Injury Report: Lupul

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
after last night I can't see anyway they break up JVR Grabovski Kulemon to replace Lupul.

I'd imagine Macarthur slots in.

SteveV*

after last night I can't see anyway they break up JVR Grabovski Kulemon to replace Lupul.

I'd imagine Macarthur slots in.

That's a pretty small line then! I think the smart move is having the power forward JVR on top line. If anything you get the hot hand on the top line, and Mac back with Grabo is such a natural fit, not like they haven't produced prior.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You call up Frattin, then move JVR to the top line. JVR is the perfect fit replacement, then you reunite the Grabo, Kul, Mac line and Frattin slots in with Kadri and Kom.

Agreed. That's the logical move to start with for now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's a pretty small line then! I think the smart move is having the power forward JVR on top line. If anything you get the hot hand on the top line, and Mac back with Grabo is such a natural fit, not like they haven't produced prior.

Could be but I doubt it.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Two things I would note
1. Lupul is ole splodey bones injury prone winger he has always been in his career (this is like Armstrong 2.0 but worse with Lupul)
2. Phaneuf really needs to control his shots. He is danger to his team mates out there. And there is not reason that a shot needs to be that high. Keep it at knee level or lower so players can tip it and not above the waist which is asking for injuries. Phaneuf really needs to practice his slapper so to avoid injuring more leaf players.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
After last night you have to keep that JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin unit together. Look for Frattin to be called up and slotted either on the first or third line.

In burke I trust*

i say we leave jvr on the second line, put c mac on the first, and frattin on the third. The Van Russian line is playing very well based on last night and i think we should keep it going, if JVR can keep a steady spot on a line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Two things I would note
1. Lupul is ole splodey bones injury prone winger he has always been in his career (this is like Armstrong 2.0 but worse with Lupul)
2. Phaneuf really needs to control his shots. He is danger to his team mates out there. And there is not reason that a shot needs to be that high. Keep it at knee level or lower so players can tip it and not above the waist which is asking for injuries. Phaneuf really needs to practice his slapper so to avoid injuring more leaf players.

He took a wild thing shot, when you have a crowd like that you shoot low!

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
since we have last change at home today, I move Kadri up to Kessel's line and let them use their speed against whichever D pair is least capable of punishing them. hopefully we'll rack up even-strength goals from lines one and two.

long-term, putting JVR there until Lupul gets back is probably inevitable.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
With the injury to Lupul I really want to see Kadri get the invite up to the top line, at least for a couple games. Kadri has been the most consistently dangerous guy on the ice so far, he deserves his shot at top line minutes right now (and I wouldn't want to break up the second line from last night either)

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Two things I would note

Seriously. Does he think guys will keep going to the net like Carlyle wants if he's shooting at guys rib cages. I feel like he just tries to shoot as hard as possible, maybe if he took something off he'd have better accuracy.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2013/01/ouches-starting-to-pile-up.html

This is lousy timing for the 2-1 Leafs, but even more so for Lupul who signed a five-year, $26.5 million contract extension.

He'll get paid, of course. But his reputation in some eyes as a little brittle won't be helped, unfair as that is given that this was totally a freak injury.

Lupul misses almost all of 2010 with complications from back surgery. Last year, he suffered a shoulder injury that ruined what was a career season. He was so intent on making this season a good one he decided not to join Canada at the world championships, preferring instead to rehab his shoulder.

He reluctantly went to Russia during the lockout to get his game going, and according to GM Dave Nonis, came to camp in "excellent" shape.

Now this. Hey, that's hockey. The Leafs, at least, have some depth on the wing they can call upon if necessary, with Matt Frattin just a call away with the Marlies. Wednesday night's game saw the first offensive flashes from James Van Riemsdyk, and Phil Kessel's sure getting lots of quality chances, isn't he?

But at the same time, the Leafs aren't the deepest team in hockey, and the loss of a player like Lupul will be felt, as much or more as Greene or Downie or Smith. Heck, the Detroit Red Wings seem to be losing a defenceman a day, and Vancouver has yet to see Ryan Kesler or David Booth.

Keep your eye on the injury lists, folks. That's where this NHL season may be won or lost.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Two things I would note

It was a freak accident. It's not like everytime Lupul gets hit with a puck or takes a hit on the ice he gets injured. If that were the case, then I would agree with your assessment but you're off the mark. It's not like DiPeitro where the guy will pull a constant groin just by sliding from one side of his crease to the other. His back was the only major issue that had an reoccuring problem and since his return from that injury, it hasn't been an issue. Don't confuse freak injuries with being injury prone. None of us can say that if it were someone else standing in that exact same position and that same puck hit them in the exact same spot as Lupul that the other person wouldn't have gotten injured from it.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
i say we leave jvr on the second line, put c mac on the first, and frattin on the third. The Van Russian line is playing very well based on last night and i think we should keep it going, if JVR can keep a steady spot on a line.

As long as they keep it going, keep them together. The lack of net presence on Kessel's line concerns me somewhat.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
National Post: Joffrey Lupul expected to miss up to six weeks with broken forearm

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...-to-miss-up-to-six-weeks-with-broken-forearm/

Toronto Maple Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul is expected to miss up to six weeks with a broken forearm, coach Randy Carlyle said on Thursday, as the team recalled forward Matt Frattin from its American Hockey League affiliate.

Lupul suffered a broken forearm when a Dion Phaneuf shot hit him in the second period of a 5-2 win in Pittsburgh on Wednesday

“Matt is an offensive player,†Carlyle said. “We talked about him about a week ago, that he hadn’t performed to the level that we thought he was capable of. And now he’s getting another opportunity.â€

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
how about we go after petr sykora? to replace lupul for now.
jvr-bozak-kessel
sykora-grabo-kuli
mac-kadri-komorov
sykora might be a good fit on that russian line, leadership, veteran.
he may come cheap 1 mil.
just asking

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
One report says that Carlyle said AT LEAST 6 weeks. The media report says up to 6 weeks.

I hope of all his bones, his forearm bones can heal quick.

phillycheesekessel

Jan 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It was a freak accident. It's not like everytime Lupul gets hit with a puck or takes a hit on the ice he gets injured. If that were the case, then I would agree with your assessment but you're off the mark. It's not like DiPeitro where the guy will pull a constant groin just by sliding from one side of his crease to the other. His back was the only major issue that had an reoccuring problem and since his return from that injury, it hasn't been an issue. Don't confuse freak injuries with being injury prone. None of us can say that if it were someone else standing in that exact same position and that same puck hit them in the exact same spot as Lupul that the other person wouldn't have gotten injured from it.

But man phaneufs shot, i agree with the guy you responded too. he takes too many wild shots. ive always hated phaneuf on our team, i agree he brings a lot to the team but god damn

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00