Value of: Lucic at 50% + 8th overall pick

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Goldobin is not effective in a bottom 6 role. He either plays top 6 or doesn't play. Mid-way into the season he was on pace for 50 points. Im going to assume he could probably hit that total with McDavid. How much have you seen Goldobin play (genuinely curious)?

Hutton could play his off-wing.

I just don't see anyone other than a rebuilding team taking on Lucic's contract. There is only a handful of teams that would be willing to take on Lucic and have the cap space to do so. I just don't see anyone giving up more than a late draft pick and/or a mid-tier prospect for that package. I offered 4.5 million in cap space (25% v 50% retention), a top 4 defenseman who recently had a great resurgent year with the Canucks, and potential top 6 winger (former 1st rounder that has to improve his play without the puck). This allows you to move another defenseman like Sekera (5.5million) out. That's 10 million in cap space less Hutton and Goldobins contracts.

You'd be giving a division rival a chance at a good player, not actually giving up a good player. That player could end up being a Yakupov or a Reinhart just as much as he could be a Pettersson. Draft picks are, for the most part, unknown commodities.

Plenty. Goldobin is Drouin ultra-lite. Useless if he’s not scoring and doesn’t like even the thought of contact. He’s not very good and neither is Hutton - and that’s playing on his natural side. No desire for either player and definitely not for a top ten pick. Again, buying out Lucic looks like the more appealing option.

Moving Sekera won’t be easy, we can’t just assume that we’d be able to move him. It’s also a little funny that your proposed deal ends up likely costing us in cap space rather than saving it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Keep your 8th OV and don’t retain a cent on Lucic.

I’ll take Lucic @ 100% + 2020 First for Kevin Shattenkirk + 2019 1st round pick (TBay) or 2019 2nd Round Pick (NYR)

I would do this . Even if Shattenkirk don't want to waive for Edmonton we can trade him else where .

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Edmonton has 4 prospect goalies between the ages of 20 and 24. And we just used a 2nd on Rodrigue last year. Primeau is just not that enticing to us because we’re swimming in prospect goalies, and if you did think he was some kind of surefire elite starter you wouldn’t be offering him. Don’t oversell your prospect.
That wasn't me. Wasn't trying to sell Primeau. We are not moving him. Especially for a lug like Lucic. It would be foolish trade.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know lucid personally, but as a hockey fan, I would like him gone. Beer league sounds good.

So basically, that 8th is worth a very good prospect or young 3rd line NHLer.....with limited upside.

We are all fans and our players are worth twice what the others will pay. An 8th rounder in a deep draft is "probably" a top 6, top 4, but still a risk. Then add a hockey black hole, you get back a proven, known, youngish 3rd liner.

On the Habs, Lehky? Armia?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lucic and a 2nd rd pick for Zach Smith seems like a trade that would benefit both teams.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lucic and a 2nd rd pick for Zach Smith seems like a trade that would benefit both teams.

How? There's a lot more money on Lucic's deal. NHL organizations aren't going to take on millions of dollars for a low odds lottery ticket. Much less an AHL team with an owner like Melnyk.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How? There's a lot more money on Lucic's deal. NHL organizations aren't going to take on millions of dollars for a low odds lottery ticket. Much less an AHL team with an owner like Melnyk.

Bobby Ryan says hello. Nobody wants to play in Ottawa right now. Who would sign as a UFA? There's no chance to win. At least with Ryan, Lucic, and the ghost of Gaborik's salary, and Mac Arthur's for LTIR, the Sens can hit the floor. And Smith has been waived, they traded his closest friends on the team, Edmonton would at least be an opportunity for him, as a defensive leader.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Bobby Ryan says hello. Nobody wants to play in Ottawa right now. Who would sign as a UFA? There's no chance to win. At least with Ryan, Lucic, and the ghost of Gaborik's salary, and Mac Arthur's for LTIR, the Sens can hit the floor. And Smith has been waived, they traded his closest friends on the team, Edmonton would at least be an opportunity for him, as a defensive leader.

Umm they got Ryan, a very promising player at the time in 2013-14 and paid a 1st, Silf, and Noesen. And signed him to his now terrible deal. No team would go out and try and acquire that contract now, nor would the Sens go and try and get a Lucic for a mere 2nd. It doesn't make financial sense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Umm they got Ryan, a very promising player at the time in 2013-14 and paid a 1st, Silf, and Noesen. And signed him to his now terrible deal. No team would go out and try and acquire that contract now, nor would the Sens go and try and get a Lucic for a mere 2nd. It doesn't make financial sense.

You shed two years of Smith's salary which is half of Lucic's. Getting a high 2nd rd pick for the swap of salaries. Lucic makes less than his cap hit after next year, which if you are ultra cheap and want to pay less actual dollars than the floor of the cap, is a good investment. I can't see anybody taking Lucic's salary otherwise, if you retain 50% you are in the same situation as buying him out, costing long term cap space. No way around all the bad salaries in Edmonton. Maybe they throw another prospect in with that 2nd, but Jesus I can't see anybody wanting Lucic. Except Ottawa to get to the cap floor.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
End of day Lucic is a deterrent to the team. Why weaken the team why removing 6 million of caproom? Doesn't make sense. Sounds like you are under rating Primeau and over rating the pick. It is a bad move

We don't need Primeau. Price is 31, not 36. I don't believe Lucic is deterrent to the team and I want the 8th OA pick. It gives us the 8th and 15th pick to add two more grade A assets that will help us more than Primeau. Lucic? Who cares. We are taking advantage of our cap space.

If you feel we can sign a impact UFA, I would agree with you but we don't have good history with this. What's your plans with the cap space?

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
That’s interesting. I don’t like not having a first but Severson would slot in nicely with Nurse on the 2nd pairing.

I think it would benefit both teams greatly. Sevs is a perfect second pair mobile offensive dman. If he is partnered with a defensive rock like Nurse then he will be even better. The dude has a great shot and offensive game and if he is given freedom to be that offense first guy he will put up 10-30-40 Or more all day. Lucic could be a high priced 4th liner who keeps other teams honest. The devils will need someone to protect the kids (Hughes/Nico/Bratt/Smith). Plus we have a ton of cap space to eat the contract to get that 8th overall.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think it would benefit both teams greatly. Sevs is a perfect second pair mobile offensive dman. If he is partnered with a defensive rock like Nurse then he will be even better. The dude has a great shot and offensive game and if he is given freedom to be that offense first guy he will put up 10-30-40 Or more all day. Lucic could be a high priced 4th liner who keeps other teams honest. The devils will need someone to protect the kids (Hughes/Nico/Bratt/Smith). Plus we have a ton of cap space to eat the contract to get that 8th overall.

that idea is part of another part of nhl lore. more like the decades of the 90's and 2000's.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why would we retain 3m for the next 4 years AND throw a 8th overall pick in the trash for only 3m of cap relief?

That would be beyond stupid, like Chia level bad.
Totally!
What's 3M when the salary cap is going up to 83-84M next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad