TV: Luther (BBC One)

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
johnalice.jpg

Luther is a British psychological crime drama television series, starring Idris Elba as the titular character Detective Chief Inspector John Luther. A first series of six episodes was broadcast on BBC One from 4 May to 8 June 2010. A second series of two episodes has also been commissioned. The show premiered in the United States on BBC America on October 17, 2010.

Luther works in law enforcement for London's SCU (Serious Crime Unit). After dealing with a traumatic case involving a child killer named Henry Madsen, Luther suffers a mental breakdown which has put his marriage to Zoe at risk.

Such a great show, I can't wait for the 2nd season... 6 Episodes is not nearly enough! Damn you Brits!

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Got my hopes up season 3 was out.

I love this show and I've always hated these crime/drama type shows, Luther is the only one I've been able to watch. Idris Elba is awesome

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Watched both seasons of this a few months ago. Absolutely spectacular television. Idris Elba is awesome.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Yeah apparantely season 3 is the last season before they make a movie about it. I can't wait.

I kind of love/hate these BBC shows like Sherlock and Luther. Their episodes take so long to make and there are only 4 or 6 of them in a season but they are absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, after watching this show, I now have a massive crush on Ruth Wilson.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Terrific series. I've been banging the drum for this show since I saw an episode in Dublin in the spring of last year. I think it is the perfect role for Elba.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It's a good show, and Idris Elba is excellent in it, but I think it gets a bit too much praise. You still see a lot of the same old cliches you get in most cop/detective procedural dramas. I think it was the taxi driver serial killer episode (speaking of re-used ideas) where they even used the CSI-patented 'zoom-enhance' trope.

villevalo

Feb 29, 2012
UK
I really love it but it's not been that well received here in the UK, pretty much think its being made because of how popular it is when shown elsewhere.

Z0S0

May 28, 2007
Campbellford
Two episodes of Series 3 have already aired. Who else has been watching?

Loved the last episode, it is definitely one of my favourite shows out there right now.

Last edited:

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Heard they were making season 3 but didn't know it was airing already.

Show is great, love Idris Elba one of my newerish guys in Hollywood, glad to see this show get more love too and him getting more bigger roles (seeing Pacific Rim specifically because of him)

Stringer is still my fav character he has played, but Luther is a bad ass too

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a good show, and Idris Elba is excellent in it, but I think it gets a bit too much praise. You still see a lot of the same old cliches you get in most cop/detective procedural dramas. I think it was the taxi driver serial killer episode (speaking of re-used ideas) where they even used the CSI-patented 'zoom-enhance' trope.
I agree. I think it's a solid show, but I don't totally understand the love it's getting, personally.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Yeah, thanks for the bump, had no idea the new series had started.

Caught up with the first two episodes this morning, still really good but just not quite the same without Alice, hope she returns later in the series.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I really enjoyed the latest episode because
[spoil]I freaking hated ripley for such a long time [/spoil]

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Caught up on this season last night. I hate how it's only four episodes.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
All caught up. Amazing stuff. Can't wait for the finale. Only four episodes - damn you, Brits, and your 'quality over quantity' mantra.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
My prediction? Alice shows up in the final episode and kills the "internal affairs" type who's after Luther.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad