Blue Jays Discussion: Luke Maile: Ace Reliever edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Bret: I know you’re high on Alek Manoah. What is it that, you hope, will separate him from the other big, large SPs that haven’t reached their perceived potential?

Keith Law: Not sure which guys you might mean. Manoah’s well put together; that weight isn’t fat or just heft. His delivery works, he throws strikes, he has four pitches.
Greg: You seemed to like the Blue Jays’ first couple of picks. Does the addition of Robertson (who you ranked better than his draft position) make it a very successful first few picks?

Keith Law: Yep. Really like it so far.
Anik Patel: Thoughts on Blue Jays drafting Canadian talent?

Keith Law: Dasan Brown is legit. No issue taking him in that spot – he’s a real prospect and that wasn’t homerism (hoserism?).

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Conine 2-2 1hr, 1 triple, 2rbi now hitting .500. Probably will get promoted in a week or two as he's clearly too good for Low A, but I guess we can consider this a "rehab assignment" due to his suspension.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Surprised the jays didn’t go heavier on pitchers early. I know position players seems to be what they’re targeting here but man we could use some good pitching in the system

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Surprised the jays didn’t go heavier on pitchers early. I know position players seems to be what they’re targeting here but man we could use some good pitching in the system
Other than taking Pepiot instead of Brown in the third I'm fine with it. It's a weak college pitching class, and most of the top high school pitchers are unsignable after a certain point. We could still probably take a guy in the 11th+ who is one of those 400-500k types and sign them overslot, but there's just not that much money to move around with Williams likely requiring over slot and Manoah probably getting slot.

Not sure how much they would want but these guys are all interesting and are still available, I'm sure at least one of them could be had for 500k-600k if not less. We got Winckowski for 150k as a 15th rounder.

Will Rigney, RHP
Brett Thomas, RHP
Antoine Harris, RHP
Alex McFarlane, RHP
Sebastian Keane, RHP
Dalton Fowler, LHP
Tyler Nesbitt, RHP
Zachary Maxwell, RHP

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
For the knowledgeable prospect people here..

Does Manoah's combination of size and age mean he is likely to progress through the system faster?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Next years draft has a lot of pitching and depending who you ask might be one of the deepest in pitching in years. The Jays will be picking early next year, I suspect they will be adding a lot of pitching then.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Does Manoah's combination of size and age mean he is likely to progress through the system faster?

I wouldn’t say faster but he should be one of the first arms to the majors from this draft if that is what you are asking.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Next years draft has a lot of pitching and depending who you ask might be one of the deepest in pitching in years. The Jays will be picking early next year, I suspect they will be adding a lot of pitching then.
I don’t really like the thought of drafting a pitcher that close to the top of the draft if we do keep plummeting like we are. I’m just surprised we didn’t draft more pitching as it seems to be a serious team need. I’m good with bpa though

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I don’t really like the thought of drafting a pitcher that close to the top of the draft if we do keep plummeting like we are. I’m just surprised we didn’t draft more pitching as it seems to be a serious team need. I’m good with bpa though

It won’t be forced at all, there will be legit pitchers that deserved to be taken that early. Maybe not Mize good but it’s early where they might be.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Luckily we're currently in position A for Torkelson, next year's Andrew Vaughn. Even with our win we have the third worst record.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I like the look of Glen Santiago. The tools look legit: 6.40 runner, 93mph arm, 89mph exit velo. Swing looks loose, and frame should be able to add 15-20 pounds of muscle.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What Keith Law liked (and didn't) on MLB draft Day 1 for all 30 teams
The Blue Jays benefited from those picks by landing Manoah, whom I had as the best pitcher in the entire draft class. He is a four-pitch right-hander who attacks hitters in the zone and throws a ton of strikes. That's easily one of my favorite picks of the night. They also took a projection right-hander in Kendall Williams in the second round. Williams is 6-foot-6 with velocity and good breaking stuff and in need of some delivery help, but he is a great complement to the advanced college arm in Manoah.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
By my rough calculations the Jays should be able to save between 700-900k on their picks from rounds 1-10 to re-allocate to picks 11 and on. That's including the 5% pool overage buffer. Hope they use it all to snag one high-profile faller tomorrow like they did with Tellez years ago.

I have Williams signing for about 1.8M (400k above slot), which is about what it took to buy the higher ranked Will Banfield out of his Vandy commit last year. I have Manoah signing for slightly below slot at 4.2-4.3M which is in line with previous college right handers taken outside the top 10.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Still doing where Pearson pitches two innings. He was solid no baserunners.

I think this whole year is going to be 2-5-2-5-2-5-2, which I'm fine with.

I mean....certainly has a faster route than a prep arm would, comparatively. For example, Kloffenstein won't see full season ball until next year, while Manoah (if he signs right away) could hit Vancouver and even Lansing this year. However, the whole "fast mover" thing rarely, rarely works out.

At the end of the day, stuff is stuff. If he goes out and shoves, he'll break in quickly (i.e. Stroman). If he stalls out at Double-A, then it will be a trudge (like it was with Deck, Chad Jenkins, Jon Harris, David Purcey, etc.).

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
By my rough calculations the Jays should be able to save between 700-900k on their picks from rounds 1-10 to re-allocate to picks 11 and on. That's including the 5% pool overage buffer. Hope they use it all to snag one high-profile faller tomorrow like they did with Tellez years ago.

That looks like a very aggressive estimate to me. I'd imagine that any saved pool money - if there is any after paying Kendall Williams - would first and foremost go to signing the Sophomore catcher from Vanderbilt that they took in the 9th round. He isn't signing for $154K or whatever his slot is, and I'm sure they drafted him there with the intention of trying to sign him.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
That looks like a very aggressive estimate to me. I'd imagine that any saved pool money - if there is any after paying Kendall Williams - would first and foremost go to signing the Sophomore catcher from Vanderbilt that they took in the 9th round. He isn't signing for $154K or whatever his slot is, and I'm sure they drafted him there with the intention of trying to sign him.

I have him as a 500-550k talent based on past comparables.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The guy I want if we have any money left is Antoine Harris. One of the youngest players in the draft at 17.9, uber projectable at 6'4 170lbs, athletic, already up to 94mph with an easy delivery, and only committed to New Orleans which isn't exactly a power house (so he should be signable). Ranked 131st by Fangraphs but unranked by MLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad