Lowest hockey IQ players in the NHL

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
As far as defensive hockey IQ goes it’s gotta be Morgan Rielly. People complain about guys like Burns and Karlsson but they are nothing compared to the dumpster fire that is Rielly.
You’ve got to be f***ing kidding me! Rielly played a bad game against your juggernut team and suddenly he’s got low hockey IQ?? At least make arguments in your opinion...

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Sam Bennett. Prove me wrong. Never watched a player with such low hockey IQ. He is a good third liner who can play physical and forecheck but his passing and decision making is very bad.

Who are some players who have low hockey IQ?
I agree with Samuel. I would also add Brad Treliving.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Honestly I was surprised I didn't see more Jack Johnson mentions in this thread before your post.

Brendan Smith might be stealing his thunder here because he is the poor man's Jack Johnson.

I’m surprised Jack Johnson has lasted this long. Has he ever finished a season even or plus? He is a dumbstir Fire.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba makes more mistakes than yer average player, but he also does great things on the ice that most players can only dream about. Perhaps idiot savant would be more accurate.

He is an above average skater, has an above average offensive IQ, good physicality, an above average wrister, a brilliant slapper, and is money on the PP.

Yeah, he makes mistakes on line rushes and loses his defensive positioning due to over enthusiasm at times.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
Kassian doesn’t even know what IQ is
He's come a long way since Montreal, he's proving to be capable and a good fit on a thus far undefeated teams first line. People seem to forget that he wasn't always the plug that they see him as today, he excelled in the OHL 63 pts in 61 games. He played well on the top line in the world juniors with Hall, a point a game player. His personal life interfered with his early NHL career and when Edmonton gave him his last shot he took it as it was and worked hard on his game. In short, Kassian is FAR from a low IQ player.

My vote for lowest IQ in the league has to go to Jujar Khaira.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dumba makes more mistakes than yer average player, but he also does great things on the ice that most players can only dream about. Perhaps idiot savant would be more accurate.

He is an above average skater, has an above average offensive IQ, good physicality, an above average wrister, a brilliant slapper, and is money on the PP.

Yeah, he makes mistakes on line rushes and loses his defensive positioning due to over enthusiasm at times.
Kevin Fiala.... all the skill in the world, no sense at all.

Reactions: 57special

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
From the players who I watch more or less regularly, it’s Tyson Jost. Sometimes it seems that he doesn’t even know the rules of the game. His passes are almost always intercepted, moves and shots are way too predictable. The only ways for him to be effective are to hustle in simple north-south type of game or stay in front of the net. To sum up, I wish he could become Sam Bennett for Avs.

PS. it could be that his play has nothing to do with hockey IQ - just low self-confidence for young player and permanent tilt.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Really? I think I've counted 6 different Leafs in this thread. Apparently they are the dumbest team in the league. Rielly had a bad game, we get it. Highlight reel a game if hyperbole of the highest level.
Rielly? Lol. You don’t get 72 points as a d man without a high hockey iq there junior

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
He's come a long way since Montreal, he's proving to be capable and a good fit on a thus far undefeated teams first line. People seem to forget that he wasn't always the plug that they see him as today, he excelled in the OHL 63 pts in 61 games. He played well on the top line in the world juniors with Hall, a point a game player. His personal life interfered with his early NHL career and when Edmonton gave him his last shot he took it as it was and worked hard on his game. In short, Kassian is FAR from a low IQ player.

My vote for lowest IQ in the league has to go to Jujar Khaira.

I agree that Kassian is far from a low IQ player but that break away pass last night was pretty dumb.

Khaira is Lucic 2.0 to me, time to move on.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Nah, his hockey IQ has always been very poor. Letang has the best tools in the game with no box. Despite his IQ he's had tremendous success... Scary.
Aka I don’t like the pens, or any of their players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad