Value of: Lupul to Vancouver

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Just to start off I do not want Lupul in Vancouver, but I have heard rumors of a possible trade on other forums. I can't find anything on google, so likely a bad source or was deleted. Did anyone else hear about this and have any information?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Just to start off I do not want Lupul in Vancouver, but I have heard rumors of a possible trade on other forums. I can't find anything on google, so likely a bad source or was deleted. Did anyone else hear about this and have any information?

Seems out of left field. The Leafs don't need the cap space so they won't be retaining or adding a sweetener to him. :dunno:

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I doubt it.

First off his injury history means that it is very unlikely any team would be willing to part with much especially with his age starting to work against him in terms of recovery.

Second off the Canucks don't have much cap space (around $2.6 million i think) and who know who else they might sign in the coming weeks with that limited space. They would have to trade or move out one of their big contracts to make the space which is even more unlikely.

Finally the assets they would probably have to move (a prospect or draft pick) are already in short supply in Vancouver and that would be the price that a team like Toronto would want as a part of any deal.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Huh. Wouldn't mind that, but have no idea why the Leafs would do it.

I wouldn't be happy to use Rychel to get rid of Lupul. We don't need the space and we need people in the dressing room who can legally buy booze in the states as they're few and far between

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I doubt it.

First off his injury history means that it is very unlikely any team would be willing to part with much especially with his age starting to work against him in terms of recovery.

Second off the Canucks don't have much cap space (around $2.6 million i think) and who know who else they might sign in the coming weeks with that limited space. They would have to trade or move out one of their big contracts to make the space which is even more unlikely.

Finally the assets they would probably have to move (a prospect or draft pick) are already in short supply in Vancouver and that would be the price that a team like Toronto would want as a part of any deal.

We already have the answer for the rumor, but your right Lupul would be worthless for us to get, except in a situation where that rumor is true. Though the prev poster is right, why would Toronto do that from a rebuild side, unless they have something else they are working on, or need cap for next off season and are looking to shed it asap to ensure it is done.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Huh. Wouldn't mind that, but have no idea why the Leafs would do it.

Purely for the cap space. If we assume there's some truth to this rumour (a stretch, I know) then the Leafs would gain $1.65M in cap space for the next two years. Then they could send Sbisa down and gain an extra $925k, giving them an extra $2.575M in cap space the next two seasons.

But like someone else said, the Leafs don't need the cap space all that much right now with all our best players on ELCs. Steep price to pay for something we don't really need all that much (cap space).

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Purely for the cap space. If we assume there's some truth to this rumour (a stretch, I know) then the Leafs would gain $1.65M in cap space for the next two years. Then they could send Sbisa down and gain an extra $925k, giving them an extra $2.575M in cap space the next two seasons.

But like someone else said, the Leafs don't need the cap space all that much right now with all our best players on ELCs. Steep price to pay for something we don't really need all that much (cap space).

Well you are +600k over cap until you can send player on LTIR. That could factor in. As far as I know you need to be under cap before season starts, and season needs to start before players can be put on LTIR. Anyone shed some light on this?

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Maybe based on this tweet? Not a legit source at all.

As someone who doesn't outright despise Sbisa
I'd love this
But yeah
Can't see why Toronto does this
Or Vancouver for that matter considering management desperately wants to say acquiring Sbisa was the right thing to do in the Kesler trade

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Well you are +600k over cap until you can send player on LTIR. That could factor in. As far as I know you need to be under cap before season starts, and season needs to start before players can be put on LTIR. Anyone shed some light on this?

Cowen buyout is still up in the air.

If that doesn't work out then I'm confident the Leafs could do some maneuvering with callups/demotions to make it work.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't be totally against it, but someone like Hunwick must go the other way in the deal. After that it comes down to value. At least Sbisa is someone who is a little bit more experienced and can buy some of the young guys some time, even though he'd probably be in the way after this year (for only one year, but still).

Rielly-Marincin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Sbisa-Polak
Carrick/Corrado

Then next year:
Rielly-???
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Sbisa-Carrick
Loov

*I'm assuming Corrado will be traded and Marincin will be taken in expansion draft since he is the best option at this point. Plus we acquire a new RHD.

Getting rid of Lupul would be nice, but not imperative. We should be fine whether we keep him or trade him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
As someone who doesn't outright despise Sbisa
I'd love this
But yeah
Can't see why Toronto does this
Or Vancouver for that matter considering management desperately wants to say acquiring Sbisa was the right thing to do in the Kesler trade
There was a story out of Van that Van management has made the startling realisation that Sbisa isn't very good. If that is the case then they may be looking to dump him so Tryamkin can have a spot on the 3rd pairing (Larsen has pushed him out of the line up on RS). If Sbisa goes they can move him is the LS (he's LH).

If they can get a guy that can contribute in Lupul (ok not much but at least he'll play) for Sbisa it might be a save face as they can talk up the prospect/pick.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Here's how I see it.

Sbisa: Hated on probably more than he should be, overpaid, serviceable 5/6 D, has improved every year.

Lupul: Good when he plays, never plays, overpaid, contract is too long.

Leafs get out of a horrible contract and sort out their overage (yes I know about Cowen and LTIR) and add an older but still youngish Dman in Sbisa, and gain cap room, while getting out of the contract sooner.

Canucks get the 2nd line LW Benning wants to "Take the pressure off of Sven Baertschi" IF he plays. They will are up the logjam at D and give Tryamkin/Pedan more space to avoid waiving someone.
they take over a BAD contract for Lupul, however they have the room to do so without going over.

Rychel PROBABLY won't make the leafs loaded forward group over Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Soshnikov/Kadri/JVR/Hyman/Lindberg etc...

Could see it being a Win/Win both fanbases are OK with?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Here's how I see it.

Sbisa: Hated on probably more than he should be, overpaid, serviceable 5/6 D, has improved every year.

Leafs get out of a horrible contract and sort out their overage (yes I know about Cowen and LTIR) and add an older but still youngish Dman in Sbisa, and gain cap room, while getting out of the contract sooner.

Canucks get the 2nd line LW Benning wants to "Take the pressure off of Sven Baertschi" IF he plays. They will are up the logjam at D and give Tryamkin/Pedan more space to avoid waiving someone.
they take over a BAD contract for Lupul, however they have the room to do so without going over.

Rychel PROBABLY won't make the leafs loaded forward group over Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Soshnikov/Kadri/JVR/Hyman/Lindberg etc...

100% of ans are never happy with a trade, but yes Vancouver would be happy with this in general.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Here's how I see it.

That's the beauty of Lupul, he's actually good when he plays, and when he doesn't you put him on LTIR and save 5.2M capspace

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Here's how I see it.

Broken down I could accept that deal from a Canucks POV.

Admittingly have not payed any attention to Rychel over the years. Are we getting another prospect that is going to sit in the relm of Gaunce, Granlund, Etem ect and be bottom 6 for life, or is there still some promise left in him?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Broken down I could accept that deal from a Canucks POV.

Admittingly have not payed any attention to Rychel over the years. Are we getting another prospect that is going to sit in the relm of Gaunce, Granlund, Etem ect and be bottom 6 for life, or is there still some promise left in him?

He played well in the AHL last year, and put up roughly 0.33 PPG on the Blue Jackets with the big boys. He's definitely not another Etem. He could be a solid 2nd liner if everything went well imo. Or he could flatline and be a dorsett replacement. He's a risk I'd take.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks do not know what they have on defense. They won't deal anybody until they are sure they don't need him. Sbisa might be top four out of camp for all we know now.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Canucks do not know what they have on defense. They won't deal anybody until they are sure they don't need him. Sbisa might be top four out of camp for all we know now.

Sbisa in our top 4 is a terrifying concept no matter the question marks surrounding the other players

Though unlikely
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad