Lundqvist Watch: Back in tomorrow after four games off (Shutout)

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
Since I questioned your last "fact" with numbers, you're switching to broad-based conspiracies now?

Any time you'd like to get back to your "below replacement level" comment, that's fine with me. Any time.

No I just haven't crunched the numbers for "Replacement Level" goaltending yet. But if you look at these examples from a time when the league average save % was a little lower than it is now - replacement level save % is around .908. My inference is that it would be slightly higher.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/24/5620854/nhl-goaltending-replacement-level

Now I may change my tune to 'Lundqvist has played replacement level goaltending for the past calendar year' when I crunch the numbers. But that is still damning, especially considering the contract.

Also, it's no conspiracy theory. It's just greatly skewed in Lundqvist favor. No reason Lundqvist should have received a 1st place vote in '07-'08 because 28 other GM's voted for the best goaltenders that season (Nabokov/Brodeur). That vaulted him into 3rd place.

The most egregious example is '13'-'14. Where Lundqvist received 1 vote from a GM and that was for 1st place. Amazingly, no other GM in the league thought he was a top-3 goaltender, but someone just happened to think all other 29 GM's are idiots and Lundqvist was the best goaltender that season.

THEN in '14-'15 he receives 2 votes. Wouldn't you guess it? One is for 1st place (the other 3rd place). He wasn't even the best goalie on his own team that season!

Last edited:

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
It's not hate, its just a different critique. It's also not ignorant, I've been attentive to his play since he first entered the league. I've always thought he was consistently a bottom top-10 goaltender with a few seasons of top-3 peaks. It's good enough for this generation of goaltending but the position and game has changed in the past decade.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
It's not hate, its just a different critique. It's also not ignorant, I've been attentive to his play since he first entered the league. I've always thought he was consistently a bottom top-10 goaltender with a few seasons of top-3 peaks. It's good enough for this generation of goaltending but the position and game has changed in the past decade.

:cry::laugh:

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003

Ok bottom was a bit harsh. He's always been a top-10 goaltender (consistency!) but he is not consistently a top-3 and definitely not top 2. He is right around the 5th best goaltender at any given season and he will give you months where he is the best and months where he is closer to average/below-average.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
No I just haven't crunched the numbers for "Replacement Level" goaltending yet. But if you look at these examples from a time when the league average save % was a little lower than it is now - replacement level save % is around .908. My inference is that it would be slightly higher.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/24/5620854/nhl-goaltending-replacement-level

Now I may change my tune to 'Lundqvist has played replacement level goaltending for the past calendar year' when I crunch the numbers. But that is still damning, especially considering the contract.

So if you make multiple assumptions favorable to your conclusion (without checking them before making the claim), then your conclusion *might* hold (once you back away from the conclusion a bit)?

That's bold.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
First game back: 27 saves, 0 goals, 1 bump on the noggin.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't just bring out the white sheet and 12 gauge to the ice a few games back and put him down like a broken race horse.

Oh wait.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So he does not get credit for a shutout? Because he didnt play the full game? I dont think raanta faced a shot.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
In the end, only fantasy fans suffer from this. Obviously if Lundqvist somehow would manage 124 or 125 shutouts.. it would probably stain a bit for Lundqvist as well hah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad