Injury Report: Lupul

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if, and who, the leafs call up to replace Lupul -- as I'd imagine we're looking at a few weeks minimum.

Realistically, MacArthur is a better fit than Kadri on the top line LW, and you're not going to break up a JvR-Grabo-Kulemin line.... which basically leaves Kadri on an island.

Yeah, the easy move is to promote Jay McClement and get Steckel into the lineup, but that doesn't really give Kadri the finisher he needs on his line in order to be successful.

Based on fit, it should probably be Frattin. Based on earning it, it should probably be Steckel. I don't buy the showcase Connolly excuse. He'd be better saved for a little later in the year or if Toronto loses a centre.

On the one side, it gives Steckel the opportunity to get into the lineup.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Call up Frattin.
Put Mac on the first line.
When Lupul returns, trade Mac at the deadline.
Problem solved.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Call up Frattin put him in Lupul pace and keep everything the same so lines can gel and get familiar with each other

Frattin's job on that line is to get in on the forecheck to the dirty work just like Lupul was doing. If he does that and crashes the net looking for Kessel rebounds he will be ok

We have 3 lines to score so no need for Frattin to put any pressure on him. Play the game and do all the little things

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I would not be concerned with the long-term contract of Lupul. The Leafs have so much money they can deal with it, plus there is LTIR (Long term injury reserve).

Sucks for the guy since he was just getting his career on track. Great person and an awesome player.

Heal quick Joffrey!

It's $5 million they won't be able to spend July 1st. Any chance, however small that may have been, of landing both Perry and Getzlaf went out the window with Lupul's extension.

DaveT83*

April 3rd Mac should be dealt irregardless of our position in the standings were not making a run at the cup and he doesn't serve a purpose next season so dealing him makes the most sense

Couldn't agree more. All he's doing is taking up roster space from 'Better Suited' players. I don't see any teams terribly interested in his services - might get a chance at deadline to move him. Until then we should sub him in and out of 4th line with Orr.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It's $5 million they won't be able to spend July 1st. Any chance, however small that may have been, of landing both Perry and Getzlaf went out the window with Lupul's extension.

Lets be realistic, the odds were IMO slim at best they sign here. I mean do you really think Anahiem is going to let both its star players walk for nothing, even if one or both walk, keep this in mind when was the last time a big name ticket came to town? Lets say they become available odds are its Getzlaf who serves a better purpose and lets say he wants to sign here, I'm sure Nonis will find ways to make that happen by trading a player or two.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
The fact that connolly is on the roster makes me think he is getting the call. The leafs site roster was the one to break the gardiner return too.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I like the idea of Frattin just being punched into the 1st line to keep some line consistency, although I also don't mind Bozak being sent down...

Either way works for me
Frattin Bozak Kessel OR (and kind of cooler, but maybe not better) JVR Kadri Kessel

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
this in mind when was the last time a big name ticket came to town?

Because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it cannot happen. The Leafs were going into this off season with the cap space and financial means to move mountains. Now they're in a similar position to a lot of other teams putting them at a severe disadvantage.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it cannot happen. The Leafs were going into this off season with the cap space and financial means to move mountains. Now they're in a similar position to a lot of other teams putting them at a severe disadvantage.

I never said it hasnt happened, I just said its rare, and I never totally dismissed them coming here. The leafs can find space if Getzlaf or Perry choose to come here, there is always options, nothing happens that can't be rectified.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I like the idea of Frattin just being punched into the 1st line to keep some line consistency, although I also don't mind Bozak being sent down...

Either way works for me
Frattin Bozak Kessel OR (and kind of cooler, but maybe not better) JVR Kadri Kessel

Kadri as much progress as he's made, he's not ready for that role. I mean he got slaughtered in his faceoffs tonight, you cant be sucky in that area if you expect to play on the top line.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
Poor Loops...hopefully it heals well and he can put this behind him and drop the bad luck that follows him around

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Guy's unlucky apparently.

Hurry back Lupes.

In the meantime I'd love to see what Frattin can do this year.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I never said it hasnt happened, I just said its rare, and I never totally dismissed them coming here. The leafs can find space if Getzlaf or Perry choose to come here, there is always options, nothing happens that can't be rectified.

They can find space for one of them, sure. I was thinking of both of them.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Frattin deserves to be in the NHL, only reason he wasn't was because he is 3 NHL games away from able to be picked up from waivers.

The reason he wasn't on the team is because he didn't outplay the players who made the team (for the role(s) he was competing for). His skillset has yet to translate well to the big league, and has been snakebitten on the Marlies for the last little while, with only one goal in his last 10 games.

So what happens if he's called up, and doesn't turn his season around in a much better league? Does he get claimed by the Isles when he's sent back down after Lupul returns?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00