LW/C Kieffer Bellows - Boston University, NCAA (2016, 19th, NYI)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Kind of hard not seeing him put up like 5-8 20 goal seasons in the NHL with a release like that.

I get James Neal vibes

I was about to scroll through the last few posts to make this point, but see you've already done it. Well done. If Barzal if your center, you can get away without a complete game.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I see some young JVR in him as well...JVR was never really considered a sniper, but I do see some similarities there..If Bellows can work on deflections down low like JVR has, he can be a force to deal with.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would not be surprised if Bellows is ready to step in next season. I see a natural fit beside Barzal and Eberle. If he needs some AHL seasoning, this is fine also. But I would not expect a long overcooking of Bellows in the AHL. This kid has a terrific shot and he has the compete along the boards to play in the NHL. Playing with Barzal if this is the natural fit is just going to help his game out. Get open, Barzal will find you, and let that natural release take over.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nice article a week ago.

I agree in the bolded. And even perhaps better.

Bellows might not have the Mathew Barzal impact right away, but if he gets a regular role on the third line Bellows should be around 35 points. I’d guestimate something to the effect of 20 goals, 15 assists in his rookie year.

I would be utterly shocked if Bellows isn’t a regular in the 2018-2019 season. He has too much potential and Lou Lamoriello as a talent evaluator should be able to spot it, unlike the regime of old.

New York Islanders: Kieffer Bellows Will Have A Bigger Impact Than Expected

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He’s really got to earn his spot. I don’t think staring in the AHL would be the worst thing for him. His shot is so good though it’s hard to not want him on the big team.

You know what I am already thinking of. Bellows playing with Barzal. We will see this in their career. Bellows is going to have the puck served up to him on a platter if they play together. I am not sure if Beauvillier can play the right side. But I am stoked at the possibility of a Beauvillier-Barzal-Bellows killer B's line!

On that note, Button on Beauvillier's versatility. Maybe he can play the right side?
Anthony is a player who can play in multiple spots in your forward group, perhaps 11 of the 12, with No. 1 centre excluded. He’s smart, adaptable and reads plays everywhere on the ice in all situations extremely well. He is quick in his head, hands and feet and he competes. Can complement so many different players and that is very valuable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You know what I am already thinking of. Bellows playing with Barzal. We will see this in their career. Bellows is going to have the puck served up to him on a platter if they play together. I am not sure if Beauvillier can play the right side. But I am stoked at the possibility of a Beauvillier-Barzal-Bellows killer B's line!

On that note, Button on Beauvillier's versatility. Maybe he can play the right side?

I’m convinced Beauvillier can play any forward position up and down the line up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dal Colle Broke my heart. But Bellows shot at 17 was an NHL shot. MDC has a terrific shot in juniors but I don’t remember it being thought of as highly as Bellows was pre and post draft?

In Bellows draft they said his shot was second to Laine.

Dal Colle's shot was always considered NHL-caliber, and his bread and butter and what was supposed to guarantee he'd be a scorer in the NHL. I don't think Bellows has a noticeable edge in actual shot over Dal Colle.

I think the edge Bellows seems to have over Dal Colle is so far he's looked grittier and can score the dirty goals. Dal Colle's game seemed to rely too much on firing long-range rockets or scoring off the cycle, the latter of which he needed to improve his skating/strength to a degree he hasn't yet.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dal Colle's shot was always considered NHL-caliber, and his bread and butter and what was supposed to guarantee he'd be a scorer in the NHL. I don't think Bellows has a noticeable edge in actual shot over Dal Colle.

I think the edge Bellows seems to have over Dal Colle is so far he's looked grittier and can score the dirty goals. Dal Colle's game seemed to rely too much on firing long-range rockets or scoring off the cycle, the latter of which he needed to improve his skating/strength to a degree he hasn't yet.

I’m still baffled by Dal Colle.

Reactions: Jtown

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m convinced Beauvillier can play any forward position up and down the line up.

Good to hear. He strikes me as a player with the intelligence to be able to do so too.

I would love to see it. The Killer B's line.

Barzal centering Beauvillier and Bellows. This has the makings of a fast, skilled, hard on the puck line 5 v 5.

Bellows adds just the right size and finish for the line to compliment Barzal's elite playmaking. Beauvillier is the jack of all trades of the line, but don't underestimate his shot either.

Reactions: mm11 and SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

thebeefamily07.gif

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Good to hear. He strikes me as a player with the intelligence to be able to do so too.

Barzal centering Beauvillier and Bellows. This has the makings of a fast, skilled, hard on the puck line 5 v 5.

Bellows adds just the right size and finish for the line to compliment Barzal's elite playmaking. Beauvillier is the jack of all trades of the line, but don't underestimate his shot either.
what I don't read is that AB and Barzal are like two little gnats buzzing after the puck when forechecking. They are hungry and relentless going after it. Once they get it hopefully that sniper is in position to score because he will get his chances. If that guy is Bellows great.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
what I don't read is that AB and Barzal are like two little gnats buzzing after the puck when forechecking. They are hungry and relentless going after it. Once they get it hopefully that sniper is in position to score because he will get his chances. If that guy is Bellows great.

This is what is exciting to see Bellows with Barzal and Beauvillier. He is a finisher. He scored 50 goals last year WJC and WHL in 63 games and he too is also a proficient forechecker. I believe he is a natural fit on that line. Hopefully The Isles new coach sees this too, and gives them a chance.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's exactly what Barzal needs, a finisher that can put it in the net when given the right opportunity.

I just know he and Barzal will have amazing chemistry that teams will likely fear going forward.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I would love to see a third line with bellows on the left and hosang on the right with someone not named Nelson in the middle

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Bellows should play in the AHL next year. There's no reason why NYI should rush him just because it seems he'd do well with Barzal. *Everyone* will do well with Matt Barzal. NYI have Anders Lee, Anthony Beauvillier, and Andrew Ladd. Two of the three played with Barzal last year. They don't need to rush Bellows. It's much more important that he learns in the lower-pressure AHL, and his offensive development isn't stifled.

There's no reason Beauvillier can't score 30 on Barzal's wing next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wherever he plays next season. Have to credit Snow and the scouts here for getting what looks like a gem later in the first rd of the draft.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Dal Colle Broke my heart. But Bellows shot at 17 was an NHL shot. MDC has a terrific shot in juniors but I don’t remember it being thought of as highly as Bellows was pre and post draft?

In Bellows draft they said his shot was second to Laine.

MDC never had a shot like Bellows. It’s on a different tier.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yup, hate Snow for many things, but drafting Bellows and Barzal are massive hits for him and the organization.

16th and 19th overall picks. I pointed this out in another thread. The Isles actually do better when they pick from 11-30 than top 5 picks. Beauvillier is another nice hit, picked at #29, as well as Pulock at #15, Nelson at #30.. Wahlstrom and Dobson at #11 and #12 picked by Klatt/Lou this summer. All should be better than top 5 picks Neiderreiter, Reinhart, Dal Colle. andStrome.
With Ladd still out I can’t imagine bellows not making it with how much he has been impressing in the preseason

I can't see a scenario Bellows is not making the team if Ladd is on IR. He's been that good this preseason. Really like his game, he's got a goal scorer's instincts, and already one of the better releases for a player I have seen at a similar age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->