Value of: Lupul to Vancouver

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Half the leafs fans seem to want to trade them for futures. 5/12 spots beings vets isn't something to brag about, even the Oilers had SOME vets to make cap floor, and not all of them were trash. Toronto has a good future, but after next season is the time to start thinking of improving via UFA market. Matthews will be expensive in 3 years, Nylander in 2. The could get bridge deals, but they would likely be worth trying to sign long term, as a bridge could easily backfire ala Subban. UFA's often get more expensive every year. Getting one or 2 next off season and then 1 the offseason after could easily save the leafs 1-2mil in caps space when Matthews needs a contract.

It's 5 of the top 9 or 10 though depending on how you rate Martin. They can always fill out the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th spots easily with cheap 1 year vets.

The Oilers were trash at key spots. For forwards there top 2 vets were Penner & Hemsky who are both soft wingers. They lacked top 6 vets especially at center. Pre Drai/McDavid they had 1 decent center in RNH.

Kadri is a quality C, Matthews projects to be a top line center, Bozak is a decent center if he sticks around, Nylander has a good chance of becoming an NHL center, Komarov also plays some center.

Anyways, for cap space they've already got a good amount coming up and lots of options to create even more including looking to deal Lupul next off-season.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
would rather just ride out Lupul for another 2 years, who do the leafs need to sign in that time ? And don't the leafs already have enough cap space?

I dont see the benefit of giving up a prospect just to get rid of lupul

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Half the leafs fans seem to want to trade them for futures. 5/12 spots beings vets isn't something to brag about, even the Oilers had SOME vets to make cap floor, and not all of them were trash. Toronto has a good future, but after next season is the time to start thinking of improving via UFA market. Matthews will be expensive in 3 years, Nylander in 2. The could get bridge deals, but they would likely be worth trying to sign long term, as a bridge could easily backfire ala Subban. UFA's often get more expensive every year. Getting one or 2 next off season and then 1 the offseason after could easily save the leafs 1-2mil in caps space when Matthews needs a contract.

yeah because improving during UFA seems to be the way to build a contender. :laugh:

Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh..didnt they build there teams through the draft and trading? not many high profile UFA signings on the stanley cup rosters that i notice and thats 7 years of cup winning teams.

shouldnt every team be worried about getting burned by a bridge? what makes you think the subban situation will happen to them. surely the 6 year deals to rielly and kadri are enough to indicate they arent gonna go that route?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
But needing to be replaced, and with the amount of ELC's that will be on your team, likely from UFA market which eats that cap pretty quickly. Esp with a team that is primed to start getting better. If you don't then you're just Oilers v2.0

They've already been replaced for the most part. Cowen and Robidas aren't even on the team. Laich and Greening aren't NHL quality and the Leafs already have better players than them in the system. Michalek is the only one who brings any value, and he's hurt often. It's very possible none of Greening, Laich, or Michalek are on the opening night roster. Nothing to replace at all.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Just to start off I do not want Lupul in Vancouver, but I have heard rumors of a possible trade on other forums. I can't find anything on google, so likely a bad source or was deleted. Did anyone else hear about this and have any information?

This is the player Benning should overpay for :nod: He would fit right in with the rest of the deals Benning done :sarcasm: Even his own nephew did not want to sign there and that is saying something ;)

I don't like the Canucks but you have to feel bad for their fans . Benning needs to go and a rebuild needs to be embrace . Sell all your old assets , then sign all the vets you can to 1 year deals like TML did move them at the trade deadline for more assets , repeat until you have a well stocked prospect pool .

Good Luck Van fans . I don't wish an Oilers type of rebuild on any fans

Mad Brills*

If sbisa was a RHD this would make a smal amount of sense.

He's a LHD, which doesn't fit on this team.

Moving any prospect of significance (rychel isn't one) to dump lupul isn't worth it.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
If sbisa was a RHD this would make a smal amount of sense.

He's a LHD, which doesn't fit on this team.

Moving any prospect of significance (rychel isn't one) to dump lupul isn't worth it.

It makes sense if they want to purge the rest of the players that were part of the meltdowns. Kessel and Dion are gone, the writing is on the wall for Lupul.

Hyman available? Like that kid.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
yeah because improving during UFA seems to be the way to build a contender. :laugh:

Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh..didnt they build there teams through the draft and trading? not many high profile UFA signings on the stanley cup rosters that i notice and thats 7 years of cup winning teams.

shouldnt every team be worried about getting burned by a bridge? what makes you think the subban situation will happen to them. surely the 6 year deals to rielly and kadri are enough to indicate they arent gonna go that route?

They built their core through draft and trading and added pieces in UFA that got them their cups. Look at their history. Teams always look at good UFA's because they only cost money. Drafting takes a long time for most players, and trades for top 6/top 4 players is expensive

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They built their core through draft and trading and added pieces in UFA that got them their cups. Look at their history. Teams always look at good UFA's because they only cost money. Drafting takes a long time for most players, and trades for top 6/top 4 players is expensive

who did the reigning champs add during UFA besides a couple depth 4th liners? surely cullens 6 pts in 24 games and fehrs 4 points in 23 games werent the main factors in the cup win?

Draft: Crosby,Malkin,Letang,Fleury,Murray, Maata, Sundqvist, Rust, Wilson, Pouliot. Kuhnackel

Trade: Kessel, Hornqvist, Bonino, Hagelin, Daley, Dumoulin, Kunitz, Schultz, Cole

UFA: Cullen, Fehr

20 players either drafted/traded for....the stanley cup champs invested exactly 3 million on UFA. the point you are trying to make is that you need to bring in quality UFA to be competitive right?

:shakehead

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It makes sense if they want to purge the rest of the players that were part of the meltdowns. Kessel and Dion are gone, the writing is on the wall for Lupul.

Hyman available? Like that kid.

not to save 1.6M in cap space that we dont really need. Babcock really likes him as well and he could turn into a useful 3rd liner

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
who did the reigning champs add during UFA besides a couple depth 4th liners? surely cullens 6 pts in 24 games and fehrs 4 points in 23 games werent the main factors in the cup win?

Draft: Crosby,Malkin,Letang,Fleury,Murray, Maata, Sundqvist, Rust, Wilson, Pouliot. Kuhnackel

Trade: Kessel, Hornqvist, Bonino, Hagelin, Daley, Dumoulin, Kunitz, Schultz, Cole

UFA: Cullen, Fehr

20 players either drafted/traded for....the stanley cup champs invested exactly 3 million on UFA. the point you are trying to make is that you need to bring in quality UFA to be competitive right?

:shakehead

There is more than one way to build a Stanley Cup Champion. Just because Pittsburgh did it that way doesn't mean its impossible to do it a different way. You are correct, generally its a bad idea to team build through UFA, Boston signed Chara, id say that worked out pretty well for them. Every scenario is different, you cant just think black and white. If you make shrewd UFA signings to augment your lineup, yeah, its smart to do. Lou will sign some UFA dmen next year, and you wont complain about it.

Last edited:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
not to save 1.6M in cap space that we dont really need. Babcock really likes him as well and he could turn into a useful 3rd liner

I'd be down with something around Holland and Sbisa as the basis. We get a chance to play our own guys on defence while grabbing someone who can play 4C no problem.
Leafs would get a guy who can at least be a PK guy and physical bottom pairing presence. Good skater. Lots of tools no tool box.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
People tend to undervalue Sbisa's chippiness. He fights and hits and talks smack. He is a poor man's Kevin Bieksa but maybe, just maybe, he can get on a roll.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hard no, the retention is the most valuable part of the deal and the Leafs have no salary cap concerns. Kessels slot is for another six years, can't tie another long term one as well for a third lol Get real

You have very nicely demonstrated you have no idea what you are talking about.

Lupul has 2 years on his deal, would you rather have him blocking a kid at his full salary or free up half his salary and open a spot for a kid while gaining an asset. If Cowan's arbitration does not go our way we are 850k over the cap plus we have bonuses to worry about, and bonuses we can cover this season frees up cap next year.

Leafs would probably do my proposal in a second, Vancouver might not but if he's healthy and half retained they might consider him, the real question is would they give up anything for him?

The Canucks fan who said no is free to not like him or not want him but a 3rd for a guy who might get you 15-20 goals could be a steal plus the bonus picks I threw in.

It really depends on what Lupul showed in the preseason, if he can still play someone might want give up something for him half retained, if he can't we would have to pay to move him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be down with something around Holland and Sbisa as the basis. We get a chance to play our own guys on defence while grabbing someone who can play 4C no problem.
Leafs would get a guy who can at least be a PK guy and physical bottom pairing presence. Good skater. Lots of tools no tool box.

So we get the more expensive player with a longer contract

So what kind of pick or prospect are you adding? Because you are adding something

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
As someone who doesn't outright despise Sbisa
I'd love this
But yeah
Can't see why Toronto does this
Or Vancouver for that matter considering management desperately wants to say acquiring Sbisa was the right thing to do in the Kesler trade

Don't want Sbisa, he is horrible

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I see it more as two teams allocating necessary bodies into places that need it.

While it's true we d men we need someone thst can plsy with Reilly so like, a Cam a Fowler, Kevin Shattenkirk, Karl Alzner

At the very least they need to be able to play with Gardiner, thst guy isn't Stoner.

Stoner would fill a hole on the bottom pair not in the top 4

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
People tend to undervalue Sbisa's chippiness. He fights and hits and talks smack. He is a poor man's Kevin Bieksa but maybe, just maybe, he can get on a roll.

*Raised eyebrow*

He was sold as that but he has not shown it any more than he has is shown he has top 4 dman future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->