Lupul vs Subban

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
lol at all the Habs fans blindly defending the guy and pretending everyone else is only mad cause it was PK.

Clearly he didn't do anything wrong. THAT'S why he apologized to Lupul for hitting him while he was taking off the helmet while the two were in the box.

Look at the video careful and respond to these questions while being truthful, don't lie. After which I will ask you some follow up questions.

1. Do you not see Subban heading for his helmet? Look carefully, you'll see his hand.
2. Is not Lupul approaching Subban in the video? Look carefulle, you'll see he's skating towards P.K

Answers these truthfully(they have also been acknowledges by non-habs) and then I will ask you more questions.

As for people only being mad because it's P.K. We have 3 posters here that have already stated that they don't like P.K because he plays for the habs, so already we have some people admitting that they are trolling solely because of the team....So are we really that crazy.

Anyway, answer the questions.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
Look at the video careful and respond to these questions while being truthful, don't lie. After which I will ask you some follow up questions.

1. Do you not see Subban heading for his helmet? Look carefully, you'll see his hand.
2. Is not Lupul approaching Subban in the video? Look carefulle, you'll see he's skating towards P.K

Answers these truthfully(they have also been acknowledges by non-habs) and then I will ask you more questions.

As for people only being mad because it's P.K. We have 3 posters here that have already stated that they don't like P.K because he plays for the habs, so already we have some people admitting that they are trolling solely because of the team....So are we really that crazy.

Anyway, answer the questions.

Yes to both questions.

I never said PK purposely suckered him. He did hit him while he wasn't prepared, but I realize in the heat of the moment, with Lupul skating towards him, I'd be a little jumpy too.

Doesn't make the way the Habs homers in this thread are reacting any less hilarious. Especially after PK himself admitted he made a mistake, some people here are unable to do so. I was criticizing them more so than PK.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
So in the thread about the Schenn hit from behind on Pacioretty,
most people blame Pacioretty for putting himself in a vulnerable position.

So how come the same people are blaming Subban when Lupul puts himself in a vulnerable position ?
If Lupul truly intended to remove his helmet, why did he skate directly into Subban ?

I defended Avery in the whole "was it a sucker punch" debate.
If you drop the gloves, a fight has been declared.
Therefore any punches thrown are not sucker punches.
Shame on you if you are not prepared to receive one.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes to both questions.

I never said PK purposely suckered him. He did hit him while he wasn't prepared, but I realize in the heat of the moment, with Lupul skating towards him, I'd be a little jumpy too.

Doesn't make the way the Habs homers in this thread are reacting any less hilarious. Especially after PK himself admitted he made a mistake, some people here are unable to do so. I was criticizing them more so than PK.

So when habs respond to those who say that P.K sucker punched Lupul and is classless and needs to be punished we are being homers especially when you youself have admitted that you'd act in the same way given the exact same circumstances? So you are a disrespectful coward you deserves to be given a thrashing one day?

Yah, it's the habs fans that are the crazy ones for defending their player against others who have openly admitted they hate P.K because he plays for the habs and those who have openly admitted they would have reacted the same way, but yet still call Subban a little chicken **** for sucker punching. Okay sure.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Ok, let's put it this way. You are about to fight but you are holding a beer can and you want to safely place it on the ground, but you do so by approaching the other guy and leaning down to put the can on the floor, the other guy doesn't know what the **** you are doing and whacks you over the head as a result. Who's the idiot in this situation?

exactly.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
***** move by Subban to start the fight. Jump the guy while he's taking off his helmet :laugh:

Lupul taking his helmet off and Subban goes after him. Thats a ***** move by Subban IMO.

Probably because Subban started throwing when Lupul was taking his off.

Looked like Subban started swinging while Lupul was taking off his equipment. (...)

Yep go on a charge when the guy is taking off his helmet. (...)

I actually saw the opposite, let's see the video. :laugh:

Warsatheo, you're right.

Look at the TSN highlights (0:30) : Subban attempts to get his helmet off and Lupul jumps on him. Subban defends himself.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip417063

The CBC feed doesn't show the beginning of the scrap.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Blind hatred?

Lupul was taking his helmet off and Subban just came in throwing punches. How can you call that "blind"? There's a reason that people called it a ***** move. He started hitting him while Lupul was taking his helmet off because of the visor.

You saw wrong...the youtube will prove it once it's up.
Not trying to make a big deal out of it because it was a good scrap. But Lupul got jumped when he was in the process of unsnapping.

Subban looked like a ***** there going after Lupul as he was taking off his helmet.

Don't exaggerate the "hate" for Subban, either. I'm a Leafs fan and I definitely think that Subban is among the top up and coming defensemen in the league. He is easily my favorite player on the Habs.
But yes, he hit Lupul when he was undoing his helmet. Simple as that. No blind hatred towards a talented D-man, but thats how it went down.

You're wrong. As mentioned previously, just watch the TSN highlights.

After seeing CBC camera angle. It really looks like both of them were taking their helmet off but Lupul came forward on him and Subban just had the reflex to hit him.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
yet subban doesn't go running to the media like a punk about boyce who was so into the idea of fighting subban that he couldn't even be bothered to not wear a cage. i call complete ******** on all of this nonsense.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
sorry i'm late to all of this. just got back from the national pond hockey championships in eagle river wisconsin. no tv+no internet=no habs for the weekend.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
So in the thread about the Schenn hit from behind on Pacioretty,
most people blame Pacioretty for putting himself in a vulnerable position.

So how come the same people are blaming Subban when Lupul puts himself in a vulnerable position ?
If Lupul truly intended to remove his helmet, why did he skate directly into Subban ?

I defended Avery in the whole "was it a sucker punch" debate.
If you drop the gloves, a fight has been declared.
Therefore any punches thrown are not sucker punches.
Shame on you if you are not prepared to receive one.
i am not sure on your stance on the whole Boston vs Montreal the other night...but clearly since all the players on the ice dropped their gloves you were OK with it.
You drop the gloves... expect to get punched in the face.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
sorry i'm late to all of this. just got back from the national pond hockey championships in eagle river wisconsin. no tv+no internet=no habs for the weekend.

As others have mentioned, Boyce has a good reason to be wearing that face protection; but you were at pond hockey, so it's ok.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
i am not sure on your stance on the whole Boston vs Montreal the other night...but clearly since all the players on the ice dropped their gloves you were OK with it.

Bingo. This is what is all boils down to, really. Simple as that.

I would add, don't whine about it after the fact. Not to mention Lupul is the guy who "requested" the fight in the first place.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005

I see your point. Let me clarify :

You can't drop the gloves and then say you got sucker punched.
By dropping the gloves you are announcing your intention to throw punches.

However, I do believe the "code" states that at the end of a fight (when a player falls or turtles) you should stop throwing punches.
To continue throwing at this point is dangerous and incredibly bad sportsmanship.

Last edited:

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
So when habs respond to those who say that P.K sucker punched Lupul and is classless and needs to be punished we are being homers especially when you youself have admitted that you'd act in the same way given the exact same circumstances? So you are a disrespectful coward you deserves to be given a thrashing one day?

Yah, it's the habs fans that are the crazy ones for defending their player against others who have openly admitted they hate P.K because he plays for the habs and those who have openly admitted they would have reacted the same way, but yet still call Subban a little chicken **** for sucker punching. Okay sure.

Sigh.

No, they're being homers for jumping down people's throat's who are saying he did something wrong when PK himself has admitted to doing something wrong. The player realizes he made a mistake, but Habs fans here (some of them) are such homers they can't agree with their own player and admit he commited a fault. People who claim the anger is only because it was PK, or the deluded ones saying it's only because he's black, etc.

To simplify that: PK says PK did something wrong. Many others say PK did something wrong. Habs fans call those others trolls or haters and say PK did nothing wrong. That's the humorous part.

I didn't say I'd react the same. I said I understood how he would be surprised. That's not the same thing as saying I'd react in the exact same way in the exact situation. To be honest I don't exactly how I'd react, Lupul was moving towards him, but his hands were also clearly moving to his helmet.

Also disapointed that when you said you had follow up questions based on my responses to your first questions, you really just meant flaming me out. Classy. Just like PK :sarcasm:

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
PK DID do something wrong. He punched Lupul while he was taking off his helmet. We all know that and he knows that. However, he didn't know what Lupul was doing when he skated in close like that. At the time he most likely thought Lupul was going to hit him, but later realized that he was actually still removing his helmet.

It's not the issue that PK did something wrong, it's that people are saying he intentionally did something wrong a.k.a. tried to sucker punch Lupul, which of course is completely false.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Why is that...what has he done wrong? What does he do that he deserve's more than other players around the league like Lucic for example who continues to sucker punch people and back down from actual enforces only to fight people below his weight class?

What about Cooke, Avery, Burrows, Kaleta, Lapierre, these guys haven't gotten yet, so why should we expect PK to? Why does PK's name get thrown around in these kind of sentiments more than aforementioned players?

I find extemely fishy that he gets this much attention and bashing when there are many other players who are as dirty if not dirtier and have been doing it for much longer.

Another comparable to P.K is Marchand who continues to run his mouth on the ice delivering questionable hits, but yet hasn't defended himself...why is Marchand so low key?

This whole P.K situation is too fishy for it just to be about his on ice-play.

Trying to ignore the moronic Lucic comment, I'll attempt to enlighten you:

Subban's getting a lot of attention because he's a rookie. Guys like Kaleta, Avery et al are known quantities - complaining about them is old hat. Everyone knows who and what they are.

If Subban is drawing attention from not just the "classless" Bruins, but several other teams, you've got to start thinking the problem doesn't lie with them, but with him. And from what fans have seen, the reactions he's spurred, and the comments later (couched in typical vanilla NHL dressing-room speak), it appears that he's not only yapping (which is irritating, but can be disregarded), but slew-footing, throwing in extra-curricular stick work and hitting after the whistle, and then refusing to drop the gloves and often hiding behind the officials. Nothing pushes the average NHLer's buttons harder than someone who gets chippy and then won't stand up and fight his own battles. Sometimes, as with Lupul, it will be unavoidable, but for the amount of **** Subban stirs up, it's not enough.

I don't think any opponents actively hate the guy, at least not yet; actually it appears his enthusiasm and talent are admired. That's why nobody's seriously called him out yet, just warned him. If he's got any sort of intelligence, he'll digest those warnings (along those from, if reports are to be believed, his own teammates) and alter his behavior accordingly. if he doesn't, somebody like Lucic will eventually teach him a lesson, and it won't be pretty.

seeking*

Lupul asks him to take of his bucket. Subban motions as if he agrees and then starts throwing punches. Subban knew what he was doing.

exactly this, it was a sucker start to the fight

you can clearly see after the fight that Lupul is angry about it and presumably yelling and gesturing about it as the linesman lead them away

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Lupul hits PK..PK wants to fight.

Lupul accepted. Lupul doesn't fight.

PK hits Carcillo.. Carcillo wants to fight.

PK accepted.. Wait no he didn't.;)

and PK has tried to sucker punch his own teammate as well..stay classy bro

1:01 mark

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Lupul hits PK..PK wants to fight.

Lupul accepted. Lupul doesn't fight.

PK hits Carcillo.. Carcillo wants to fight.

PK accepted.. Wait no he didn't.;)

and PK has tried to sucker punch his own teammate as well..stay classy bro

1:01 mark

Subbans in white, i dont know what you people expect from him, this irrational hate is aggravating and frankly Im sick of hearing about it

Pandemic

Apr 9, 2009
Vancouver. BC
I understand that you should take your helmets off, but if you're Lupul, don't be a dumb **** and skate TOWARDS the guy you're fighting while still taking your helmet off. That is just plain stupid.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Trying to ignore the moronic Lucic comment, I'll attempt to enlighten you:

Subban's getting a lot of attention because he's a rookie. Guys like Kaleta, Avery et al are known quantities - complaining about them is old hat. Everyone knows who and what they are.

If Subban is drawing attention from not just the "classless" Bruins, but several other teams, you've got to start thinking the problem doesn't lie with them, but with him. And from what fans have seen, the reactions he's spurred, and the comments later (couched in typical vanilla NHL dressing-room speak), it appears that he's not only yapping (which is irritating, but can be disregarded), but slew-footing, throwing in extra-curricular stick work and hitting after the whistle, and then refusing to drop the gloves and often hiding behind the officials. Nothing pushes the average NHLer's buttons harder than someone who gets chippy and then won't stand up and fight his own battles. Sometimes, as with Lupul, it will be unavoidable, but for the amount of **** Subban stirs up, it's not enough.

Most of your post is reasonable and well thought out.
But the litany of sins Subban is accused of just makes me laugh.

- Yapping
- Slew footing
- Celebrating an OT goal
- Stick work
- Being cocky
etc...

Every NHL player is guilty of these sins.
Why is PK being singled out ?
Has he injured anyone with a dirty play? No.
So why does he generate all this hate ?

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
alright he got his nostril ripped off. cool story. so it's cool for him to run people with a visor on? while everyone is debating taking your helmet off to fight?

"I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

-Sean Avery

"I think it was typical of most Leaf guys in our league, taking cheap shots at the ends of games. Whether its embittered ******** because they can't make the playoffs (Grabo on Markov), just good old thug v skill cheap shots (Tucker v. Kovy), or because they got burned by such and such player earlier in the game (Schenn v. Pacioretty's shoulder/arm) Except then they whine about how they're the victims in all this."

-Ayatollah Chowmeini

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
alright he got his nostril ripped off. cool story. so it's cool for him to run people with a visor on? while everyone is debating taking your helmet off to fight?

"I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

-Sean Avery

"I think it was typical of most Leaf guys in our league, taking cheap shots at the ends of games. Whether its embittered ******** because they can't make the playoffs (Grabo on Markov), just good old thug v skill cheap shots (Tucker v. Kovy), or because they got burned by such and such player earlier in the game (Schenn v. Pacioretty's shoulder/arm) Except then they whine about how they're the victims in all this."-Ayatollah Chowmeini

Ironic.

Got any cheese with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad