Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
upload_2019-6-5_20-28-11.png

Reactions: phillipmike

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Mets are pretty barren, and I doubt they would move Mauricio for Giles. Dodgers have enough depth that we could get someone interesting even outside their top 4.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Any reviews/grades on the Jays draft yet?

Last year the Jays got three legit prospects in Groshans, Conine and Kloffenstein with good depth. I’d give that draft an A so far.

This draft they got two legit prospects in Manoah and Williams. Manoah is probably closer than any of the three taken in 2018 but Williams is probably further away. If the Jays sign all or most of their “harder” signs then I would have no problem giving them a B+, it’s a B right now for me which isn’t bad, I thought their 2018 draft was a B draft right when it happened. A lot depends on Manoah.

I didn’t and don’t see any bad misses or bad early picks. There were some picks I personally didn’t like and some I really liked but none were “terrible” picks.

Reactions: canucksfan

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Olney: Why it'll be a buyer's trade market this summer -- and who benefits most
The other day, a high-ranking baseball executive referred to a time when most teams operated very, very differently than they do now, and remembered how aggressively clubs used to pursue a wild-card entry into the playoffs, how they would be willing to overpay in a midseason trade to merely reach the postseason.

Really, it was just a decade ago. But given the explosion in baseball analytics and the change in the rules for postseason berths, with wild-card entrants guaranteed only one game, the executive said, teams have a different perspective. "Nobody's going to be hyperaggressive if they think their only shot [for the playoffs] is a possible wild card," he said. "Nobody thinks that way anymore."

This is important to remember in framing the upcoming trade market, because it appears that half of the division races will be regarded by front offices as locked down.
The Twins, Dodgers and Astros probably won't overpay for anything these days, given their current context.

If there are fewer buyers, as it appears, then teams such as the Phillies, Braves, Yankees and Rays could benefit. The Yankees need a starting pitcher, and as they talk with Keuchel about a possible deal, they have the leverage of understanding that there are plenty of other market options to consider -- Madison Bumgarner, the Jays' Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez, the Mariners' Marco Gonzales, perhaps Mike Minor of the Rangers and Matthew Boyd of the Tigers. Even if the Yankees, Braves and Phillies wait out the high prices, they're probably bound to get somebody decent.

A common practice of sellers is to try to dump salary close to the trade deadline, leaving big-market teams in a commanding position to grab more expensive veterans -- an advantage the Phillies might have over the Braves, because the Phillies are flush in available dollars and Atlanta has very little flexibility.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yennsy Diaz and Joey Murray with goid starts last night. Phelps threw an inning for Dunedin.
The Bisons managed 4 hits. In a doubleheader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->