Blue Jays Discussion: Luke Maile: Ace Reliever edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Odell Beckham Jr is pretty well known as well among non NFL fans.

Probably won't hear anything from him for a few more years, as he's been banished to Football Purgatory...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nick Allgeyer was real good again with Dunedin yesterday. Season numbers are real strong.
Patrick Murphy excellent for New Hampshire. Nice bounce back.
DH in Buffalo today: SRF and Conor Fisk start. Struggling Hector Perez goes for New Hampshire.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I have been very open minded going into this season. Wanted to see our prospects develop in the minors and I was very interested to see how the MLB side of things played out. I wasn't expecting contending this season and still do not. But the fact that this team is playing well keeps me interested.

Some highs so far :

- SP has held its own. (Impressed with Stroman, Sanchez and Thornton)
- BP has worked. (Luciano looks like a good prospect, great rule 5 pickup)
- Galvis, Smoak and Sogard are providing solid stats and leadership.
- Tellez continues to contribute
- Overall defense has improved

Some lows so far:

- Jansen's slow start
- Shoemakers injury
-Gurriel not working out. Pulled plug too quick
- Bichette injury and progress
- Richard, Borucki injuries

Hope is they continue to play at minimum .500 ball the rest of the season and players continue to develop. Would love to see players like Smoak, Galvis, Sogard, Buckholtz, Tepera, Hudson, Drury and Richard flipped for more prospects.

Reactions: Slyfox

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Love the title

As of yesterday Drury has a better wRC+ than Vlad and Sogard would be 6th in all of MLB if he had enough plate appearances to qualify.

Fun fact: if PAs weren't a factor, your current league leader in wRC+ would be Zack Grienke with a sparkling 332 mark in 16 trips to the plate. He has 2 hr, 4 RBI, 5 runs scored, a 2:1 strikeout to walk ratio while only k'ing 12% of the time and a bonkers ops of 1.731

Plus he's been solid on the mound.

Trade Vlad for Grienke, make him the new Shohei Otani

Reactions: Morgs

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Probably won't hear anything from him for a few more years, as he's been banished to Football Purgatory...
LOL the Browns have massive hype due to him being traded there and it's not like the Giants are any better. You're wrong.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Or keep the kid who's going to carry this team for the next decade or so. Once he gets MLB timing down he is going to crush it.

9nohQh4.jpg

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
LOL the Browns have massive hype due to him being traded there and it's not like the Giants are any better. You're wrong.
The Browns have massive hype every year. Then the games start...
Seriously, the NFL always hypes up the Browns. Probably because it has to work at some point...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The Browns have massive hype every year. Then the games start...
Seriously, the NFL always hypes up the Browns. Probably because it has to work at some point...
Last 4 years:

3-13
1-15
0-16
7-8-1

Are we talking about the same team? This team has been a dog's breakfast for the better part of a decade and you're thinking they have massive hype every year?

I'm unsure you know who the Browns are. The Cleveland Browns.

Reactions: Yeah15

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Last 4 years:

3-13
1-15
0-16
7-8-1

Are we talking about the same team? This team has been a dog's breakfast for the better part of a decade and you're thinking they have massive hype every year?

Browns are the real deal this year. Probably division winners this season and playoff performers. Mayfield, OBJ, Hunt, Laundry on offense too much to handle for teams. Vegas has it right this year.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
ESPN’s Buster Olney joined 1050’s First Up with Michael Landsberg to discuss whether the Blue Jays are still likely to deal Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez and if they can expect a hefty return in a potential trade given their strong starts.

Olney says the Toronto Blue Jays could get a "really good" return in a potential Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez trade.

Olney: Jays could get ‘really good’ return in potential Stroman, Sanchez trade - TSN.ca
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Jays could shoot for a hefty return.

“The way that it’s shaping up this summer [versus last year] it’s the complete opposite where Stroman looks great and Sanchez look great,” Olney said Tuesday on TSN 1050’s First Up with Michael Landsberg.

“But some of the other guys who might be options on the trade market, like Madison Bumgarner, haven’t looked good so far and so you figure that if in fact the Blue Jays take [Stroman and Sanchez] out into the market they’re going to do really well and you would assume that the focus for the Blue Jays is going to be on adding pitching.”

As for the kind of return the Jays could get in a potential deal, Olney had this to say:

“But big picture, [this season] for the Blue Jays this is about promoting some of these great young prospects for the first time to get their first taste in the big leagues and then to see what they can get for Stroman and Sanchez, which as I say, should be really good as long as those guys continue to perform this way and stay healthy and it will fuel the rebuild. All you have to do is look and see what they gave up to the Mets for R.A. Dickey. And Noah Syndergaard, that’s the type of guy you could expect to get for Stroman and Aaron Sanchez.”

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Browns are the real deal this year. Probably division winners this season and playoff performers. Mayfield, OBJ, Hunt, Laundry on offense too much to handle for teams. Vegas has it right this year.

Yeah, could be. I was more referring to the poster thinking the Browns have massive hype every year. This year they do and it could be legit, but I'm not sure how hyped the Browns were winning 4 games total in three years.

Anyway, sorry, back to baseball!

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Yeah, could be. I was more referring to the poster thinking the Browns have massive hype every year. This year they do and it could be legit, but I'm not sure how hyped the Browns were winning 4 games total in three years.

Anyway, sorry, back to baseball!

They built a real front office for once. The team is moving forward really fast.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
According to baseball reference the average age of the Toronto Blue Jays position players is 26.7 years old - 2nd in the league to the Padres at 26.5. League average is 28.4

Average age of Jays pitchers - 28.1 years old (10th in the league). League average is 28.8.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
With Cal Quantrill getting the call, i wonder if we can get a good Canadian Baseball team going;

C: George Kottras
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Brett Lawrie
SS: Russell Martin
3B: Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
OF: Tyler O'Neil
OF: Dalton Pompey
OF: Michael Saunders
DH: Joey Votto

James Paxton
Mike Soroka
Nick Pivetta
James Taillon
Cal Quantrill

Got the Naylor brothers coming up (Josh isnt slowing down from last year) and some others in the minors. Got no pen or bench.

I am fully aware Vladdy and Taillon would never play for team Canada. Freeman may not do it again either.

Reactions: jetsforever

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Vlad Jr.'s first rookie card sets Topps record

The Topps trading card company announced Monday that Guerrero’s first rookie card, made available the day after his debut Friday in Toronto, has broken a record for any card released through the company’s TOPPS NOW program by selling 19,396 copies within the one day of sales. That mark broke the previous one-day record of 17,323, set by Angels two-way phenom Shohei Ohtani last year.

Reactions: Atrusai

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
With Cal Quantrill getting the call, i wonder if we can get a good Canadian Baseball team going;

James Paxton
Mike Soroka
Nick Pivetta
James Taillon
Cal Quantrill

Got the Naylor brothers coming up (Josh isnt slowing down from last year) and some others in the minors. Got no pen or bench.

I am fully aware Vladdy and Taillon would never play for team Canada. Freeman may not do it again either.
There's a few guys with great stuff that can handle bullpen imo, they're just in the minors right now

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Report: Blue Jays to try trading Stroman, Sanchez, Smoak - Sportsnet.ca
Guerrero’s major-league debut and high-ceiling potential has sparked interest from baseball fans and pundits south of the border in addition to Canada and during a Monday roundtable discussion with Brain Kenny, Sarah Langs and Dan O’Dowd on MLB Network, Rosenthal provided some insight into how Blue Jays management might choose to construct the roster going forward.

“It’s going to be really interesting to watch the Jays over the next few months because what I believe they’re going to do – what I’m told they’re going to do – is try to trade [Marcus] Stroman, [Aaron] Sanchez, [Justin] Smoak and others to get more young talent in Vladdy’s age range and service class and then build up that way,” Rosenthal said.

Guerrero impressed onlookers, recording three hits and drawing one walk in 12 at-bats, during a three-game sweep of the Oakland Athletics over the weekend. He’s a blue-chip prospect expected to be the face of the franchise, but isn’t the only highly-touted youngster in Toronto’s system.

Rosenthal also mentioned 24-year-old infielder Cavan Biggio and 21-year-old shortstop Bo Bichette, MLB Pipeline’s No. 10-ranked prospect, as key pieces the team plans on building around.

Reactions: phillipmike

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Last 4 years:

3-13
1-15
0-16
7-8-1

I know what their records are over the last few years. I'm a Lions fan; we play Cleveland in the pre-season most of the time. Every time, we get to hear from the talking heads that "this is the year the Cleveland Browns turn it around!" They frequently top "up and coming great teams" lists. Even in the 0-16 season, outlets talked about them before the season started like they were going to be massively improved, and maybe compete for a playoff spot.

Is the hype real this year? Maybe.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

James Paxton
Mike Soroka
Nick Pivetta
James Taillon
Cal Quantrill

Taillon was planning on pitching for Canada at the last WBC before he got injured I am pretty sure. Vlad I would be pretty surprised but where a player was raised doesn't always seem to matter in baseball anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->