LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lafreniere really doesn’t look that different. He’s improved, but it’s not by that much. You are right there’s no real ice time difference, which makes it hard for more than marginal statistical improvements. It’s not going to show up that much on the scoresheet until he gets better ice time.
Much improved physically.

His ice time is fine. He probably wouldn't have been capable of playing more and he's getting a lot of quality ice time against for example 3rd defense pairings and lots of offensive zone starts. He's 7th on the team with his 1 66 P/60 which is fine but the offensive output probably could be higher if the Rangers allowed him to develop his offense properly by playing one more junior season.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
What a season it has been for the Firebirds
what a great thing for the city of Flint, Michigan,
that city has suffered so much in recent years.
- Conference finals

Othmann leading their play-off success.
Luke Cavallin has been driving the bus all playoffs..especially this round

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Luke Cavallin has been driving the bus all playoffs..especially this round
Yeah. I don't watch a lot of ChL but when I do what stands out to me is always the amount of soft goals scored. So I immediately noticed that it seems to take a lot to score vs Flint this season. Often takes deflections or 2nd, 3rd efforts to beat Cavallin. Very consistent and good size as well. Seems to be a bit of a late bloomer as he was struggling at ChL level for years. You think there's a chance he's on NHL teams radar? Doesn't seem to have a thread here, at least I couldn't find one.

Having said that, Othmann is still pretty much the go to guy whenever Flint needs a goal. They do get decent depth scoring but the only elite and consistent scorer is Othmann and his value goes way beyond points. Othmann is a great leader on and off the ice and an absolute pest to play against.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Very good write up, thank you. Was very good to see he was able to prove he wasn't just a co product of Wright back in the days. He carried Flint by himself when Dellandrea left...helped by great goaltending of course but offensively Flint was all Othmann and even in the playoffs no team was really able to stop him or shut him down effectively.
He had Dellandrea's departure in the back of his mind already when playing in Olten. He said back then already that he learned a lot from Dellandrea and that he has big shoes to fill but made it clear that Flint is gonna be his team once OHL hockey is back. He sure meant it exactly the way he said it. Interesting to hear he learned that much from Rytz though. I thought he was more tight with countryman and Captain Dion Knelsen back in the days and he mentioned the other import, Garry Nunn, as a great role model already because of his skill and AHL experience. I can see why he was looking up to Rytz though. Much like Othmann he's not the biggest player but tough as nails and consistently looking to stirr the pot.

So far Othmann seems to be ahead of schedule but it remains to be seen if he can make the jump to NHL hockey already. Doesn't look like he has a lot to learn in the OHL though. I'd be concerned about him developping bad habits should he stay there.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The Rangers have the following locked in at wing in the top 9: Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Kakko.

Othmann is battling Blais, Kravtsov, and Cuylle for the remaining spots in the top 9. Blais and Cuylle are both 4th line options, but Othmann needs a top 9 spot. Should be an interesting battle. I think it’s possible we see a very young Othmann - Chytil - Kravtsov line to start the season with Blais joining Goodrow and Hunt/Carpenter on the 4th.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Very good write up, thank you. Was very good to see he was able to prove he wasn't just a co product of Wright back in the days. He carried Flint by himself when Dellandrea left...helped by great goaltending of course but offensively Flint was all Othmann and even in the playoffs no team was really able to stop him or shut him down effectively.
He had Dellandrea's departure in the back of his mind already when playing in Olten. He said back then already that he learned a lot from Dellandrea and that he has big shoes to fill but made it clear that Flint is gonna be his team once OHL hockey is back. He sure meant it exactly the way he said it. Interesting to hear he learned that much from Rytz though. I thought he was more tight with countryman and Captain Dion Knelsen back in the days and he mentioned the other import, Garry Nunn, as a great role model already because of his skill and AHL experience. I can see why he was looking up to Rytz though. Much like Othmann he's not the biggest player but tough as nails and consistently looking to stirr the pot.

So far Othmann seems to be ahead of schedule but it remains to be seen if he can make the jump to NHL hockey already. Doesn't look like he has a lot to learn in the OHL though. I'd be concerned about him developping bad habits should he stay there.

I thoroughly enjoy interviewing these kids. Hearing their stories, to get the information straight from the kids themselves, and being able to ask my own questions, really makes it worth the time it takes to sit down with them and then write it up.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Rangers have the following locked in at wing in the top 9: Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Kakko.

Othmann is battling Blais, Kravtsov, and Cuylle for the remaining spots in the top 9. Blais and Cuylle are both 4th line options, but Othmann needs a top 9 spot. Should be an interesting battle. I think it’s possible we see a very young Othmann - Chytil - Kravtsov line to start the season with Blais joining Goodrow and Hunt/Carpenter on the 4th.
I'm not sure Othmann needs a top9 spot. For him as a rookie, TOI would be more important than line number or quality of linemates. I'm not sure if Othmann is NHL ready but if he is I hope the Rangers keep him around since another OHL season seems like a lost year at best.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not sure Othmann needs a top9 spot. For him as a rookie, TOI would be more important than line number or quality of linemates. I'm not sure if Othmann is NHL ready but if he is I hope the Rangers keep him around since another OHL season seems like a lost year at best.

How do you propose he gets reasonable ice time without a top 9 spot? That’s precisely the reason I said he needs to break the top 9. The Rangers 4th line is likely going to be low on minutes this year with Laf and Kakko really needing the development time.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
How do you propose he gets reasonable ice time without a top 9 spot? That’s precisely the reason I said he needs to break the top 9. The Rangers 4th line is likely going to be low on minutes this year with Laf and Kakko really needing the development time.
I’ll be shocked if he’s not back Flint next season

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know. I said pretty early that because of his tools I wouldn't be shocked if Othmann turned out to be the best player of his draft class or come close to that. However, I also said that he's gonna be a project no matter what he turns out to be in the end. So far I think we can say Othmann is ahead of schedule. Before last season I'd have agreed you that there's no way he's gonna make the Rangers in 2022. Having watched him play OHL I have to say I'm not sure anymore. Im my view, he's been the most dominant forward in the OHL, maybe the entire ChL. I certainly liked him better than Johnston and McTavish who were outstanding in their own rights but had way more offensive firepower with them on the ice. Doesn't necessarily mean Othmann is more NHL ready than say McTavish (he's most likely not). It has me questioning what Othmann has left to learn in the OHL. The only benefit I can see would be winning titles but with Flint that's a question mark now that Cavallin is gone and obviously the Rangers are winning themselves.

For those reasons I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rangers give Othmann a long look in camp and beyond. Othmann is one of the rare cases tailor made for AHL hockey when they're not eligible.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If only because of the cap squeeze and the fact that his contract can slide another year I think Othmann will be in NY starting next season. Maybe if the rangers are hit hard with injuries they bring him up sometime this year, but the cap situation will be tight for a few seasons until the TV money hits it so it will behoove Drury to let him continue to cook in Flint or perhaps somewhere in europe.

I think the NYR front office has finally learned their lesson with rushing their 1st round picks into the NHL before they are ready.

Reactions: Sayba

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If only because of the cap squeeze and the fact that his contract can slide another year I think Othmann will be in NY starting next season. Maybe if the rangers are hit hard with injuries they bring him up sometime this year, but the cap situation will be tight for a few seasons until the TV money hits it so it will behoove Drury to let him continue to cook in Flint or perhaps somewhere in europe.

I think the NYR front office has finally learned their lesson with rushing their 1st round picks into the NHL before they are ready.

Europe would be great for Othmann but why would Flint let him go?
Playing in Flint isn't gonna help Othmann at all. He was pretty much the best OHL forward last season. What more can he do? I fear it can only go the other way. I know NHL is probably far from ideal as well but I think the Rangers will take a long look and certainly consider both options.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Europe would be great for Othmann but why would Flint let him go?
Playing in Flint isn't gonna help Othmann at all. He was pretty much the best OHL forward last season. What more can he do? I fear it can only go the other way. I know NHL is probably far from ideal as well but I think the Rangers will take a long look and certainly consider both options.

The kid would benefit bigtime from a year in the AHL, alas NHL/OHL agreement is prohibitively stupid.

Reactions: Hinterland

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Agreed. There is no reason to rush him to the NHL to get 4th line minutes and stall his development. Yes going back to the OHL probably isn't that ideal (AHL is but obviously he cant),...but let him continue to get 20 min on Flint, get stronger, and work on other parts of his game. Once Flint is over he can go to the AHL for the final part of the season. Plus he can play in the WJC in Dec (in addition to the one is Aug, great experience in those tournaments).

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Agreed. There is no reason to rush him to the NHL to get 4th line minutes and stall his development. Yes going back to the OHL probably isn't that ideal (AHL is but obviously he cant),...but let him continue to get 20 min on Flint, get stronger, and work on other parts of his game. Once Flint is over he can go to the AHL for the final part of the season. Plus he can play in the WJC in Dec (in addition to the one is Aug, great experience in those tournaments).

This. People underestimate the work load of the national hockey league as a first or second year player.

You are playing games every other day and travelling. You aren’t hitting the gym hard as a rookie, having extra skating sessions, and all those training tools during the year.

It’s not just level of competition that promotes development. Extra time, minutes on the ice, opportunity far heavily outweighs being in the NHL in a bottom 6 role when it comes to development.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty much this, there isn't really room nor ice time for him on the NYR next year.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brennan Othmann is joining Team Canada on August 1st for the 2022 WJC starting on the 9th, and will skip the training camp on the 23rd for the 2023 WJC tournament (to be played in December).

Including Adam Sýkora, whose inclusion was confirmed earlier today by Rangers scout Jan Gajdošík, that is 6 confirmed Ranger prospects at the WJC with a 7th (Jaroslav Chmelař) currently trying to earn a spot.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Best to go back to Flint, continue to captain the team and potentially move to a contending OHL team at the deadline for a long run. Maybe North Bay. This along with plenty of World Junior experience will provide high leverage and important situations for him to play in this season.

If whatever team he's on is bounced early he could transition to the AHL.

Reactions: Dempsey

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Best to go back to Flint, continue to captain the team and potentially move to a contending OHL team at the deadline for a long run. Maybe North Bay. This along with plenty of World Junior experience will provide high leverage and important situations for him to play in this season.

Flint will be right where they were this past season so I don’t see Othmann going anywhere

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

His team went to the finals last year, I don't think they are going to trade him at the deadline next season if they are doing as well again.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Flint will be right where they were this past season so I don’t see Othmann going anywhere
His team went to the finals last year, I don't think they are going to trade him at the deadline next season if they are doing as well again.

Right! My bad! I wasn't sure how many players they're graduating but looks like they should be competitive again in 22-23.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brennan Othmann is joining Team Canada on August 1st for the 2022 WJC starting on the 9th, and will skip the training camp on the 23rd for the 2023 WJC tournament (to be played in December).

Including Adam Sýkora, whose inclusion was confirmed earlier today by Rangers scout Jan Gajdošík, that is 6 confirmed Ranger prospects at the WJC with a 7th (Jaroslav Chmelař) currently trying to earn a spot.

Pronman tweeting today about Othmann not being involved in 2023 WJC roster scrimmages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad