Lucic confirms he will waive NMC for expansion draft

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah, old, obvious news. Aside from Oilers fans that were desperately hoping this wasn't the case, everyone already knew Lucic had agreed to waive his NMC.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Looking at the their roster, maybe they want to protect him... and that's not a compliment of his play....

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He's not going anywhere. This isn't a blanket waive so he can be put on waivers, or traded.

Seattle isn't going to take him. This just allows the Flames to protect a better player, and helps them lose a less valuable player.

As a result, the Flames are a better team, and that benefits Lucic as well for the remainder of his contract.
That’s how I read it. Minor risk for Lucic to provide a solid service that will put him in good with fans and management. Win win

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pretty good? Compared to what? He's a borderline 12th/13th forward making 2ndline money. If he were making league min he'd be out of the league altogether.

You're clueless , but keep talking with 0, zero, cero knowledge on the subject.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Um... no they aren’t... in fact, by definition, he is at best a bad third liner by goals and a clear-cut fourth liner by points.

Not correct . 31 teams with 6 players in the top 6 means there are 186 top 6 forwards . Lucic comes in at 182 which puts him top 6 . Not to mention there some D in that top 182 scorers . Take them out probably has Lucic in the 170s .

As an Oiler fan I am not a Flames fan but I won't bash a team just for the sake of it . I like dealing in facts not hate .

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Outside of a tough initial stretch last year and to start this year he's been a good third liner. Don't think it's likely Seattle takes him but they could honestly do worse.

They are still going to have to hit the cap floor.

Reactions: Boomstick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think moving to Seattle would be a good lifestyle upgrade, what with being from Vancouver and everything...

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Seems that Lucic still has that stigma about him when he was terrible on the Oilers.

I think Lucic is roughly 2 million overpaid. I am fine with paying a bit of a premium (3.25 million) for a third-line winger that has very good underlying metrics, does chip in offensively, plays very physical and is an intimidating presence out there. He plays the game hard and puts in honest shifts every single time. Anyone that thinks Lucic isn't a legitimate NHL'er is just outing themselves as not having watched him play for the last 2 seasons. He is overpaid by about 2 million. He is FAR from the worst contract in the league. He is very much an everyday NHL player who actually does move the needle more than you think.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
People in this thread getting Lucic confused with Neal lol. At least Lucic has a role on the team and isn't a locker room cancer.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's funny how many people don't get it. He's just allowing himself to be exposed to the draft so the organization can protect someone else. Seattle isn't going to pick him unless the Flames add a sweetener, which they won't do.

Love the guy and I hope he stays with us. Yes he's overpaid and his best years are behind him, but he's a top notch teammate.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hes been a pretty decent player for the Flames this season, obviously overpaid, but hes contributed on the ice.

The fact that we was going to waive was pretty common knowledge in Calgary, it was just never made official.

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
I'm sure he wouldn't mind being taken by Seattle and being closer to home.
From my knowledge that's not the case. I was gonna type some shit here but let's leave it at that. My knowledge is also pretty dated now, shit changes.

Random tidbit: His brother Jovan was a better player that him when they were young. Bro moved to Serbia about 8 years ago or so and played pro or semi pro soccer as a goalie. Lucic dad (RIP) was a nice guy, worked with him a lot and was quite quiet and down to earth.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Anyone saying Lucic is done has clearly not watched him.

Seattle takes him with a token minor add (5th or whatever). Wins all around.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
if he was at like 3-3.5 id happily take him over JTC at this point add some toughness to the avs

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly though, barring a trade, who would they rather protect? Dube maybe?
I doubt they go 4-4..

Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Mangiapane
...?

Hanifin
Andersson
Tanev
Definitely Dube