TV: Luther (BBC One)

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
How ironclad was that confirmation, though? You don't think there might be some wiggle room in there, what with Alice being such a clever girl and all? I can't see Alice bowing out quite so far off stage. Perhaps, as it appears, she is dead. But unless Wilson just doesn't want to do any more of Alice, I wouldn't discount any possibility. I'd bet, though, that Luther will end up being a love story. Been wrong before, though, so....

That's my thought also. A character like Alice just isn't one that you kill off quietly off screen, in some simple robbery gone wrong in a foreign country. She's just too compelling a character to do that.

You don't kill a major character like Alice the way they did unless you want there to be ambiguity about whether or not she is really dead, and I think they left a few hints in the series suggesting that she might still be alive.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How ironclad was that confirmation, though? You don't think there might be some wiggle room in there, what with Alice being such a clever girl and all? I can't see Alice bowing out quite so far off stage. Perhaps, as it appears, she is dead. But unless Wilson just doesn't want to do any more of Alice, I wouldn't discount any possibility. I'd bet, though, that Luther will end up being a love story. Been wrong before, though, so....

I think they said the Belgians had her body and were just waiting for the forensic report. I think it was verified by fingerprints and dental records.

Isn't Ruth Wilson kind of busy as well these days with The Affair and other stuff?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think they said the Belgians had her body and were just waiting for the forensic report. I think it was verified by fingerprints and dental records.

Isn't Ruth Wilson kind of busy as well these days with The Affair and other stuff?
That would be the only reason. If Wilson didn't want to do any more Alice, than obviously game over. But I hope she can be enticed--because there is a certain logic to how this series should end.

DaDucks*

Bone dry on things to watch.. Guess I'll give this a try on Netflix

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Two episodes in and there seems to an awful lot happening. I'm guessing it's 6 episode series, based on the BBC announcer saying there would be episodes every night for the rest of the week after the Doctor Who New Year's special.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Two episodes in and there seems to an awful lot happening. I'm guessing it's 6 episode series, based on the BBC announcer saying there would be episodes every night for the rest of the week after the Doctor Who New Year's special.

According to IMDB there is 4 episodes this season.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This show is really struggling to hold my interest heading into the 2nd episode of season three

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How did Alice know Luther would be at the original crime scene?

And did anyone notice Benny's eyes move when they showed him in the back of the van?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Season Four: Wacky subplot and a woefully unsatisfying denouement.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The show's ok, but so overrated. I've seen the first 4 seasons and 2 out of the 4 episodes from the new season, so I'm not someone that quit early on and is making baseless criticisms. I like Elba and Wilson, but the villains in this show are so god damn cartoony and over the top. Is there a reason why every villain has to be a murderous psychopath with no empathy, as opposed to a human being with some interesting motivations?

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The show's ok, but so overrated. I've seen the first 4 seasons and 2 out of the 4 episodes from the new season, so I'm not someone that quit early on and is making baseless criticisms. I like Elba and Wilson, but the villains in this show are so god damn cartoony and over the top. Is there a reason why every villain has to be a murderous psychopath with no empathy, as opposed to a human being with some interesting motivations?
I don't think the first season is overrated in the least, and I think Season Two is pretty good, too, but after that, the series really seems to have lost its footing.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't think the first season is overrated in the least, and I think Season Two is pretty good, too, but after that, the series really seems to have lost its footing.

Honestly, beyond money, there was no reason to make season 4. Creatively it was uninspired and a waste of time. Season 5 seems ok so far. Not great by any means, but at least better than 4.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Honestly, beyond money, there was no reason to make season 4. Creatively it was uninspired and a waste of time. Season 5 seems ok so far. Not great by any means, but at least better than 4.

Unfortunately it's not. What kihei said is pretty much my opinion as well. It felt rushed and not cohesive or sensible given the characters behaviour in past seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad