Rumor: Lucic + Russell for Neal and Frolik

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
If this trade did happen then the Flames probably have a third team lined up to take Lucic, not involving Eriksson coming back. Something like Lucic with 2 million retained to an Eastern team for a low draft pick.

Why would they do that? It makes no sense its not worth it for the Flames to do it.

They're just adding to their payroll for very little return.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Honestly both the 2017 and 2019 Flames would have wiped the floor with the 2015 team. Well maybe not 2017 if we get 2017 playoff Brian Elliott. The 2015 team got to play a round against a really bad Vancouver team where both of the other teams got much tougher opponents.

Also toughness hasn't been the issue. The biggest blowout of a series we've had was the second round series in 2015 which as you said, had guys like Bollig, Engelland, etc. (should mention Glencross was traded at the 2015 trade deadline). We lost in 2017 due almost entirely to Brian Elliott being awful, but a few bad mistakes. We carried the play for most of that series. And in 2019, Colorado was skating circles around us for some reason. Adding a bunch of slow tough guys wouldn't have solved that problem.
I appreciate this. All of the people who think they can diagnose a playoff series without watching it should give this a read.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Bennett's defensive results are somehow worse than his already bad offense. Physicality is all he's average or better at.
So you've never watched a Flames game is what you're trying to say. Absolutely brainless statement that is simply not true.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So you've never watched a Flames game is what you're trying to say. Absolutely brainless statement that is simply not true.

Get back to me when he doesn't get outscored and out-shot relative to the team despite getting fluffy soft usage with 55-60% offensive zone starts.

I've watched enough of him to see there's absolutely nothing special here offensively or defensively. He can hit, congrats.

Maybe you guys can start a "we picked a grinder top-10" club with Vancouver, I hear Virtanen hits and is actually really super good if you "just watch him".

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Get back to me when he doesn't get outscored and out-shot relative to the team despite getting fluffy soft usage with 55-60% offensive zone starts.

I've watched enough of him to see there's absolutely nothing special here offensively or defensively. He can hit, congrats.

Maybe you guys can start a "we picked a grinder top-10" club with Vancouver, I hear Virtanen hits and is actually really super good if you "just watch him".

Well yeah it's kind of hard to have positive team differentials when your playing 3rd line minutes on a team with an elite offensive line and shutdown unit ahead of you. Regardless of that he is roughly an even CF% REL over his career, and was a 53.5% playing 5 on 5 minutes with offensive black holes in Jankowski and Neal. Bennett had better metrics than his two most common linemates in pretty much every category imaginable.

His ixGF/60 ranked him first on the team at 0.90 just ahead of Backlund and Monahan.
His iHDCF/60 ranked him first on the team as well ahead of Tkachuk.
He had a horrible PDO.

There are many signs pointing to a potential breakout offensively if given a bigger role, not only statistically but with the "eye test" as well. There is a reason he generates so much interest on the trade boards around here, but the fact remains Calgary has little to no incentive to move him - especially after his performance in the playoffs. Bennett is one of the only players on this roster that consistently plays with intensity, grit, and passion. He is also a cost controlled asset.

Sam Bennett is a good hockey player that has yet to and probably will never live up to his draft pedigree - but guess what? That's ok. He is still an effective role player that has shown flashes of much much more if given a greater opportunity.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

Bennett is a pretty important player on the flames. Not sure what you’re on about

Reactions: Mazatt

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is why stat-watching is bad, it makes you sound really uninformed.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That's why he's played less and less every season. I'm sure his 13 minutes a game last year were absolutely critical.

Tough to find icetime when you have Gaudreau and Tkachuk ahead of you at LW. He either needs to be tried back at C, or given an opportunity at RW.

It's no coincidence that his icetime and production both dropped after his rookie year when Tkachuk joined the league and subsequently took his spot in the lineup.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's why he's played less and less every season. I'm sure his 13 minutes a game last year were absolutely critical.

Nobody said absolutely critical they said important.

I am not sure why you are so hell bent on showing how little you know about the player. Yes if you create arguments that nobody is making and focus on his draft spot you can start to craft an argument that Bennett is no good.

But if you actually look at the player, read what fans are saying and don't try to spin everything to your narrative you can see that Bennett is an effective 3rd line player. It would have been nice to get something more than that at his draft spot but it doesn't change that he is an effective 3rd line guy.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nobody said absolutely critical they said important.

I am not sure why you are so hell bent on showing how little you know about the player. Yes if you create arguments that nobody is making and focus on his draft spot you can start to craft an argument that Bennett is no good.

But if you actually look at the player, read what fans are saying and don't try to spin everything to your narrative you can see that Bennett is an effective 3rd line player. It would have been nice to get something more than that at his draft spot but it doesn't change that he is an effective 3rd line guy.

I mean he's gotten outscored by the other team's 3rd lines every year he's been in the league despite getting sheltered usage with high offensive zone starts.

Just looking for any evidence that he is in fact "effective" and not just a regular 3rd liner.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean he's gotten outscored by the other team's 3rd lines every year he's been in the league despite getting sheltered usage with high offensive zone starts.

Just looking for any evidence that he is in fact "effective" and not just a regular 3rd liner.

The evidence is watching him.

Last year the line got outscored because Jankowski and Neal sucked. It is a perfect example why stats can only show so much. He can;t cover for both those guys being awful and the replacements for Neal didn't offer up anything better. I would suggest you spend more time watching him and less time looking at stats that don't tell you anything. Nobody is saying he is an all-star but he is a positive player for the Flames and a guy that very much deserves a spot in the top 9 at the very least.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The evidence is watching him.

Last year the line got outscored because Jankowski and Neal sucked. It is a perfect example why stats can only show so much. He can;t cover for both those guys being awful and the replacements for Neal didn't offer up anything better. I would suggest you spend more time watching him and less time looking at stats that don't tell you anything. Nobody is saying he is an all-star but he is a positive player for the Flames and a guy that very much deserves a spot in the top 9 at the very least.

It's every single year that he's been in the league. Do all 312 games have an excuse?

I've seen him enough, he's an ok 3rd liner because of his physical game. Most teams have at least 1 guy like that, there's nothing special here. If he puts it all together maybe he's a great 3rd liner or the 3rd wheel on a second line, but he isn't that right now.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

This is just painful to read. not like his line was below 50% CF without him and was up to 50% with him. He's just some average player that people love because he gets scored on. This is a real confusing post. Like... this entire argument is based upon you knowing jack shit about a player.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's every single year that he's been in the league. Do all 312 games have an excuse?

I've seen him enough, he's an ok 3rd liner because of his physical game. Most teams have at least 1 guy like that, there's nothing special here. If he puts it all together maybe he's a great 3rd liner or the 3rd wheel on a second line, but he isn't that right now.

I am not sure every game has an excuse or needs an excuse. Again nobody has said there is anything special there but you. I am not sure anyone has even said he is a great 3rd line player. He is an effective 3rd line guy, a clear cut top 9 player who has enough in his background to have a little potential still left.

I am a bit at a loss of what you are trying to get at here. It seems like you are creating an argument here for you to argue against rather than what is being said. People are saying he is a good 3rd line player for us and you keep coming back with him not being great or special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad