TV: Luther (BBC One)

DannoManno*

The first series of Luther is likely the best series of television in the history of television. The second series is alright, I'm only on the 3rd ep though. Little disappointed there are only 5 eps left. (S2 and s3 are each 4 eps long)

Why can't the British just call them seasons like real Americans? :laugh:

What the **** do the even call the actual series finale of a television series?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the first season might be my favourite single season of series television ever. Who would have guessed that Stringer Bell was an Englishman? In the first episode, it took me about 20 minutes to figure out who I was watching.

Reactions: member 51464
Sep 19, 2008
The series is good, but I also like the endings to each episode where they play music.

Oh c'mon baby, let's get out of the cold
And gimme gimme gimme your precious love for me to hold
C'mon baby come out of the cold
And gimme gimme gimme your precious love for me to hold

Series 1 finale was good too.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Why can't the British just call them seasons like real Americans? :laugh:

What the **** do the even call the actual series finale of a television series?

Because their series are usually much shorter than the seasons of American TV shows.

4-6 weeks is not a "season".

The first series of Luther is likely the best series of television in the history of television. The second series is alright, I'm only on the 3rd ep though. Little disappointed there are only 5 eps left. (S2 and s3 are each 4 eps long)

I have never seen an episode of TV that has made me as angry as the final two episodes of series two.

Sep 19, 2008
Because their series are usually much shorter than the seasons of American TV shows.

4-6 weeks is not a "season".

I have never seen an episode of TV that has made me as angry as the final two episodes of series two.

Those eps were alright but obviously not as good as S1. The whole RPG thing was weird, and then the twist about the twins was pretty odd too. I like the resolution though. "Shoot him between the A and the R, aim low!"

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tbh I didn't love this series, the first two had something fresh and quirky about it, it felt like this third season tried to be more gritty and edgy and it lost a lot of what made the first two series great.
I agree with this completely. I just finished the final episode tonight, which I thought redeemed season 3 a little bit, thanks to Alice. But until tonight I thought it was a pretty pedestrian stuff. But Alice and Luther--how many couples in screen or TV history have that kind of chemistry? The writing seems to improve by about 80% whenever she is around, too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched the final episode on Finnish tv. One Finnish paper commented on it that they're planning a spin-off series based on Alice Morgan.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Just knocked out the entire show the past two days -_- ... Absolutely fantastic.

I agree that S3 was a bit weaker then the rest, although the show as a whole is easily towards the top of my favorites. The chemistry between Alice and Luthor was pretty remarkable, hopefully the movie/spinoff news is true.

RJ8812*

damn. was hoping this bump would be telling me season 4 was coming out...

member 51464

Still haven't watched Season 3. I suppose it has been long enough I should rewatch 1 & 2 first.

member 51464

Ooops, my mistake.

Oh, yeah. I loved it the first time through. The opening scene of (I believe) the first episode of season 2 at the gas station was some incredible tension.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Woah. Sneaky edit, haha.
If stupidity and poor reading skills can be a barometer of sneakiness, yeah, I guess so, guilty as charged.

Anyway, I'll just add a provocative statement for the hell of it: forget Dean, Brando, Mitchum, Delon, Newman, McQueen, Bogie, whoever else comes to mind, nobody has ever been more cool on the screen than Idris Elba in Season One of Luther.

member 51464

Wow, man. That is a big one to drop when it is my bedtime. I'll have to ponder that one and get back to it in the morning, haha. Hooray snow days.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Idris Elba is one of my favorite actors, but the dude is nowhere near as cool as McQueen or Humphrey. It's been a LONG time since I watched this show. I wonder if it's still on Netflix. Definitely a really refreshing and cool take on cop dramas

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Idris Elba is one of my favorite actors, but the dude is nowhere near as cool as McQueen or Humphrey. It's been a LONG time since I watched this show. I wonder if it's still on Netflix. Definitely a really refreshing and cool take on cop dramas
Dean's the competition. McQueen is right up there. I honestly don't think Bogie is that cool. Got the right attitude and landed some iconic roles. Right time, right place sort of thing. But, cool? Don't see it. Underrated cool: William Holden--just as opportunistic and cynical as Bogie, but better looking and smarter.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Luther is a depressed, suicidal, nothing to lose, all alone cop. Great character, but not exactly bustling with style and cool.

I bet you've never even seen a Humphrey Bogart movie Kihei. Do you even know who he is? :sarcasm:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Luther is a depressed, suicidal, nothing to lose, all alone cop. Great character, but not exactly bustling with style and cool.

I bet you've never even seen a Humphrey Bogart movie Kihei. Do you even know who he is? :sarcasm:
Leave out the cop bit, and that's a perfect description of James Dean's character in Rebel without a Cause. "Nothing to lose" is often grounds for "cool." One could also argue that Elba as Luther is attractive, stylish in his rumpled way (whoever figured out his modest but faultless wardrobe gets high marks), iconoclastic, anti-authoritarian, risk-taking, and totally his own man. Plus, Elba has a significant trump card: I don't know what it is (East London?) but that accent is just totally completely perfect.

As for knowing Bogie, I like the guy. One of the all-time greats. I just think he is overrated in the cool department.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Luther is adorable, 'cause he isn't perfect. Despite his strenghts, he has several weaknesses to deal with at the same time.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Leave out the cop bit, and that's a perfect description of James Dean's character in Rebel without a Cause. "Nothing to lose" is often grounds for "cool." One could also argue that Elba as Luther is attractive, stylish in his rumpled way (whoever figured out his modest but faultless wardrobe gets high marks), iconoclastic, anti-authoritarian, risk-taking, and totally his own man. Plus, Elba has a significant trump card: I don't know what it is (East London?) but that accent is just totally completely perfect.

As for knowing Bogie, I like the guy. One of the all-time greats. I just think he is overrated in the cool department.

Good point about Dean. I read a biography on McQueen and a lot of the same stuff was what gave him his personality.

Luther came off as more "awesome" than "cool" to me. Semantics, I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->