Lucic confirms he will waive NMC for expansion draft

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
How need to retool Flames roster affects Seattle expansion draft situation

Milan Lucic has officially done his part to help with the team’s off-season maneuvering.

The veteran Flames winger has waived the no-movement clause in his contract for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft this summer.

“As much as I want to stay in Calgary I didn’t want to handcuff Tree (GM Brad Treliving) in the expansion draft so I agreed that I would waive it for the expansion draft if he didn’t want to protect me,” Lucic told Sportsnet.ca.

“I really enjoy it here in Calgary and I’d love nothing more than to spend the rest of my career here.”

Lucic confirmed that when Treliving was in the midst of orchestrating the trade that brought Lucic to Calgary for James Neal in July 2019, he gave a verbal agreement to waive his NMC. At that time, Lucic wanted a change of scenery and was more than willing to waive expansion draft protection to make it happen.
Lucic has 20 points in 50 games this season and has two years remaining on his deal, which sees the Flames pay him $5.25 million per season and the Oilers, $750k.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Probably a 1st, but I doubt they would have any desire to do that during a retool.

Lucic's deal doesn't have much term left and he's probably a good guy to have around for the next couple of years. If Calgary really needs to trade him at some point, I feel like they might be able to find a taker at 50% retained in the final year of his deal (if he continues his solid production and play from this season).

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
How noble of him. I doubt Seattle takes him. Next stop, waiver wire? Buyout? Europe? Retirement?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They'll have to pay a heavy price to convince Seattle to take him. He's done as an NHL player. The game has passed him by.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He's been pretty good this year actually. He just makes too much money

Pretty good? Compared to what? He's a borderline 12th/13th forward making 2ndline money. If he were making league min he'd be out of the league altogether.

Reactions: Tom Brady

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
He's not going anywhere. This isn't a blanket waive so he can be put on waivers, or traded.

Seattle isn't going to take him. This just allows the Flames to protect a better player, and helps them lose a less valuable player.

As a result, the Flames are a better team, and that benefits Lucic as well for the remainder of his contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He is due $9 mill for the final 2 years, of which the Oilers are picking up less than 15% or something of it. So, still around $7.75 mill in real cash for what Lucic brings to the table.

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
They'll have to pay a heavy price to convince Seattle to take him. He's done as an NHL player. The game has passed him by.

Not saying he will be picked up by Seattle but he is currently tied for #182 points-wise for all forwards in the NHL and tied #169 for all forwards in the NHL in goals.

By these standards as well as his play this season.. Those are almost Top 6 stats this season.

As a Flames fan, this season sucked. However, Lucic has been a bright spot.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not saying he will be picked up by Seattle but he is currently tied for #182 points-wise for all forwards in the NHL and tied #169 for all forwards in the NHL in goals.

By these standards as well as his play this season.. Those are almost Top 6 stats this season.

As a Flames fan, this season sucked. However, Lucic has been a bright spot.

Um... no they aren’t... in fact, by definition, he is at best a bad third liner by goals and a clear-cut fourth liner by points.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Pretty good? Compared to what? He's a borderline 12th/13th forward making 2ndline money. If he were making league min he'd be out of the league altogether.
I can name several worse forwards just on the Calgary Flames. (Maybe not worse contract value)

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I know it's the cool thing to do to bash on Lucic but from the game I've seen this year he is a pretty damn good third liner and I would gladly take this Lucic instead of James Neal.

Reactions: LeHab

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Probably not a popular opinion but I've seen a fair amount of Calgary games this year and Lucic has looked pretty good/impactful in most of them. Seems like a Sutter pet but does some good things out there.

as a fan of a division rival that hates Lucic for the lack of effort he put in as an Oiler... yeah, Lucic's been fine for them this year. Not great, not awful, but... fine.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Lucic isn't going anywhere. Sure he's overpaid 2.5M-3M but no reason to give up significant assets for it.

If he was making 2 or 2.5 million I'd be happy with him on the team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's been a good soldier this year. Had a rough start but shook off the rust and was a good 3rd liner afterwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad