time

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
is that typically an assist if the person did not touch the puck? I am pretty sure they did not initially give him an assist at the time
It's hard to see on the replay, but it must have touched him for the NHL to credit an assist, no doubt it was his puck battle win that led to Brassard's goal. That's going to be his game. Shooting, Winning Board battles, and crashing the net. Nothing pretty but sure can be effective if he asserts himself.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
His release is incredible and his positioning is also very good.

Would like to see him play with Barzal, I think they'll have excellent chemistry.

Reactions: Dominance

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Not a bad start for young Bellows. Winning board battles one great stick handle which almost led to a highlight reel goal and some key shot blocks as well. Oh ye 2 goals as well.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Honestly I’m a little surprised, wasn’t a huge fan of his game in the WHL and the AHL stats aren’t flashy. But the kid has taken his opportunity and absolutely ran with it and is checking all the boxes. Hopefully the Isles have found a long-term finisher for Barzal here.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Bellows looking dangerous offensively in first two games but more importantly doing the things that Trotz will absolutely hold him to, win board battles, dont give up on plays in neutral and D zone, backcheck and work just as hard in his man to man coverage.

Nice start to his NHL career, has the Bolts and Caps in next couple of games so the competition is ratcheting up significantly.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Would like to see him play with Barzal, I think they'll have excellent chemistry.

it’s gonna take time but I couldn’t agree more. He’s found some early chemistry with brass and dal colle who look like different players since bellows got the call

guys sometimes have trouble adjusting to barzals game when they first play with him

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Kid is going to sore a lot of goals in this league. Couple that with his relentless work ethic, heart and determination, along with the guidance of a coach that, unlike others, preaches responsible defensive play, and you can see the Isles got themselves a really good one on their hands. Jealous.

There are other teams in the eastern conference that can learn a thing or 2 about defensive play and work ethic from this islanders squad.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Really surprised at his early success

He's been playing really well in the AHL as of late. Like most posters above have said, he's playing Islanders hockey, working hard along the boards, winning battles and going to the net. That will never not give you success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You can tell what kind a player Bellows is going to be. This interview really impressed me. Maybe he is a chip off the old block after all. The kid gets it.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
it’s gonna take time but I couldn’t agree more. He’s found some early chemistry with brass and dal colle who look like different players since bellows got the call

guys sometimes have trouble adjusting to barzals game when they first play with him

Barzal can pass and set-up, Bellow is the perfect set-up guy, but the icing on the cake is Barzal is a righty and Bellows is a lefty. Think Barzal could get him to fifty goals one day.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Barzal can pass and set-up, Bellow is the perfect set-up guy, but the icing on the cake is Barzal is a righty and Bellows is a lefty. Think Barzal could get him to fifty goals one day.
Barzal is awesome and Bellows is looking like he could be a really good finisher, but let’s slow the f*** down here :laugh:

He couldn’t hit 50 in the WHL as a 19 year old with Glass and Cholowski setting him up. He has 16 goals in 45 games in the AHL this season. 50 goals has been broken by someone other than Ovechkin, what, less than a half dozen times in the past decade?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Barzal is awesome and Bellows is looking like he could be a really good finisher, but let’s slow the **** down here :laugh:

He couldn’t hit 50 in the WHL as a 19 year old with Glass and Cholowski setting him up. He has 16 goals in 45 games in the AHL this season. 50 goals has been broken by someone other than Ovechkin, what, less than a half dozen times in the past decade?

Bellows isn't a guy to score fifty on his own, with the right guy he could one day. And with Trotz's system working it looks like it's bound to happen.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would categorize Bellows as a grinder that can score 25 goals a year when his game has matured. He's not going to wow anyone with his game. It is more of a win battles on the boards, play heavy, be in the scoring areas not afraid to play in traffic areas game. He terms himself as a power fwd.

It's still early on him, I would caution this, because 2 goals in 2 games, 3 pts +4 has risen the expectations.

I don't know how he would mesh with Barzal. Barzal is a high tempo rush player. Bellows is a below the dot player with a good release. It is atleast an option. I can see Barzal circling the zone and put it on net for a tip or deflection where Bellows is. Also Bellows fetching him the puck and executing the give and go with Barzal.

Time will tell where and what Bellows is. But yes, he sure is off to a great start. Looks like a season and a half of AHL did him some good.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Oh I’m in total agreement that it’s a perfect Match. Think it’l just take some time to happen

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Oh I’m in total agreement that it’s a perfect Match. Think it’l just take some time to happen

I totally agree, I think after 5-10 games it'll take off very slowly but then very quickly.

But if Bellows and Barzal have a very talented right-winger it'd likely be unstoppable come the time they're comfortable.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I totally agree, I think after 5-10 games it'll take off very slowly but then very quickly.

But if Bellows and Barzal have a very talented right-winger it'd likely be unstoppable come the time they're comfortable.

The Isles have this kid named Oliver Wahlstrom, maybe you've heard of him? ;)

He's a year away though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2