LW Artemi Panarin (2010 undrafted; 2015 signed, CHI)

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
I watched Atlant-Vityaz game yesterday and then checked Vityaz stats on KHL site.
And I just could not believe my eyes:
20 year old Artemy Panarin somehow managed to have +/- +10 after 25 games
for the team that is dead last in the west division and has -33 goal difference.
I'm not sure that Seguin or even Crosby would be able to get +10 playing for Vityaz ;)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Could just be a statistical anomaly, maybe he dives into the bench when we sees a break away.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
He was one of the leaders of Team Russia at last WJC and is getting much more playing time this season but I doubt NHL future. Too small too russian... I don't know is he drafted?
But he is highly praised in Russia. Someone called him new Datsyuk. Very quick with the puck but small. I haven't watched many Vityaz games - may be someone who did could elaborate?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He is a young undrafted forward with good stats in the KHL, but I never saw him play.

What is his style and does he have any future in the NHL?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=24664

He was one of the leader of that golden Russian team in WJC 2011 with Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. He's skilled but isn't physical. It's hard to say how good he could be in NHL. In any case I doubt SKA will let him go with ease. He looked great this season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, the guy is a beast right now. 18 pts in 11 games in the KHL.

Of course he's 5'11, 177, but still much bigger than Gaudreau.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Well, the guy is a beast right now. 18 pts in 11 games in the KHL.

Of course he's 5'11, 177, but still much bigger than Gaudreau.

Has he said anything about going to NHL? Looks like he is free agent next summer.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Has he said anything about going to NHL? Looks like he is free agent next summer.
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...emiy-Panarin-Hochu-popasti-v-siliniy-klub-NHL (in russian)

3 years ago he said :).

Google translate :laugh:
If you are given the opportunity to express themselves in a club that fights for the Gagarin Cup, you have to go there. I still grow in the "Vityaz", but if we as a team will not progress, you have to leave. And then I want to play in the NHL, I teach English for this. Although my knowledge still leave much to be desired. In the NHL, I hope to get right into a strong club that is fighting for the playoffs. But with the "Vityaz" were approaching the eighth place and the game became more interesting. Only now of the "Vityaz" I do not want to leave.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...emiy-Panarin-Hochu-popasti-v-siliniy-klub-NHL (in russian)

3 years ago he said :).

Google translate :laugh:
If you are given the opportunity to express themselves in a club that fights for the Gagarin Cup, you have to go there. I still grow in the "Vityaz", but if we as a team will not progress, you have to leave. And then I want to play in the NHL, I teach English for this. Although my knowledge still leave much to be desired. In the NHL, I hope to get right into a strong club that is fighting for the playoffs. But with the "Vityaz" were approaching the eighth place and the game became more interesting. Only now of the "Vityaz" I do not want to leave.

Of course, he's learning English not teaching. It's the same word in Russian, that's why automatic translators make mistakes.

And he plays for SKA now, which is the richest KHL club. But if he still has a dream to play in the NHL, I think he'll get a good chance to make the dream comes true, if (when?) new clubs are added.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
too small, looks like he hasn't gained any weight for the last couple of years whatsoever. he'll better off playing in the khl than having a dubious opportunity of "chasing his dream" for peanuts in the ahl

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
too small, looks like he hasn't gained any weight for the last couple of years whatsoever. he'll better off playing in the khl than having a dubious opportunity of "chasing his dream" for peanuts in the ahl

Well, if Gaudreau is good for the League being 5'8 160, then why Panarin isn't good, being taller and heavier? He's a great skater with great hands and IQ. The only problem is he can earn a lot more money in SKA than in NHL. But sometimes you have to pay for your dream.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Well, if Gaudreau is good for the League being 5'8 160, then why Panarin isn't good, being taller and heavier? He's a great skater with great hands and IQ. The only problem is he can earn a lot more money in SKA than in NHL. But sometimes you have to pay for your dream.

Did you watch Johnny Hockey at the 2014 Worlds? If Panarin has IQ, Johnny Hockey is Einstein. His ability to be as slippery as he is quite incredible. Panarin doesn't have anywhere near this ability, and he'll be on his knees an entire game while protecting the puck in the NHL because he's very weak. Unless the turns into a role player doubt he ever makes anyone's top 6 unless he bulks up and becomes stronger.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Did you watch Johnny Hockey at the 2014 Worlds? If Panarin has IQ, Johnny Hockey is Einstein. His ability to be as slippery as he is quite incredible. Panarin doesn't have anywhere near this ability, and he'll be on his knees an entire game while protecting the puck in the NHL because he's very weak. Unless the turns into a role player doubt he ever makes anyone's top 6 unless he bulks up and becomes stronger.

Well, and you have seen Panarin how many times?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Well, and you have seen Panarin how many times?

Well, this season 4 games of SKA, you don't need to see 100 games to know which player has high level of escapability when playing against larger oppositions and which player uses his Hockey sense to the utmost, Not to say he's not a decent little player but Panarin doesn't have JH's high thinking for the game. You can be 5'5 150 for all I care, but if you can think the game on a level that's superior then your counterparts as is the case of Johnny Hockey, you'll find your way to success.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

Well Panarin is now producing extremely well at a higher level Gadreau has ever played at (save for the 1 NHL game). If he can continue at a similar pace there no reason to think he couldnt be a decent NHL player

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Well Panarin is now producing extremely well at a higher level Gadreau has ever played at (save for the 1 NHL game). If he can continue at a similar pace there no reason to think he couldnt be a decent NHL player

Useless to talk about production in the khl, there's only 5 or 6 teams that can compete realistically with ska, and they haven't played any of them. You and I can produce at that rate on that team with those circumstances. Let's see how he does when he actually plays a team that knows what defense means. Nonetheless if he can produce at such a rate, Johnny Hockey would outduel him certainly playing on that team. No matter where your playing, you know when you see a good Hockey player. I don't know why people want to compare Panarin to Johnny Hockey, it's not really fair to the kid.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Useless to talk about production in the khl, there's only 5 or 6 teams that can compete realistically with ska, and they haven't played any of them. You and I can produce at that rate on that team with those circumstances. Let's see how he does when he actually plays a team that knows what defense means. Nonetheless if he can produce at such a rate, Johnny Hockey would outduel him certainly playing on that team. No matter where your playing, you know when you see a good Hockey player. I don't know why people want to compare Panarin to Johnny Hockey, it's not really fair to the kid.

Radulov has played vs the same teams as Panarin and scored 20 points in 12 games. And Da Costa who plays with Radulov has 15 points in 12 games. And the Frenchman had pretty much the same statistics in WC 2014 as Gaudreau on a much weaker team. Oh, and the tournament MVP Tikhonov who looked much better than Gaudreau right now has 6 points in 12 games playing on the same team as Panarin.

Last edited:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

Of course we could. Now get me a KHL deal, I want to be a millionaire.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

ey ey ey, common get your senses going, stats mean squat, number 87 on ska has what, 21 points and offense meant, he's not a very good Hockey player. Are you now trying to say you would take Panarin and Shipachyov ahead of Radulov?

But back to the topic, there is no way you can tell me Panarin has the Hockey sense of Gaudreau, if he had anywhere near that sense, a) he would have been drafted and b)he would be talked about way more. Have you even seen him play to compare. Highlights only say so much but take a look.

There's a reason he's on page 30 on his third thread on hf and this is still on the first page. Not to say he's not a good player but just saying Johnny Hockey is a superior Hockey player.

Last edited:

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

You kind of lost all credibility once you said " you and I can produce at that rate on that team in those circumstance".

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

ey ey ey, common get your senses going, stats mean squat, number 87 on ska has what, 21 points and offense meant, he's not a very good Hockey player. Are you now trying to say you would take Panarin and Shipachyov ahead of Radulov?

But back to the topic, there is no way you can tell me Panarin has the Hockey sense of Gaudreau, if he had anywhere near that sense, a) he would have been drafted and b)he would be talked about way more. Have you even seen him play to compare. Highlights only say so much but take a look.

There's a reason he's on page 30 on his third thread on hf and this is still on the first page. Not to say he's not a good player but just saying Johnny Hockey is a superior Hockey player.

Why do you think russia beats NA teams at WJC so consistently. Because they have these hidden gems who are arguably just as good as any canadian or US boy. If that wasn't the case, Russia would get pumped.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013

Hahaha. This post.

Panarin doesn't have as much pages on HFboards as Johnny G, there is no way he is even close to being as good. Because anyone can produce in the KHL. NCAA is for real men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad