LW Artemi Panarin (2010 undrafted; 2015 signed, CHI)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Useless to talk about production in the khl, there's only 5 or 6 teams that can compete realistically with ska, and they haven't played any of them. You and I can produce at that rate on that team with those circumstances. Let's see how he does when he actually plays a team that knows what defense means. Nonetheless if he can produce at such a rate, Johnny Hockey would outduel him certainly playing on that team. No matter where your playing, you know when you see a good Hockey player. I don't know why people want to compare Panarin to Johnny Hockey, it's not really fair to the kid.

I still think it was fair.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Funny I remember watching his first games in the KHL and he was so good at such a young age. I watched him (believe he was only 16/17 at the time) because Chris Simon had played with him for Vityaz and said that he was one of the best players at that age he had ever seen in terms of raw talent. I couldn't believe he was that good and gone by the NHL unnoticed (I wrote several posts about this back several years ago in the KHL section). Then at the WJC he had great performance, still no NHL attention. Then he got signed by SKA, joined their mega offense, won the league championship alongside Kovy, who he also outscored during the year. Finally NHL attention. Its been a long time coming, this kid has been great for so long he deserves any success that comes his way.

Interesting Igor Larionov in an article over the summer eluded to several other "Datsyuk's" in the KHL who only need the right opportunity to shine. Obviously he is comparing the level of talent and not the style of player. I believe Panarin was one of the players who he was referring too (also think Nikita Gusev, fits into this category, another guy who may come to the NHL in within the next couple of seasons).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Funny I remember watching his first games in the KHL and he was so good at such a young age. I watched him (believe he was only 16/17 at the time) because Chris Simon had played with him for Vityaz and said that he was one of the best players at that age he had ever seen in terms of raw talent. I couldn't believe he was that good and gone by the NHL unnoticed (I wrote several posts about this back several years ago in the KHL section). Then at the WJC he had great performance, still no NHL attention. Then he got signed by SKA, joined their mega offense, won the league championship alongside Kovy, who he also outscored during the year. Finally NHL attention. Its been a long time coming, this kid has been great for so long he deserves any success that comes his way.

Interesting Igor Larionov in an article over the summer eluded to several other "Datsyuk's" in the KHL who only need the right opportunity to shine. Obviously he is comparing the level of talent and not the style of player. I believe Panarin was one of the players who he was referring too (also think Nikita Gusev, fits into this category, another guy who may come to the NHL in within the next couple of seasons).

There is a kid Maxim Kazakov on Metallurg Novokuznetsk. 22 yo, 5'8, 168, but he's 8+7 after 19 games. If not him, Stoa and Kaprizov, Novokuznetsk is a VHL team. Really fast, great hands, IQ and everything.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Pavel Buchnevich.

Canuck71*

Looking back on this thread

The kid has been as advertised ,, Simply amazing

Ya seriously. Its pretty amazing you can trade away both Saad and Sharp and people expect a void. Then the Hawks go out and get this super skilled young russian and its like they haven't missed a beat. The Hawks are gunna be a good team for a long time.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Knew he will rock in NHL too, when I saw him playing KHL against Jokerit. SKA PP was killing it that year..

Panarin - Tikhonov - Thoresen
Kovalchuk - Kalinin

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Who will be better. Gaudreau or PAnarin.

I think what Gaudreau is doing with little help in Calgary this year is amazing. Panarin has a much better supporting cast. That said, coach Q moved him away from Kane to get Toews more offence so that says volumes about Pans abilities. I probubly would lean slightly towards JG but they both are great.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I watched Atlant-Vityaz game yesterday and then checked Vityaz stats on KHL site.
And I just could not believe my eyes:
20 year old Artemy Panarin somehow managed to have +/- +10 after 25 games
for the team that is dead last in the west division and has -33 goal difference.
I'm not sure that Seguin or even Crosby would be able to get +10 playing for Vityaz ;)

This why the Hawks have three Stanley Cups in six years, and that's why the bottom feeders don't, it's like the Leafs sign Soshnikov and the Hawks sign Panarin.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Pan has 4 goals, and 7 primary assists to 5 differant guys

JG has 4 goals and 11 primary assists to 6 differant guys

Panarin and JG both create their own offence as well as be key contributors to other guys.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This why the Hawks have three Stanley Cups in six years, and that's why the bottom feeders don't, it's like the Leafs sign Soshnikov and the Hawks sign Panarin.

You're mixing up cause and effect. The Hawks have three Stanley Cups in six years, therefore they can sign guys like Panarin. There were, at minimum, half a dozen NHL teams vying for Panarin last summer, and the Hawks got him in large part because they're the most successful franchise of the past decade.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
You're mixing up cause and effect. The Hawks have three Stanley Cups in six years, therefore they can sign guys like Panarin. There were, at minimum, half a dozen NHL teams vying for Panarin last summer, and the Hawks got him in large part because they're the most successful franchise of the past decade.

Obviously he likes winning, don't need that kind of guy in the big smoke.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I thought he was right-handed,but he is left-handed
signs autographs with his left hand

Last edited by a moderator:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Knowing how it's turned out, what number he could go in 2010 draft, I wonder. I think he'd be top10 now.

And Tarasenko still has the least number of points out of them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad