Value of: Lucic at 50% + 8th overall pick

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Obviously you didn’t bother to read through the thread first. Lucic at 50% + 8th overall has significant value.
the value of what you are saying is not really enuf to entice someone to take Lucic off your hands.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
What a terrible idea The Oilers absolutely should not trade away their first round draft pick just to get 3 million in cap relief. Their cap situation is nowhere near as dire as some make it out to be anyway. I would rather buy him out than do that and I don't see any pressing need to do either. McDavid and Draisatl are not going to turn into pumpkins if we still have Looch's contract at midnight.

Reactions: TFHockey

IB

Aug 20, 2009
How much of a market is there for Milan Lucic at 3 million for 4 more years + the 8th overall pick in the 2019 draft?

Add Puljujarvi

for second + prospect from Carolina

Dundon seems like the type that would make this happen.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The Oilers are better off living with Lucic and taking the best player available at #8.

At worst, you're only wasting ~$3M in cap compared to what you would pay a similarly productive player to fill his spot. If you're not going to spend that difference on a FA, then why the hell do you want to clear salary in the first place?

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers are better off living with Lucic and taking the best player available at #8.

At worst, you're only wasting ~$3M in cap compared to what you would pay a similarly productive player to fill his spot. If you're not going to spend that difference on a FA, then why the hell do you want to clear salary in the first place?

Absolutely. 3 mil in cap relief isn’t much when you’re giving up what should be a damned good player at 8.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

i hate to disappoint you, the team will need maneuverability in the coming yrs. while at the same time fix the club where additions can be done. granted maybe some of those addition will be little compared to what others may want.

now think about it, pay now, for at a later date the team will be in a better position to really improve the team.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
i hate to disappoint you, the team will need maneuverability in the coming yrs. while at the same time fix the club where additions can be done. granted maybe some of those addition will be little compared to what others may want.

now think about it, pay now, for at a later date the team will be in a better position to really improve the team.

Right, and once you get speed you'll be clamoring for another big bastard to jostle near the net. You need all sorts and one should not come at the expense of another just to fill out to some ideal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

3 million in cap space is absolutely nothing. Certainly not worth giving up 8th overall and getting garbage back.

I’d rather buy out Lucic and deal with the dead cap but still have 8th.

Reactions: LDF

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't care about Lucic and his cap hit if the Habs continue to not use our cap space anyways. I like Primeau just as much if not more than you do but we have Price and Primeau can be spared. Price is 31, not 36.

The 8th OA pick is worth it IMO.
End of day Lucic is a deterrent to the team. Why weaken the team why removing 6 million of caproom? Doesn't make sense. Sounds like you are under rating Primeau and over rating the pick. It is a bad move

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
3 million in cap space is absolutely nothing. Certainly not worth giving up 8th overall and getting garbage back.

I’d rather buy out Lucic and deal with the dead cap but still have 8th.

ref the bold, this i didn't know was part of the proposal. my bad, i should learn to read better.

i will be back with my outrageous proposal. :cool:

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
I'll bite

Goldobin, Hutton for Lucic (25% retained) and 8th OA.

You get Goldobin to slot into the top 6 and Hutton to play top 4 minutes. You could probably then get rid of one of your other more expensive dman and use the combined cap space to go after a UFA to shore up your top two lines.

We'll keep Lucic (4.5m) to play on our 4th line and try to move out Sutter (4.5m) who is replaced by Gaudette (ELC). We'll move Lucic when we need additional cap space to sign Hughes, Juolevi, Pettersson.

Canucks end up with 2 top 10 picks. Edmonton saves much needed cap space to go after a UFA and get two young players who can play at the NHL level.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
End of day Lucic is a deterrent to the team. Why weaken the team why removing 6 million of caproom? Doesn't make sense. Sounds like you are under rating Primeau and over rating the pick. It is a bad move

Edmonton has 4 prospect goalies between the ages of 20 and 24. And we just used a 2nd on Rodrigue last year. Primeau is just not that enticing to us because we’re swimming in prospect goalies, and if you did think he was some kind of surefire elite starter you wouldn’t be offering him. Don’t oversell your prospect.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll bite

Goldobin, Hutton for Lucic (25% retained) and 8th OA.

You get Goldobin to slot into the top 6 and Hutton to play top 4 minutes. You could probably then get rid of one of your other more expensive dman and use the combined cap space to go after a UFA to shore up your top two lines.

We'll keep Lucic (4.5m) to play on our 4th line and try to move out Sutter (4.5m) who is replaced by Gaudette (ELC). We'll move Lucic when we need additional cap space to sign Hughes, Juolevi, Pettersson.

Canucks end up with 2 top 10 picks. Edmonton saves much needed cap space to go after a UFA and get two young players who can play at the NHL level.

Goldobin has no business in an NHL top 6 and who exactly of Klefbom or Nurse do you think Hutton is beating out for top 4 minutes?

Easy pass. No interest in handing a division rival a top ten pick for spare parts.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Edmonton should entertain trading the 8th overall pick. They need all the picks they can get.

Lucic is a PWF. They tend to break down as they age. Wouldn't surprise me to see if be "injured" and LTIR'ed taking care of that problem...or if not, you can always try to get Seattle to take him.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Goldobin has no business in an NHL top 6 and who exactly of Klefbom or Nurse do you think Hutton is beating out for top 4 minutes?

Easy pass. No interest in handing a division rival a top ten pick for spare parts.
Goldobin is not effective in a bottom 6 role. He either plays top 6 or doesn't play. Mid-way into the season he was on pace for 50 points. Im going to assume he could probably hit that total with McDavid. How much have you seen Goldobin play (genuinely curious)?

Hutton could play his off-wing.

I just don't see anyone other than a rebuilding team taking on Lucic's contract. There is only a handful of teams that would be willing to take on Lucic and have the cap space to do so. I just don't see anyone giving up more than a late draft pick and/or a mid-tier prospect for that package. I offered 4.5 million in cap space (25% v 50% retention), a top 4 defenseman who recently had a great resurgent year with the Canucks, and potential top 6 winger (former 1st rounder that has to improve his play without the puck). This allows you to move another defenseman like Sekera (5.5million) out. That's 10 million in cap space less Hutton and Goldobins contracts.

You'd be giving a division rival a chance at a good player, not actually giving up a good player. That player could end up being a Yakupov or a Reinhart just as much as he could be a Pettersson. Draft picks are, for the most part, unknown commodities.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00