Lundqvist Watch: Back in tomorrow after four games off (Shutout)

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I don't see this as a problem for the rangers, having to sit Lundqvist for a while. Raanta isn't going to get shut-outs in every game he plays, and once he lets one in, pull him and let Lundqvist loose. Lundqvist is going to go be in the zone for a long time. Similar goalie competition that was with Thomas and Rask in Boston a few years back.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
There wouldn't have been competition for Brodeur outside the top-3 goalies of any given season from '93-'10. There was no need for a backup that would give you more than 3-8 games a season for almost two decades.

Lundqvist has looked off since the end of November last year. His cap hit will be detrimental at the end of next season. A lot of young talent will need to be resigned and if he doesn't return to form and Shestyorkin becomes a NHL starting netminder, you might have 8.5 million sitting on the bench for 40-50 games.

I remember Brodeur getting shelled down the end of 98. Should have been benched.

8 GP 1-5-1 .843 SV %

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I remember Brodeur getting shelled down the end of 98. Should have been benched.

8 GP 1-5-1 .843 SV %

Yep he had his weak stretches just like any other goalie.

He never had a competent backup because he was generally a top-tier goalie, and he played 75 games a year. There was no point in acquiring a top-tier backup for <10 starts a year.

If Lundqvist played 75 games a year, the Rangers may have gone with a cheaper (and crappier) backup as well.

But if Brodeur had played 60-65 games a year, and the Devils got a quality backup (lets say Manny Fernandez) there were absolutely stretches of Marty's career where Fernandez would have pushed for a stretch of games. And that's not a knock on Brodeur by any means.

He just is a totally different animal due to the amount of games he played per season.

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
Yep he had his weak stretches just like any other goalie.

He never had a competent backup because he was generally a top-tier goalie, and he played 75 games a year. There was no point in acquiring a top-tier backup for <10 starts a year.

If Lundqvist played 75 games a year, the Rangers may have gone with a cheaper (and crappier) backup as well.

But if Brodeur had played 60-65 games a year, and the Devils got a quality backup (lets say Manny Fernandez) there were absolutely stretches of Marty's career where Fernandez would have pushed for a stretch of games. And that's not a knock on Brodeur by any means.

He just is a totally different animal due to the amount of games he played per season.

Manny Fernandez was more than just a quality backup. He was a starting goaltender who just played in a two goalie system.

Point is Brodeur never had this situation (until the tail end of his career, he had his best season at Lundqvist age) and was a completely different beast. So why the hypothetical? I'm sure Belfour was in this situation at times. And more similar goaltenders like Luongo (to a lesser extent Miller) have definitely been in it. Brodeur was on another level, plain and simple.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Manny Fernandez was more than just a quality backup. He was a starting goaltender who just played in a two goalie system.

Point is Brodeur never had this situation (until the tail end of his career, he had his best season at Lundqvist age) and was a completely different beast. So why the hypothetical? I'm sure Belfour was in this situation at times. And more similar goaltenders like Luongo (to a lesser extent Miller) have definitely been in it. Brodeur was on another level, plain and simple.

I wasn't the one who brought up Brodeur - I even said he's a poor comparable. But some jackass had to bring up the "Marty never had this issue..." arguement.

And I was thinking 99-00 Fernandez, when he was clearly a backup in Dallas and Brodeur didn't have the best year during the regular season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Wouldn't be a Lundqvist thread without people making it about Brodeur lol. Raanta could get lit up and pulled halfway through tonight and that could be the end of this

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's okay for Lundqvist to slump. It's not the end of the world. The Rangers are fortunate to have a capable back-up so Lundqvist doesn't have to work through his slump in actual games, he can do it in practice. Not a big deal to me.

Pretty much. Most Rangers fans have been calling for Raanta to start some games while Hank tries to get out of his funk.

haakon84

Dec 14, 2003
Sure but can the Rangers/AV be sure it's just a funk? He has a below replacement level save % over the past year. He has been pulled 7 times in his last 60 games and hasn't looked like the same player for a calendar year. Sure you need to let him work through it but the Rangers maybe a fringe playoff team instead of close to top of the division if it wasn't for Raanta's play right now.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
What the **** is going on. This will hurt me in the Fantasy world.

I picked Raanta up off waivers on saturday because some moron dropped him around monday/tuesday. I picked Darling off waivers like less than two weeks ago because he was going to be the #1 for hawks for a while. People don't pay close enough attention.

Gotta be up to date and make the moves.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
He has a below replacement level save % over the past year.

Please define "replacement level save percentage" in the sense that you're using it, because I'm not reaching the same conclusion that you evidently did.

(For what it's worth, I'm calculating 90.9% as Lundqvist's "past year" save percentage, and 91.2% if you exclude playoffs).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Please define "replacement level save percentage" in the sense that you're using it, because I'm not reaching the same conclusion that you evidently did.

(For what it's worth, I'm calculating 90.9% as Lundqvist's "past year" save percentage, and 91.2% if you exclude playoffs).

It's done by using a rolling 12 months, which drops Oct/Nov 2015 which were great months for Hank. Surprisingly, this "past year" stuff didn't start until December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad