Lupul vs Subban

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I see your point. Let me clarify :

You can't drop the gloves and then say you got sucker punched.
By dropping the gloves you are announcing your intention to throw punches.

However, I do believe the "code" states that at the end of a fight (when a player falls or turtles) you should stop throwing punches.
To continue throwing at this point is dangerous and incredibly bad sportsmanship.

When a player goes down that is when the fight is over.

Did Campbell throw a punch after Pyatt went down( Pyatt didn't go down)? Actually Pyatt threw the 1st punch.

Did Boychuk throw any punches while Spacek was down? Again no.

As for Thornton going after Hamrlik...maybe he went to far, but their also is a code about not taking a shot after the whistle which Hamrlik did.

During the Horton and Subban scrum, the 3rd man in was Gill not Lucic.

When Lucic shoved/crosschecked Price,it was Price who started it by pushing Lucic first.

As for PK. I did think that he was removing his helmet on the play and to stop and start throwing before he removed it was cheap.

The canadiens aren't as innocent as most hear believe. They remind me of a girl who wears a mini skirt,tight top shows her cleavage and then complains when the guys look at her.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When a player goes down that is when the fight is over.

Did Campbell throw a punch after Pyatt went down( Pyatt didn't go down)? Actually Pyatt threw the 1st punch.

Did Boychuk throw any punches while Spacek was down? Again no.

As for Thornton going after Hamrlik...maybe he went to far, but their also is a code about not taking a shot after the whistle which Hamrlik did.

During the Horton and Subban scrum, the 3rd man in was Gill not Lucic.

When Lucic shoved/crosschecked Price,it was Price who started it by pushing Lucic first.

As for PK. I did think that he was removing his helmet on the play and to stop and start throwing before he removed it was cheap. The canadiens aren't as innocent as most hear believe. They remind me of a girl who wears a mini skirt,tight top shows her cleavage and then complains when the guys look at her.

I guess he was supposed to let Lupul get in his shot first...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Lupul hits PK..PK wants to fight.

Lupul accepted. Lupul doesn't fight.

PK hits Carcillo.. Carcillo wants to fight.

PK accepted.. Wait no he didn't.;)

So now Subban has to fight everybody he ever bodychecks, including useless scrubs like Daniel Carcillo.

I love how when P.K. doesn't fight, he's a *****...and when he does fight, there's always some other excuse coming up about how he didn't fight "properly".

Never stop, HF. Never, ever stop.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I guess he was supposed to let Lupul get in his shot first...
It would have been cheap if Lupul did the same.

Why are so many players calling PK out?

I know he is a good player but that can't be the only reason. Is it racism? I don't think so.He is not the 1st and only black player in the league.

So why always PK? Probably because some of what is said is true.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
So now Subban has to fight everybody he ever bodychecks, including useless scrubs like Daniel Carcillo.

I love how when P.K. doesn't fight, he's a *****...and when he does fight, there's always some other excuse coming up about how he didn't fight "properly".

No he doesn't. He doesn't have to fight anybody. but he will get picked on,and the more

he keeps talking the more he will get picked on. Nothing wrong with that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Perhaps...would TSN have made a big deal out of it, would there be a massive HF thread about it? Doubtful in both cases.

Either way, Lupul challenged Subban to the fight...if he's not ready, he shouldn't fight. I don't know what Lupul, or you think Subban should of done...I mean Lupul is skating towards him, is he supposed to offer up his face on a platter like Aaron Ward did against Scott Walker?

If you're not ready to fight, don't drop em'.

I know he is a good player but that can't be the only reason. Is it racism? I don't think so.He is not the 1st and only black player in the league.

Probably cause he has too much swagger...the country club that is the NHL doesn't like players having personalities.

Root

Feb 22, 2010

hahaha you probably said the same **** about Lucic when he wouldn't fight that bug useless goon you guys had, Laraque.

i don't expect subban to fight every tough guy, i just dont understand why he talks so much **** and acts like such a ****** but then is to chicken **** to fight ANYONE who is tough. he was sure ready to fight Lupul though...him and his scary fight card. the guy is a great player but he is a coward. he talks **** he cant back up and he is going to continue to get **** on by players in the league and fans because of it. he should just learn to shut his mouth on the ice unless he wants to fight the tougher guys. take off the blindfold habs fans.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
I keep seeing the exact opposite. Weird.

Not weird, just sad that you're such a homer.

Don't know how many times it needs to be said, so one more time:

Subban said he hit him while he was removing his helmet. He went as far as to apologize to Lupul for doing so.

Why is it so ****ing hard for some of you to admit that? Honestly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It would have been cheap if Lupul did the same.

Subban said he hit him while he was removing his helmet. He went as far as to apologize to Lupul for doing so.

You have a quote by Subban saying he apologized for THAT specifically?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
hahaha you probably said the same **** about Lucic when he wouldn't fight that bug useless goon you guys had, Laraque.

i don't expect subban to fight every tough guy, i just dont understand why he talks so much **** and acts like such a ****** but then is to chicken **** to fight ANYONE who is tough. he was sure ready to fight Lupul though...him and his scary fight card. the guy is a great player but he is a coward. he talks **** he cant back up and he is going to continue to get **** on by players in the league and fans because of it. he should just learn to shut his mouth on the ice unless he wants to fight the tougher guys. take off the blindfold habs fans.

Why should he fight the tougher guys? He has 4 fights this year. More than Milan Lucic, and more than the dirtiest player in the history of hockey (according to some, anyway), Matt Cooke. Saying Subban should be fighting tough guys while allowing Lucic did get off scot-free for not fighting Laraque (on the grounds that Lucic shouldn't waste his time fighting goons) makes you the hypocrite, not Habs fans.

The double standards against Subban around here are so ridiculous, all you can do is laugh.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

http://www.640toronto.com/Blogs/EatSleepLeafs/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10204615

“I’ve never had a problem with him,†he continued. “I like the way he plays. He’s exciting, he plays hard. Tonight, I went to square off and fight him and he kind of got the jump on me. He apologized and said he didn’t know that I was taking my helmet off. What can you do? I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m just saying if his name keeps popping up over and over again eventually guys are going to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt throughout the league.â€

So let me get this straight...Subban even apologized for this perceived crime against humanity, and he's still nailed to the cross. Sounds about right.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
http://www.640toronto.com/Blogs/EatSleepLeafs/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10204615

So let me get this straight...Subban even apologized for this perceived crime against humanity, and he's still nailed to the cross. Sounds about right.

I don't know...I heard PK's comments about the situation and he doesn't mention anyting about apologizing. I think Lupul might of interpreted things differently than Subban did.

-Edit- Subban's got some interesting comments about the Lupul fight and other situations regarding him this year after today's practice.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I love how everyone is on Subban's case all the time. I find it hilarious. Especially the comments about how "someone's going to get him one day".

If "someone is going to get him", why hasn't anyone tried yet? The guys has NEVER FOUGHT at any level of hockey, and he is small to medium sized, yet he's fought 4 times already this year.

You guys act like he's expected to go with Lucic or Thornton or something...But guys like Lupul are well within his weight class and fighting experience. Hell, even Richards would be ok, but as far as I can see, Richards, despite literally saying that Subban is going to "get his", hasn't tried to fight him. Instead he has his goons do the dirty work, and you guys piss and moan about how Subban doesn't want to back up his play by fighting Carcillo.

The guys crying about Subban in the media...Guys like Richards and Crosby and whoever else...These are the guys who should be trying to fight him. Saying he doesn't back his mouth up is ridiculous. Subban fighting a Lucic would be like Bergeron fighting Orr. Even if Bruins fans like to pretend that Lucic is a "middleweight" and should only fight other middleweights, he is 6'4" and like 240 lbs, with dozens of career fights. Subban dropping with him is a mismatch, and if that's the only acceptable way for a player to back up his mouth, then I think a LOT of players in this league need to start backing up THEIR mouthes too. Starting with Brad Marchant dropping with Travis Moen. Has Marchant even dropped with ANYONE yet? Where is the outrage here?

Face it, only an idiot would deny that the hatred towards Subban on these boards is irrational, bordering on insane. Call it whatever you want, but it makes no sense whatsoever. There are many, MANY trash talkers in this league who refuse to drop the gloves and who have yet to "get theirs". Subban, a non-fighter, has dropped 4 times this year. If this isn't enough "backing it up" for you, well, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you can keep crying about it on HFBoards.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This has gone way past the Crosby hate his first year.

I'm becoming a bigger Subban fan now that everyone's simply looking for excuses to crap on the kid.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010

First of all, apologizing for something doesn't make it ok. If I broke a window in your home, stole your TV, but then called and apologized, are you saying I shouldn't be held accountable for what I did since I apologized? Of course not, because that kind of thought is idiotic.

Second of all, I'm not one of the people nailing the kid to the cross here. I've said I understand it was a heat of the moment thing, and I don't believe it was an intentional suckerpunch. Who I'm criticizing are the Habs fans blindly defending him, the ones saying he did nothing wrong when he admits he has. Intentional or not.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
First of all, apologizing for something doesn't make it ok. If I broke a window in your home, stole your TV, but then called and apologized, are you saying I shouldn't be held accountable for what I did since I apologized? Of course not, because that kind of thought is idiotic.

What's idiotic is your analogy...

It's not at all like that. It's more like if you were driving and randomly slammed on the breaks, and the guy behind you doesn't see it in time and hits you. And he then apologizes. His fault, ultimately, as he should have been more careful, but it's sorta your fault too for slamming on the breaks all of sudden with no warning.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Except people hate Subban for being better than any player on their team. Envy is one of the strongest emotions. :handclap:

Lidstrom says hi.

And yes, that was a ***** move punching a guy who's taking his helmet off.

Lets not forget about that leg he stuck out on the Leaf player later in the game.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
I don't know why people think PK needs to wait for Lupul to take his helmet off, I think if anyone watches the CBC video its clear Lupul crosses over to come into PK's path and then PK throws a punch.

If Lupul wanted to take his helmet off he shouldn't of skated into PK.

As for the fight draw or slight edge to PK.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
What's idiotic is your analogy...

It's not at all like that. It's more like if you were driving and randomly slammed on the breaks, and the guy behind you doesn't see it in time and hits you. And he then apologizes. His fault, ultimately, as he should have been more careful, but it's sorta your fault too for slamming on the breaks all of sudden with no warning.

I wasn't really making a direct analogy to the situation (I've said many times I believe it was not intentional on PK's part, and in my example there was obviously intent). I was just pointing out that apologizing for a commiting a wrong doesn't erase the harm done and trying to personalize it to get the point across. I was not trying to be deceptive with it.

Again, I don't really have an issue with PK's actions. I have a problem with the way people here are reacting to those who do have objections to the way he acted. It's ridiculous how some people defend the kid like he's a saint and pretend the controversy is imagined every time his name comes up - especially this time when he admits he made a mistake.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
Ironic.

Got any cheese with that?

last time i checked, i wasn't a professional athlete who'd just lost a fight and a hockey game and there wasn't a microphone in my face. there's no controversy here without lupul whining to the media, yet somehow subban is the one who gets all the criticism.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wasn't really making a direct analogy to the situation (I've said many times I believe it was not intentional on PK's part, and in my example there was obviously intent). I was just pointing out that apologizing for a commiting a wrong doesn't erase the harm done and trying to personalize it to get the point across. I was not trying to be deceptive with it.

Again, I don't really have an issue with PK's actions. I have a problem with the way people here are reacting to those who do have objections to the way he acted. It's ridiculous how some people defend the kid like he's a saint and pretend the controversy is imagined every time his name comes up - especially this time when he admits he made a mistake.

you heard/read PK say he made a mistake? Hearing his comments on the situation today, I don't think he apologized for doing nothing actually.

the only person whose said anything about an apology was Lupul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad