Value of: Lucic at 50% + 8th overall pick

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Taking Manning won’t have much value to us. We get a million in cap relief by leaving him buried.

IMO the Oilers would entertain Lucic at full pop + 8 but they’d need to get something useful or a late first back.
many thanks for your response.

peace.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
NO it's not.

A guy can accept to be tarded to another team (therefore WAIVE his NMC) in the case were the receiving team agrees to give him a new one.

Therefore, unless receiving team AGREES to hand Lucic a new NMC when moving, he'll reject ANY trade involving him. He may be hated in EDM, but it's still WAY better to be hated in EDM travellign 5stars vs being hated in Belleville (sens affiliate) AND riding the bus.

You don't have to convince me, I'm just saying a team will be more likely to make the trade if Lucic rids his contract of his NMC, especially for 2021 season --- for the awesome expansion draft.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
I think if I was the oilers I’d rather keep the 8th and trade Poolparty in its place because he’s developing the way they thought he would. Fresh start for the both of them wouldn’t hurt.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If this trade happened, it means you could expose him in an expansion draft since he already waived his NMC, FWIW.

This is not true . He would still need to be protected . The only way a NTC/NMC is void is if they are traded before one goes into effect .

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think if I was the oilers I’d rather keep the 8th and trade Poolparty in its place because he’s developing the way they thought he would. Fresh start for the both of them wouldn’t hurt.

I think he’s probably available, but I think we’d be better off keeping him and trying to get his value up.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
For the deal to be accepted, the NMC would have to be waived altogether.

Jesus how the hell did Lucic and Russell get NMC's?

Russell got a NTC for the 1st 2 years which have come and gone . He now has to submit a list of 10 teams he can be trade to . The 10 team list means nothing as he can look at teams and pick ones that wouldn't want him .

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You don't have to convince me, I'm just saying a team will be more likely to make the trade if Lucic rids his contract of his NMC, especially for 2021 season --- for the awesome expansion draft.

aYah. but Lucic won't waive it, it's just impossible. The guy knows WAY too much if he ddoes, he ends up in the A

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Throwing away a top 10 pick just to unload 3M, and retaining 3M for another 4 years.

They'll have to deal with him for one more season then its lockout and either compliance buyout or LTIR.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'll take on 100% of Lucic's contract with the 8th OA pick and offer you Primeau from the Habs. If you want more we can talk but I'm not offering anymore more than a grade B asset. Maybe Primeau and a Ikonen type

Would the Oilers value a goalie prospect like Primeau? Habs can spare him cause I think Price is going to be effective for at least another 5 years.

Oilers get to unload Lucic, lose the 8th OA pick but gain a top goalie prospect in Primeau. Hit me with the likes or dislikes
No way I would do that trade. Primeau is going to be a stud and Lucic contract is terrible.

I would offer Oilers to take Lucic at 50% retain their 2nd and Poolparty for a B prospect.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't spend much time up in the trade boards, so I'm not thoroughly sick of these threads already. I'd kick around the idea of Lucic@50%, 8ov and a 2020 2nd for 14ov (AZ) and D Kevin Connauton.

Edmonton dumps Lucic at 50% ($3M cap), costs them a second next year and six spots this year. Also get a useful, but not particularly great defenseman on an expiring deal. Just a body to move for a contract slot.

Could maybe include Fischer for Poolparty as change of scenery for all parties involved if Edmonton wants a different mix.

Maybe Goligoski for Lucic@50%, 8ov and F.Berglund or a 2020 second.

I don't think Lucic has value, even at 50%. I don't think teams want him for four years at $3M hit. There are just better ways to spend that money and devote that cap for four years. But it is at least palatable for teams that have space, especially because the cash is less than the hit. It's negative, but becomes pretty easy to incentivize.

If EDM fans are of a mind that he has actual positive value at 50%, then my ideas are nonstarters, and we're never going to get anywhere.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Keep your 8th OV and don’t retain a cent on Lucic.

I’ll take Lucic @ 100% + 2020 First for Kevin Shattenkirk + 2019 1st round pick (TBay) or 2019 2nd Round Pick (NYR)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
That's quite reasonable, even though I'm not a huge Toffoli fan.

LA is certainly one of the few teams we can guarantee Looch would waive for.

I was thinking of another deal with LA though, not sure what Kings fans would think of this...

To LAK: Looch (1 mil retained), 8th OA

To EDM: Carter

I do realize Carter threatened to retire if he was traded - partially due to his front loaded contract being light in actual salary now - he still makes 3 million next year. I'd pitch to him a chance to play with Connor and Drai next year before he retires. In a worst case scenario, Carter simply retires and we cleared 5 mil in space.

For the Kings, it's roughly even money (cap-wise), but an extra year of term and a downgrade in on ice product..... but an additional top 10 pick. No doubt the Kings got screwed in the lottery, but if they can land Byram with their pick, one of Dach/Cozens/Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs with our pick, then package 33+Leafs pick to get up to 15 and land someone like Suzuki, that would be a helluva draft.

Answering the Two Most Important Jeff Carter Questions

After taking a few questions regarding his training and production this season, we served up the elephant in the room – what about his future in LA and all of this retirement talk?

“I’m 20 games from 1,000, so I don’t think I’m retiring,” said the two-time Stanley Cup champion. “I have three years left on my contract. I want to be an LA King. I want to help change things around here, but I don’t have no-trade protection so whatever happens, happens.”

Then, just as we were about to move on, with a very serious facial expression and a near death stare back, Carter added, “And I never talked about retiring either. That never came out of my mouth.”

It's an interesting idea for LA to try and pick up another high pick at the expense of cap space / on ice product. I'm not so certain that looch waives for a crappy LA team though. Also it gets complicated with expansion slots and recapture on Carts if he does retire (perhaps he'd find the media scrutiny too much there). Toffoli possibly makes more sense for the oil and LA, giving the oil more cap flexibility and minimizing LAs recapture risk. Yet TT is probably worth more than Carts at present.

BTW my quote isn't trying to yell at anyone, I still can't figure out how to insert quotes

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Well I was thinking

Lucic at 50% and 2019 8th OA

for

2021 1st OA (T3P) +2023 2nd + DiPietro

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is not true . He would still need to be protected . The only way a NTC/NMC is void is if they are traded before one goes into effect .

You can do two things.

1) If he does waive his NMC in a trade, the team picking him up can ask for an agreement that he would waive his NMC for the expansion draft. Lucic shouldn't have a issue with this cause what are the chances he is taken? If you don't trust him or he says no, move to option 2 down the road

2) You buy him out before the expansion draft. Cap hits from 21/22 season and forward are $4.08M, $5.58M, $583k, $583k (compared to two seasons with a cap hit of $6M if you don't buy him out). This avoids the NMC issue.

Considering that option 1 is risky and option 2 is a lateral move in terms of cap hits (+/-), option 2 is what you do.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You act like the 8th OA pick is like meh.
It certainly not worth taking on Lucic at 100% salary and Primeau. Not only is Lucic a negative value, his 6 million is a top free agent we can't sign. So, we are losing a top free agent, Primeau and paying 24 million to a player who is worst than Weise?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It certainly not worth taking on Lucic at 100% salary and Primeau. Not only is Lucic a negative value, his 6 million is a top free agent we can't sign. So, we are losing a top free agent, Primeau and paying 24 million to a player who is worst than Weise?

I don't care about Lucic and his cap hit if the Habs continue to not use our cap space anyways. I like Primeau just as much if not more than you do but we have Price and Primeau can be spared. Price is 31, not 36.

The 8th OA pick is worth it IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad