Player Discussion Lukas Dostal

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Grabbing Lukas Dostal is a great way to restock the Ducks non-pro system which is non-existent after Olle Eriksson Ek. He finished 2nd in my rankings behind fellow Czech Jakub Skarek:

During the season he transitioned from a more physical slanted stance of the low/wide variety to a more technical slanted stance of having his legs upright and upper body being compact with his hands in close to his body. This transition happened because he prefers to use his technical skill with his physical skills being the supplementing factor rather than the other way around. Dostal is able to be successful in using this play style due to having a good understanding of the goaltending position and being patient on his feet. It can be a bit of struggle for him though in sticking with his patient, technical style of play because he knows his physical skills can be a primary tool. He’s quick and efficient on his feet which is why he does his best to stay on his feet as long as possible. When Dostal needs to activate his edges he’s just as quick as he is when he’s on his feet. What I’d like to see is more control when Dostal activates his edges as it’s at a good level now but there are noticeable moments where he ends up off-angle and out of position.

When he breaks from his primary style of play he ends up being over active in net. He’ll react to every movement of the puck wasting energy and putting him a bit further behind the play every time. This happens on long range shots as well making him vulnerable to any deflections that happen on the way to the net because he moves aggressively in front of shots despite the traffic. He does well enough in recovering in these situations at the current level but at higher levels will find himself at a disadvantage if he doesn’t learn to trust his puck tracking more and not react so much to plays. It’s this over activeness that hurts his rebound control. In 2/3 tournaments (Hlinka, U18 5 Nations, U18 WJC) tracked Dostal has posted a below average Impact Rating on Low Danger Area shots because of the rebounds that he’s letting out.

And his puck tracking deserves to be trusted because it’s very good. It’s also partially the reason why he’s over active in net because he’s able to see the puck’s every movement so he believes he needs to react to everything he sees. It saves him though when it comes to recovering on his rebounds as he’s able to get back in front of the rebounds to make the save. You’d like to see him eliminate the need to recover on his rebounds so often though. The other aspect of his game I’d like to see improved upon revolves around his play near the posts. On behind-the-net plays he’s still trying to figure out how best to move from post-to-post on his knees as well as learning how to best track the puck when it’s behind the net. When he’s on his feet he showed inconsistent decision making when near the posts. It looked like he couldn’t decide whether he wanted to overlap the post or end up on the post when it came to sharp angle plays off the rush. Needs to make a decision and go with it to prevent dangerous chances occurring or goals.

When it came to playing the puck he was good at it and showed he’ll play the puck in any situation but is capable of recognizing when he needs to cover it. Generally I liked his decision making with the puck and he has average power when it comes to clearing or passing the puck. It’s a small issue but you’d like to see him be a bit stronger with the puck if he continues to play the puck with heavy pressure on him.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Like I posted in the Roman Durny thread, it's also interesting to see where Lukas goes next season. He's on a junior contract to HC Kometa Brno (Czech elite league), but Kometa has a lot of competition on that position. I don't think it'd benefit Lukas to get loaned to the tier 2 league again, so I'm hoping that he gets to pursue a better opportunity somewhere else.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Like I posted in the Roman Durny thread, it's also interesting to see where Lukas goes next season. He's on a junior contract to HC Kometa Brno (Czech elite league), but Kometa has a lot of competition on that position. I don't think it'd benefit Lukas to get loaned to the tier 2 league again, so I'm hoping that he gets to pursue a better opportunity somewhere else.

The CHL recently lifted it's ban on import goalies....import draft takes place on Thursday.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It feels like the Ducks have had this constant stream of solid developed goalies.

Giggy
Bryz
Hiller
Andersen
Gibson

That's 20 years. Some teams haven't had ONE solid starter developed in those 20 years.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hiller was not developped much, he was already playing professionally for many years before that. But sure a solid list of goalies, Dostal looks to be crazy good.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
It feels like the Ducks have had this constant stream of solid developed goalies.

Giggy
Bryz
Hiller
Andersen
Gibson

That's 20 years. Some teams haven't had ONE solid starter developed in those 20 years.
Even plucked victor fasth from Europe who was decent for us

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Dostals first two years post draft are even more impressive than Gibson’s were. Gibson has him beat in international play but Dostal blows him out of the water in terms of the numbers he put up in the leagues he was in.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dostals first two years post draft are even more impressive than Gibson’s were. Gibson has him beat in international play but Dostal blows him out of the water in terms of the numbers he put up in the leagues he was in.
And regarding the international play - this year Dostal and part of his team got sick in a very bad moment, Dostal lost 10 lbs, still played but obviously Czechs fell short. This year also Dostal doesn`t have a chance to see if he could compete in WC, like Gibson did in his D+2 year.

But last year, as an 18 year old with .957 in 4 games of WJC, Dostal was at an eybrow-rising level.
Dostal is playing in pro league these two years as well, that is a level higher than the OHL.

I don`t think it`s necessary to compare both toe to toe but arguments can be made that Dostal is having a more impressive U-20 career than Gibby. And Gibby was considered the next best goalie, Dostal is a Czech and not as visible to North Americans (absolutely no offense here), so he hasn`t made as much noise. Yet.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
If Dostal comes over to play in the AHL and dominates, and Gibby continues his inconsistencies for a 3rd year in a row... I can see us trading Gibby during our rebuild. I'm hoping Dostal continues his trend, he reminds me a bit of Tuuka Rask. Hopefully Gibby rebounds and can at least mentor Dostal for a few years. Its always great to have a competitive dual like Gibby/Andersen, Giggy/Hiller/Bryzgalov, etc.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If Dostal comes over to play in the AHL and dominates, and Gibby continues his inconsistencies for a 3rd year in a row... I can see us trading Gibby during our rebuild. I'm hoping Dostal continues his trend, he reminds me a bit of Tuuka Rask. Hopefully Gibby rebounds and can at least mentor Dostal for a few years. Its always great to have a competitive dual like Gibby/Andersen, Giggy/Hiller/Bryzgalov, etc.

When I watch Dostal I can't say I'm reminded of Rask at all, fair bit smaller and I just don't see the similarities.

Shesterkin is who I can picture Dostal taking after. Below average size but amazing tracking ability and athleticism.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Dostal is in tough situation. But if he says healthy he may be the goalie of the future. I expect him being in the AHL for 2 years. An option I think about would be 1 year in SHL if someone has interest, since it's a better league.

He clearly lacks the ideal size otherwise he would be considered as a future star goalie everywhere.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dostal is in tough situation. But if he says healthy he may be the goalie of the future. I expect him being in the AHL for 2 years. An option I think about would be 1 year in SHL if someone has interest, since it's a better league.

He clearly lacks the ideal size otherwise he would be considered as a future star goalie everywhere.
Eliteprospects have only 2 cm difference between them which is very insignificant, if true. Dostal is skinny, but that`s not as big of a problem long-term. In any case, Dostal is not small:

ckp-f201912230074101.jpg

Also, here`s some fairly-fresh highlights of him:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Eliteprospects have only 2 cm difference between them which is very insignificant, if true. Dostal is skinny, but that`s not as big of a problem long-term. In any case, Dostal is not small:

ckp-f201912230074101.jpg

Also, here`s some fairly-fresh highlights of him:

Dostal is below average height for an NHL goalie. He's 6'1, the average NHL goalie is over 6'2, and Rask is 6'3.

Reactions: Masch78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad