Value of: Lupul to Vancouver

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Code:
I doubt it.

First off his injury history means that it is very unlikely any team would be willing to part with much especially with his age starting to work against him in terms of recovery.

Second off the Canucks don't have much cap space (around $2.6 million i think) and who know who else they might sign in the coming weeks with that limited space. They would have to trade or move out one of their big contracts to make the space which is even more unlikely.

Finally the assets they would probably have to move (a prospect or draft pick) are already in short supply in Vancouver and that would be the price that a team like Toronto would want as a part of any deal.

I think you are looking at this in a slightly off perspective.

1. A mid pick would probably get it done.

2. We could afford to retain and probably would if we were getting say a 3rd

3. I think you guys could afford a 3rd and we could probably throw back our 7th and STL's 6th

So basically

Lupul 50% retained + STL 6th+ TOR 7th for VAN 3rd could probably get it done. I know I would do that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well you are +600k over cap until you can send player on LTIR. That could factor in. As far as I know you need to be under cap before season starts, and season needs to start before players can be put on LTIR. Anyone shed some light on this?

Literally half our "roster" can go down without waivers, and 70% of the other half can go down after they clear waivers. Won't really be a problem, if we need to use LTIR we'll paper transaction send down Matthews, or Brown, or Nylander, or Hyman, or Soshnikov, or Zaitsev. Hell keep them all up and toss Lupul and Cowen on waivers and when they go down 925k comes off the cap for each and we're under. Greening or Michalek can carpool to the Ricoh with them. Take Froese and Holland too while they're at it. Laich could hitch a ride. Polak might tag along.

Obviously not everyone would go down, but there's an abundance of guys who could go down long enough to get under the cap for LTIR if we need to. But hopefully Cowen gets proven to be an idiot first and we can buy him out or better yet just terminate the contract for breech of contract(best case scenario, not likely)

I don't think we'd really be in a positon to pay to rid ourselves of Lupul unless there's something else waiting in the wings that involves adding cap.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Code:

3. I think you guys could afford a 3rd and we could probably throw back our 7th and STL's 6th

So basically

Lupul 50% retained + STL 6th+ TOR 7th for VAN 3rd could probably get it done. I know I would do that.

Vancouver is going to pay a 3rd to get a still overpaid Lupul at 2.625 or whatever and a 6th and a 7th? Why? Does Sbisa still come to us in this transaction? Because that's the only way it even remotely makes any sense at all.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Maybe based on this tweet? Not a legit source at all.

what a pile of garbage for the leafs. Give up assets for a healthy scratch dman and only save 1.6M in space?

not happening. Lupul will be in the AHL before that, where he would cost only 700k than a rostered Sbisa would

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Well you are +600k over cap until you can send player on LTIR. That could factor in. As far as I know you need to be under cap before season starts, and season needs to start before players can be put on LTIR. Anyone shed some light on this?

in that scenario, matthews, nylander, brown etc spend a day in the AHL until robidas and horton give us 8.3M in relief.

surely thats better than losing Rychel and picks?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would we move assets to get rid of Lupul? We have no no cap issues st all, Either Cowen gets bought out in October before the season and his money gets cleared along with a 650K dollar credit or if he's stuck on the team for the year then they put Horton and Ronidas on LTIR

That's 8.3 million.

Beyond this year the team has 25+ million coming off the books that's without a rise in the cap which happens every year because there is never going to be a year where the players don't use the 5% escalator that just won't happen.

and I truly believe Bozak won't be here next year

You could be looking at close to 30 million in space after this year

There is no need to do this deal unless it's a good deal for the Leafs

We aren't the same cap situation the hawks were that forced them to deal TT, we aren't in the same situation that the panthers were that forced them to give up Crouse

There is no desperation here

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Only reason for the leafs is that they want some room under the cap to not have Matthews, Nylander and Marners bonuses (they will probably hit some) count against next years cap

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Before we signed Enroth I thought there could have been a fit around Miller+Sbisa for Lupul+Greening+picks/prospects.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Here's how I see it.

Sbisa: Hated on probably more than he should be, overpaid, serviceable 5/6 D, has improved every year.

Lupul: Good when he plays, never plays, overpaid, contract is too long.

Leafs get out of a horrible contract and sort out their overage (yes I know about Cowen and LTIR) and add an older but still youngish Dman in Sbisa, and gain cap room, while getting out of the contract sooner.

Canucks get the 2nd line LW Benning wants to "Take the pressure off of Sven Baertschi" IF he plays. They will are up the logjam at D and give Tryamkin/Pedan more space to avoid waiving someone.
they take over a BAD contract for Lupul, however they have the room to do so without going over.

Rychel PROBABLY won't make the leafs loaded forward group over Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Soshnikov/Kadri/JVR/Hyman/Lindberg etc...

Could see it being a Win/Win both fanbases are OK with?

This just isn't true.

Try "poor 6/7, has no business being in a team's regular D corps."

Would do this deal from a Canucks perspective, but I see no incentive for the Leafs to.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Purely for the cap space. If we assume there's some truth to this rumour (a stretch, I know) then the Leafs would gain $1.65M in cap space for the next two years. Then they could send Sbisa down and gain an extra $925k, giving them an extra $2.575M in cap space the next two seasons.

But like someone else said, the Leafs don't need the cap space all that much right now with all our best players on ELCs. Steep price to pay for something we don't really need all that much (cap space).

If the Leafs were contending right now then I think the deal would make more sense. As of right now (like you said), the Leafs don't exactly "need" cap space right now.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Code:

So basically

Hard no, the retention is the most valuable part of the deal and the Leafs have no salary cap concerns. Kessels slot is for another six years, can't tie another long term one as well for a third lol Get real

corunnakid

Jun 28, 2016
If Leafs keep Lupul for the coming season, they can buy him out @ 1.5 mil for 2 yrs, Gleason will be off the books by then. Why would they retain salary when it would be for the rest of his contract?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Or thy could trade him to Van with no retention along with a pick and Rychel in exchange for Luca Sbisa

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Literally half our "roster" can go down without waivers, and 70% of the other half can go down after they clear waivers. Won't really be a problem, if we need to use LTIR we'll paper transaction send down Matthews, or Brown, or Nylander, or Hyman, or Soshnikov, or Zaitsev. Hell keep them all up and toss Lupul and Cowen on waivers and when they go down 925k comes off the cap for each and we're under. Greening or Michalek can carpool to the Ricoh with them. Take Froese and Holland too while they're at it. Laich could hitch a ride. Polak might tag along.

Obviously not everyone would go down, but there's an abundance of guys who could go down long enough to get under the cap for LTIR if we need to. But hopefully Cowen gets proven to be an idiot first and we can buy him out or better yet just terminate the contract for breech of contract(best case scenario, not likely)

I don't think we'd really be in a positon to pay to rid ourselves of Lupul unless there's something else waiting in the wings that involves adding cap.

I can see where the Leafs may not want to use LTIR, especially if it's for the full season. Since that would cause all of the performance bonuses Matthews, Nylander and Marner hit to carry over to the 2017-2018 cap.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Or thy could trade him to Van with no retention along with a pick and Rychel in exchange for Luca Sbisa

Sbisa may be a 6/7 in the league, but toronto has quite a few question marks as well as 8/9/10's. Really they only have 3 defensemen that i see better than sbisa, and the rest as good, worse, or could be better but we don't know yet. It makes sense they would want a guy that can eat minutes on a team that wants to lose. and if they can only get a sbisa quality player but don't give up a lot to do so, then why not? Rychel may be a bit, but the additionl of Lupul make Rychel equal to a 4th, maybe even a 5th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->