Value of: Lucic at 50% + 8th overall pick

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
You might get a rebuilding team to take that. But I wouldn't expect more than an early 2nd and a middling prospect. 4 years is a long time.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You might get a rebuilding team to take that. But I wouldn't expect more than an early 2nd and a middling prospect. 4 years is a long time.

If this trade happened, it means you could expose him in an expansion draft since he already waived his NMC, FWIW.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I can't imagine it being turned down by all teams. Someone out there will take him for a top 10 pick. I just wouldn't expect much in return.

Reactions: Nucks2477

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why would we retain 3m for the next 4 years AND throw a 8th overall pick in the trash for only 3m of cap relief?

That would be beyond stupid, like Chia level bad.

Would you trade the 8th with lucic if you didn't retain a cent, but only got back a late 2nd?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If this trade happened, it means you could expose him in an expansion draft since he already waived his NMC, FWIW.
Not true at all...

Fact is, if e waives for a trade, he will ask the receiving team in ANY DEAL to honor his NMC (keep it as is).

Therefore he'd still need to be protected. Lcic won't take the risk of being sent down to the AHL as soon as he gets traded.

Reactions: gunnergunther

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not true at all...

Fact is, if e waives for a trade, he will ask the receiving team in ANY DEAL to honor his NMC (keep it as is).

Therefore he'd still need to be protected. Lcic won't take the risk of being sent down to the AHL as soon as he gets traded.

Is that true? I know he was dealt before it kicked in, but Subban's NMC wasn't honoured by Nashville.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I think the Oilers would be best served to keep the 8th overall pick. As poor as Lucic has been it's not like a FA they could sign for 3M would be a huge upgrade on what Lucic produces. A 3M AAV typically gets you a UFA like Eaves, Beagle, Roussell, Foligno, Cogalino, Ryan etc. Those are players that are bottom 6 forwards but would not likely move the needle that much for Edmonton and would not help them address their lack of scoring depth.

If I were the Oilers I'd take whoever the team felt the best forward was and let the player develop for a year or 2. Going for a quick fix and attaching #8 to just to move Lucic will just compound the Oilers problems, as they need scoring depth and the best way to accumulate that is through the draft. The next GM needs to be patient and let the team develop it's depth internally. I think next season with Benson & Yamamoto up front, plus Bouchard and Jones on the back end the team should start to turn their scoring woes around.

That being said, if this was offered around the league I would hope the Wings jump on it. I'd offer any of our 2nds for the deal, maybe even something like #35+the lowest 2nd of of the NYI/SJ or our own 3rd. If we really needed to we could just send Lucic down to the AHL and he'd only be around 2.1M in dead cap space. For the record I think I'd also do Lucic (no retention) + 8th overall pick for Wings 3rd as well.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i wouldn't do it but i bet Fenton would give you zucker for that. i mean he's bragged about cap space so might as well :(

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Is that true? I know he was dealt before it kicked in, but Subban's NMC wasn't honoured by Nashville.

The new team can choose to honour a NMC after a trade, but in every instance where a player with a NMC has waived it as part of a trade, it was conditional on the acquiring team offering it to him there. Lucic isn't waiving his NMC without being certain a new team will give it to him.

Subban was traded before his NMC kicked in. He had now way to compel Nashville to honour it.

Reactions: svat

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Why would we retain 3m for the next 4 years AND throw a 8th overall pick in the trash for only 3m of cap relief?

That would be beyond stupid, like Chia level bad.

Milan Lucic is the counterpoint to the Sunken Cost fallacy

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Trading away a top ten pick for a few million of relief is not a good idea.

If you hit on that pick you could easily get way more monetary value out of the difference between an ELC contract and buying comparable production on the market as compared to 3M in relief for those years.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Because he was traded BEFORE his NMC kicked in, Therefore, the reeiving team doesn't have to honour it.

Lucic will talk w/ his agent and make sure ANY deal where he's a part of will have some kind of clause where he stays @ NHL lvl, he won't go ride the bus in the AHL that's for sure

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If the Oilers retain AND add the 8OA.. saying a 2nd for a return is pretty foolish. Lucic can play, he just isn't worth the cap hit anymore.

There are no trades I can think of that packaged a top 10 pick with a retained salary that brought back so little. Like. None.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3