Lundqvist Watch: Back in tomorrow after four games off (Shutout)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lundqvist has looked off this season. Given his great high-danger save percentage but poor low-danger save percentage and his own comments regarding focus, it looks like a mental, not physical, issue.

Anyway, Raanta is making his third straight start today, well-deserved too.

There is no controversy to date, but the press will of course try to make one now. Thought a thread would be fun to monitor the evolution of this mini-story in New York.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
It hasn't been confirmed Rantaa is starting...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
As I get older, and maybe it's the historian in me, the mini-stories that develop through a season become as compelling to me as the on-ice product. This is one of those stories. And I thought it would be fun to have a thread to track it. Knowing Hank, he'll be back to his elite self by January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can't wait til he retires and starts a fashion line

He's already a model for Bread & Boxers USA

BnB-Lundqvist.jpg

BnB-Lundqvist-5.jpg

BnB-Lundqvist-1.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stupid sexy Lundqvist.

"Play the hot hand" is as old as goaltending itself, no? Well, not literally, but you know. Doubt this is Henrik's swan song.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Let Raanta play when he is playing like he is doing atm. The way it should be and this is why having a good backup is valuable. Lundquist is the starter but nothing wrong with playing a player who is on fire. Hank isnt bigger than the team, playing raanta now when he is on fire is the right thing to do!

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
most overrated player over the past 3 years. bout time someone took over the reigns.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
don't worry they'll be posted soon enough.

:laugh:

Bottom line is that this type of situation--franchise goalie struggling, back-up hot--is always difficult for coaches to manage. It'll be interesting to see how AV threads this needle if Raanta does it again tonight.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
Let Raanta play when he is playing like he is doing atm. The way it should be and this is why having a good backup is valuable. Lundquist is the starter but nothing wrong with playing a player who is on fire. Hank isnt bigger than the team, playing raanta now when he is on fire is the right thing to do!
Indeed. And I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist is one of those goalies that doesn't get his feelings hurt when his back-up gets some well-deserved starts in a row. This seems like the perfect situation for NYR:

1. One of the best goaltenders of this generation getting some rest and finding his groove
2. Offering Raanta some confidence boost and showing that playing well will yield immediate increase in the amount of starts
3. Winning games...

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
he was never God.

He's been a 1st/2nd team all star ONLY TWICE.

top 3 All-star selection only 3 times in his career.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
he was never God.

Hank is an interesting case. He never had an all-time peak. But he had a fantastic prime and all-time consistency. He's going into the Hall. For those older than me, who does he compare to? He's Brodeur-lite to me.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
he was never God.

Yeah, because the allstar selection is how you determine the level of a player. Like allstar MVP John Scott. :naughty:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
There've been Lundqvist Watches every year dating back to when Prince Chad Johnson was a Ranger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad