Player Discussion Lukas Dostal

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thinking about his size again.
Shestyorkin is having a fantastic start of his career in these few seasons and he is 6`1. Gosh, Saros is having fantastic past couple of years and he's the size of Zellweger.
Dostal should be fine, it's not 6`2 or bust, for sure.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And he was the player of the week last week? Just coming out of a shutout. It's a coming out party for Dostal :laugh:

It’s interesting this all happened after his taste of the NHL , kid is hungry and may have a decision to make in a year or two with Gibson. It’s honestly a good problem to have. I don’t watch many Gulls games just watch the highlights but is it true the Gulls D is pretty bad?

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
It’s interesting this all happened after his taste of the NHL , kid is hungry and may have a decision to make in a year or two with Gibson. It’s honestly a good problem to have. I don’t watch many Gulls games just watch the highlights but is it true the Gulls D is pretty bad?

Yep, kid got a couple games up here and probably got some extra work with Sudsy and has been dynamite since the New Year and in particular since they did away with the taxi squad in late January.

By my count, over his last 11 appearances since the calendar flipped to 2022 (9 starts, he’s had to relieve OEE twice), he’s 7-2 with a 1.87 GAA and a .945 SV%. If he finishes the year like this, there are gonna be serious discussions of him at least serving as the backup next season

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully he gets a few more games down the stretch, if he does and performs well, I wonder if he'd be ready for a "1B/2A" spot next year IF (and a big if) a team is desperate and pays a pretty penny for Gibson. Stolarz takes more starts, but maybe not as many as a true starter and Dostal takes less than a split but more than a #2 goalie would. Especially if Lindholm is moved, the Ducks should be building for 2-3 years from now and Gibson will probably not be happy about that (and Dostal will more than likely be a starter by then).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hopefully he gets a few more games down the stretch, if he does and performs well, I wonder if he'd be ready for a "1B/2A" spot next year IF (and a big if) a team is desperate and pays a pretty penny for Gibson. Stolarz takes more starts, but maybe not as many as a true starter and Dostal takes less than a split but more than a #2 goalie would. Especially if Lindholm is moved, the Ducks should be building for 2-3 years from now and Gibson will probably not be happy about that (and Dostal will more than likely be a starter by then).
I would consider moving stolarz and let dostal back up gibson after deadline… get him a few games but also get him practice with big club/coaches and prepare him to be back up next year

Reactions: lwvs84

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm not sure if my post went through, but who was the 'insider' that wrote off Dostal due to his size??
It wasn’t an insider but a prospect evaluator, I think either Pronman or Wheeler. It’s probably buried somewhere on one of the prospect threads here on the forum.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It wasn’t an insider but a prospect evaluator, I think either Pronman or Wheeler. It’s probably buried somewhere on one of the prospect threads here on the forum.

Wheeler definitely held it against him.

Reactions: ADHB

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
This organization has been blessed with having young goalies continuously pressure the established starting NHL goalie for as long as I can remember. Probably since JS/Bryz, which is like 20 years ago lol.

It looks like it's going to happen again, potentially as soon as next year.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This organization has been blessed with having young goalies continuously pressure the established starting NHL goalie for as long as I can remember. Probably since JS/Bryz, which is like 20 years ago lol.

It looks like it's going to happen again, potentially as soon as next year.
I anticipate another one this draft. The depth after dostal is really middling.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I don't blame scouting guys for being hesitant with dostal. It's pretty rare for guys his size to become legitimate NHL goaltenders.
Eliteprospects has him at 6’2. That’s not quite average these days, but it’s not particularly rare. 5 of the top 10 goalies in SV% (minimum like 10 games I assume) are that height or smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad