Lowest hockey IQ players in the NHL

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Isn't Paajarvi actually competent defensively?
I haven't followed him in years but I would assume he's got to at least be decent defensively or he would have fizzled out by now. His zone starts and qualcomp indicate that he's been used as a defensive forward. It's certainly not his offense keeping him in league.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Effective at what? Elite skater and it ends there.

5 games played and has 1 assist along with a MINUS 6. Yikes.
He did have 44 points in his first full season last year. Are you really using a 5 game sample instead of that? He's not a great player and he was definitely overvalued this offseason but he's an effective NHL player.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He did have 44 points in his first full season last year. Are you really using a 5 game sample instead of that? He's not a great player and he was definitely overvalued this offseason but he's an effective NHL player.
Look who he played with last year. Any of us would have 44 points in the Leafs top 6. LOL

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Agreed 100%. Guy has a highlight reel against him every game.

Rielly
Laine
Hall
Hagg
Letang
Burns
Gusev
Hughes ( I don't expect this to be a norm)
Risto

Really? I think I've counted 6 different Leafs in this thread. Apparently they are the dumbest team in the league. Rielly had a bad game, we get it. Highlight reel a game if hyperbole of the highest level.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
There is just absolutely no way Letang can be the dumbest player in the league with his stats.

He's not the dumbest, I was exaggerating. But he has made a ton of boneheaded plays in big games throughout his career (especially taking bad penalties) that have earned him the reputation of a poor decision-maker. He is, however, phenomenally talented and physically gifted, which enables him to make big plays that most other d-men can't. That pretty much makes up for it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Look who he played with last year. Any of us would have 44 points in the Leafs top 6. LOL
He played with Matthews and Marleau or Kadri (when Matthews was out) and Marleau for most of the season. Sure, playing with Matthews is nice but 39 year old Marleau and his 37 points and Kadri and his 44 points didn't exactly inflate Kapanen's numbers. He also rarely ever played on the PP so almost all of his points were ES. I don't think he's all that great but I do think he's an decent middle 6 forward and I just thought it was a little disingenuous for you to only point out his numbers during the first week of the season and ignore everything else.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Benoit Pouliot is out of the NHL but he's the perfect example. That guy had it all: shot, skating, speed, hands, athleticism, size. Absolutely zero hockey sense.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Nurse isn't the dumbest in the league, but it's frustrating how much his below average hockey IQ limits him.

If he had above average passing and hockey IQ combined with his physical talents he would be a force of a #1 defenceman. Instead he's a 2/3 tweener at best with some limitations.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
one thing I have learned about hockey IQ is that unless you know what the coach has told him to do or strategy that is in place--you will not have the complete picture of what is going on

a few years ago I sat with a guy who worked as an NHL scout and he filled me in on some of the different things he looks for when watching a play. If he knows the coaching style of the coach--he can see if a player is or isnt buying into his system. One reason why you will often see an increase of scouts at a game after a coach has been fired--may not be because the team is looking for a trade but scouts are looking to see if the players are using the new coaches system and how quickly the adapt to it

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Have to agree with other Kings posters that it's the guy in my avatar. If only hockey IQ correlated with flow, then Kempe would be unstoppable.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Risto and Scandella both have negative IQ numbers. Risto incapable of seeing across the ice or taking an easy pass, and Scandella for always winding up a clapper from anywhere

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of people bringing up Brendan Smith, and they're not wrong, but it's funny because he's not our dumbest defenseman.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
If Yakupov was still active he'd be my vote. The best description I ever read about him was he plays hockey like he's being chased by a swarm of bees.

Reactions: IlikeEich

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Needs to be way more Jake Gardiner

Absolute moron with and without the puck

Guys clueless

Great skater though

Jun 27, 2005
The answer would have been Phaneuf but he might have retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad