Player Discussion Lukas Dostal

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Lol I don't even know what to do with this mess.

No one has said he's too small or that smaller goalies can't and haven't flourished in the league. You are taking the comment about lacking ideal size as way more of a slight than it needs to be. Ideally he would be a bit bigger - it shouldn't be news that larger goalies have become the norm. Size is definitely a factor people look at when scouting goalies, under a certain size they simply are not given a chance. However you are hilariously overreacting as though someone has stated that size is all that matters and no one said anything remotely close to that.

It's great that you chose to make the most foolish part bright purple, so those who usually scroll past your essays won't miss it.

Dostal is 6'1. If everything else (talent/athleticism, performance etc) remained the exact same, but he was 6'3 - he would be more highly regarded as a prospect. That's all anyone has said and it should not have been enough to set you off on a purple trainwreck.
You can't argue with stupid

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He should come to play in the AHL/NHL after his Liiga season.

Cant believe people want Askarov when we have Dostal.
Isn't he expected to come to the Gulls once the season here starts? Really not sure, but I had that thought in my head.
Anyway, yeah he's not gonna stay in Europe for long.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He should come to play in the AHL/NHL after his Liiga season.

Isn't he expected to come to the Gulls once the season here starts? Really not sure, but I had that thought in my head.
Anyway, yeah he's not gonna stay in Europe for long.

He was supposed to go to USA for this season, but corona got in the way. I think his contract with Ilves is until NHL/AHL can start. There are plenty of loan players in Liiga right now.

Oct 18, 2011
I truly believe he is one of the best goalie prospects out there.
Some look at his last WJC and say - he had bad numbers there. Forgetting their team caught a flu and Dostal himself lost 10 lb in a couple of days. Yet, as an 18 year old in WJC he posted a 1.25 GAA and .957% performance, Combine it with his Liiga performances for the past 3 years - he is a gamer. Will surprise a lot of people, but probably not that much those who have followed him for a while.
He will need some adjustment on NA ice, so likely we are looking at 21/22 season when he will start to make an impact in the NHL.
And when it comes to goalies if they perform well in top leagues overseas it bodes well for their NHL future.

Reactions: Kalv

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Because Askarov has superstar all written over him and the hype is deserved. Time will tell, who end up being better but Askarov is the clear frontrunner. Size, league, impact everywhere in his pre draft year.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Because Askarov has superstar all written over him and the hype is deserved. Time will tell, who end up being better but Askarov is the clear frontrunner. Size, league, impact everywhere in his pre draft year.
So he might be almost good as gibson...maybe..... possibly...probably not...

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Only way ducks get askarov is if they see him as a generational goalie, better than gibson and then decide to trade Gibson. I just don't see it.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
This team is not going to draft Askarov. He's not a need with Gibson in net and Dostal coming along nicely. The people on the Askarov train need to get over it. He's not coming here

Reactions: Dryish and Kalv

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
This team is not going to draft Askarov. He's not a need with Gibson in net and Dostal coming along nicely. The people on the Askarov train need to get over it. He's not coming here

This, but he clearly is still the better prospect than Dostal.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He talks nice. He almost have Finnish accent there, I wonder if he picked up some Finnish language in the couple of years there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He is smaller than I though. He looks the same size as Tracey (left). You can see Gibson there who looks huge besides him :laugh:

upload_2022-1-14_15-17-7.png

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why does Stolarz, the largest goaltender, not simply eat the other 2? :laugh:

I'm fairly certain that is actually Stolarz, though, who's like 6'6".
Yeah, that might actually be the case. I think Gibby was still in protocol, that's why Dosty got to play.

But still, Dostal looked to be the same size of Steel and Tracey

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah, that might actually be the case. I think Gibby was still in protocol, that's why Dosty got to play.

But still, Dostal looked to be the same size of Steel and Tracey
Tracey is apparently 6'0 and Dostal is listed at 6'2 on NHL website. So it would appear he's 6'0 which means he's small goalie but not 5'10 small.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Tracey is apparently 6'0 and Dostal is listed at 6'2 on NHL website. So it would appear he's 6'0 which means he's small goalie but not 5'10 small.
He might be 6`0 or 6`1-ish at best (looking at the sholder level). McTavish is somewhere listed as 6`2 as well somewhere which certainly is not true. Not sure why it's so hard to measure a human being, lol

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He might be 6`0 or 6`1-ish at best (looking at the sholder level). McTavish is somewhere listed as 6`2 as well somewhere which certainly is not true. Not sure why it's so hard to measure a human being, lol
Yeah the teams themselves can measure the player and i'm sure all teams know the players real height so the only one their fooling is the fans.

The only people who try to do the opposite and be 'shorter' is actresses and models, they say they are 5'11 if they are 6'0 or taller, anything to appear under 6'0

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
For what it's worth Dostal was listed as 6'1" in Finland

Reactions: Kalv

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
If it was that important, they should measure to their shoulders (when crouching), and the length of their legs (Butterfly and kick saves). Total height is not as relevant as some people have long necks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad