TV: Luther (BBC One)

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
I watched the first couple of episodes and it didn't quite do it for me. The relationship between Luther and the serial killer was just a little too weird for me I think.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Phew quite a ride.

Can someone tell me how did the Scottish dude and the black chick have so much power? Under who's supervision were they acting? They just take random people willy nilly?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I watched the first couple of episodes and it didn't quite do it for me. The relationship between Luther and the serial killer was just a little too weird for me I think.

I don't know that she is a serial killer necessarily.

She killed her parents and it's implied that they did something to her at some point in the past but they never went into it.

And she killed Luther's ex partner who tried to frame him and killed his ex-wife.

I don't know if that makes her a serial killer. Not in the way that I see serial killers anyway. She is a bit of a psychopath for sure though.

Anyway, it kind of made the show interesting for me. Their relationship was a bit bizarre and I thought it was a fitting end to the series.

They plan on possibly making a movie but the tv show is over now.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
She is a full on psychopath but not a serial killer. Dexter is a serial killer. Patrick Bateman is psychopath.

Have they even had any sexual/physical relationship?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
She is a full on psychopath but not a serial killer. Dexter is a serial killer. Patrick Bateman is psychopath.

Have they even had any sexual/physical relationship?

No, they haven't. I just watched all episodes in the past 2 weeks so I'm an expert now ;)

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Kinda weird, they never even kissed either. Maybe Luther just wanted to get something new. :sarcasm:

Interested what kind of relationship they'll have when Alice just decides to kill someone who was bothering her and all Luther would be able to say will be: "ooh Ali .... come on ... not again."

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Kinda weird, they never even kissed either. Maybe Luther just wanted to get something new. :sarcasm:

Interested what kind of relationship they'll have when Alice just decides to kill someone who was bothering her and all Luther would be able to say will be: "ooh Ali .... come on ... not again."

I don't think the writers had answers for any of that and didn't want to go into it. That's probably why she left for a while then came back at the very end.

We'll see if they ever make a movie.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Phew quite a ride.

Can someone tell me how did the Scottish dude and the black chick have so much power? Under who's supervision were they acting? They just take random people willy nilly?

They were from the English equivalent of internal investigations.

Yeah, Erin was promoted to DCI and Stark (DSU) was heading up an Internal Affairs investigation on Luther.

I just found how they blamed Luther for murdering Ripley and conspiring to murder Mary a little weak. Marwood's was known to use a shotgun, wasn't he?

villevalo

Feb 29, 2012
UK
Yeah, Erin was promoted to DCI and Stark (DSU) was heading up an Internal Affairs investigation on Luther.

I just found how they blamed Luther for murdering Ripley and conspiring to murder Mary a little weak. Marwood's was known to use a shotgun, wasn't he?

That was kind of the point, the Scott hated Luther to the extent that he was willing to look past the obvious and dig the knife in on Luther.

Tbh I didn't love this series, the first two had something fresh and quirky about it, it felt like this third season tried to be more gritty and edgy and it lost a lot of what made the first two series great.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
That was kind of the point, the Scott hated Luther to the extent that he was willing to look past the obvious and dig the knife in on Luther.

Tbh I didn't love this series, the first two had something fresh and quirky about it, it felt like this third season tried to be more gritty and edgy and it lost a lot of what made the first two series great.

I guess, but Erin played along and only that night she admitted to Ripley that she had "taken a wrong turn". I get they were trying to do everything to put him away right or wrong. Even looking down the barrel of a gun she asks "did Luther put you up to this?". Who gives a ****, you're about to die! :shakehead. Whatever, it's just me being picky.

Series 2 was definitely my favorite with the twins playing the points game with the random killings. The truck scene was awesome.

Hotstreak

Jul 18, 2005
I guess, but Erin played along and only that night she admitted to Ripley that she had "taken a wrong turn". I get they were trying to do everything to put him away right or wrong. Even looking down the barrel of a gun she asks "did Luther put you up to this?". Who gives a ****, you're about to die! :shakehead. Whatever, it's just me being picky.

Series 2 was definitely my favorite with the twins playing the points game with the random killings. The truck scene was awesome.

Totally agree with you. They may be internal affairs, but they still must need some more concrete evidence than what they had to officially arrest Luther like they did. Their explanation was full of holes...they claimed he had/attempted to have killed "the two people who could incriminate you." Except Ripley had already gone on record to them that he had never seen Luther do anything wrong, and Mary barely knew him really, what could she have possibly known??? Also laughable is how they claimed he "just let Marwood go." Well, yeah he had a freaking shotgun pointed at him!!! Kind of ruined the episode for me...that and the two Internal Affairs officers both running off after some unknown sound and COMPLETELY LEAVING MARY UNGUARDED. That was a real facepalm.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Mary didn't even know anything, right? He never told her ****. He was going to but then **** went down.

Hotstreak

Jul 18, 2005
And did anyone think it was strange that Luther never carried a gun? I mean, I know police officers in England don't normally carry guns, but the guy wasn't walking a beat, he was chasing down a maniac with a shotgun...maybe pick up a pistol at least....

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yeah that really annoyed me. Also the whole thing with the camera recording made no sense. It's not like it was a live youtube feed. He could've shot Alice and got rid of the video, or just edit it.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
And did anyone think it was strange that Luther never carried a gun? I mean, I know police officers in England don't normally carry guns, but the guy wasn't walking a beat, he was chasing down a maniac with a shotgun...maybe pick up a pistol at least....

Luther wouldn't be allowed to carry a gun regardless of the situation.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Stringer Bell rewls. Will watch later tonight. S1 and 2 on Netflix.
Really looking forward to this. I'm celebrating the return of football by dropping all my crime/murder/police shows except historical dramas and the BBC of course.

Sep 19, 2008
Truly epic post. The 129k posts makes more sense now :laugh:

This series is absolutely amazing. I just finished watching Series 1 today.

But I'm confused about episode 5. So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

Sep 19, 2008
The first series of Luther is likely the best series of television in the history of television. The second series is alright, I'm only on the 3rd ep though. Little disappointed there are only 5 eps left. (S2 and s3 are each 4 eps long)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad