Post-Game Talk: lower case

3 stars

• Total voters

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Mikkola - doesn't suck? I was not a fan of this guy when he showed up, but he is proving me wrong. Might be a stud when he returns to bottom pair.

He's very solid positionally on defense, but he's an abomination when he has the puck on his stick.

Playing him with Fox was a major overextension of his abilities, I think he will be more palatable on the 3rd

Reactions: bhamill and bl02

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Drury has really handicapped this hockey team….

We have zero forward depth-, someone goes down who do we bring in Jonny Brodz?
Same f***ing shit as last year

Right now - We have no defenseman depth either .

This is a thin squad
You're the guy who thought McDonagh was done when the Rangers traded him and are still foolishly bragging about that opinion.
Or you could just keep the 7th D who knows how you want to play rather than worrying about finding another moving part 7th D. Lindgren healthy means neither play.

And yes. I watched the game. Mid of the 2nd... when the Caps spent 25% of the rest of the game up a man? Might have something to do with "bad defense." But be pissed off about a game management close score asskicking. If you wached the game, even the broadcasters were talking about the Rangers being effectively locked into their spot. Meanwhile, they are playing teams either fighting for their last-gasp chance to make it in, or a team full of players playing for their NHL lives in an otherwise lost season.

They won, they looked utterly dominant until game management, and still a battery of you bitching like they are 10 points out and trying to scrap to get in.
Whether they win, lose, play well, or play poorly, there are are 5-10 posters that will tell us that the Rangers are shit.

If only they were the decision makers. Ah, what could be.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I think the problem was the broadcast.

It felts like a exhibition game with nothing at stake. I really do not like ESPN broadcasts.
I for one think Messier is boring as hell and yes, I am old enough to remember his first stint here.

Reactions: Fitzy

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Mikkola - doesn't suck? I was not a fan of this guy when he showed up, but he is proving me wrong. Might be a stud when he returns to bottom pair.
He's a really good #6. The last few games have been a mixed bag (mostly a horrible mixed bag) because he has been paired with Fox. He's way out of his comfort zone. When Lindgren returns, the D looks so much better.

Reactions: egelband

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Zibanejad shooting the puck was a plus. Kane on the PP making adjustments was a plus. Shesterkin was a plus. And Trouba has strung quite a few good games together. Now we need fox back.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
How many teams have players in the minors or black aces that constitute "great depth". If you are talking about moving 4th or 3rd liners to top 6 in case someone goes down, I can see the case that the kids kind of suck, but I am unsure if that is Drury's fault.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know how I and others always crow about finding the next darling role player instead of overpaying for him after he wins a Cup?

We did it.

Jimmy Vesey just walked in out of f***ing nowhere the best 4th liner in the league.

And we already extended him.

I think when he gets to showcase his speed, IQ, and shutdown defense in the playoffs, other people will be saying "how can we get a Vesey?"

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
You know how I and others always crow about finding the next darling role player instead of overpaying for him after he wins a Cup?

We did it.

Jimmy Vesey just walked in out of f***ing nowhere the best 4th liner in the league.

And we already extended him.

I think when he gets to showcase his speed, IQ, and shutdown defense in the playoffs, other people will be saying "how can we get a Vesey?"
It really is unbelievable he signed on for two more years after this at that cap hit. What a bargain

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The officiating is still infuriating. I don't care that it's gone on forever and that it will never change. I watch these games and I know exactly what is going to be called and on what team depending on the score and situation. The only times the refs don't follow the script is when something is so blatant they have to make the call.
Bettman; The Rangers were already winning 4-1, so WHY did you make that call?

Ref; I HAD TO, Wilson nearly decapitated Lindgren with his stick, I am sorry, I'll do better.

Bettman; Better not happen again, carry on.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
My critiques of Chytil have been showing since he's been on this cold streak stuck at 19 goals. His vision and playmaking are suspect. If he's not putting the puck in the net he leaves a lot to be desired. He has great pace and energy though... sometimes too much, where he's moving too fast for his body/brain to react appropriately.

Hasn't scored a goal since Feb. 8th.... 16 games.
When Chytil is on his game, he's looks like a budding offensive star. He's still moving around the ice well, but the games seem to be getting tighter and he doesn't have as much room.

I guess at the end of the day its a good thing for Drury. The goal pace slowing significantly will effect that next contract.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I think the problem was the broadcast.

It felts like a exhibition game with nothing at stake. I really do not like ESPN broadcasts.
Their audio and camera work is awful.

The center ice cam was too zoomed out all game. Like the camera operator was too lazy to pan up and down.
The audio always sounds like they're in a sound room (too muffled/no reverb at all) and the crowd noise is always way lower than it should be to capture the atmosphere of the game.
Add the constant cuts to show the bubble hockey, and it was all around a pretty terrible game.

Yup, I'll take shit TSS notices watching the game in surround sound for $500, Alex. Makes me miss the MSG broadcasts.

And I'm not even that much of a purist that I didn't really mind the FoxTrax shenanigans of the 90s, but the video game like circles under players and names over them is ridiculous...learning how to follow the names on the jerseys while listening to the commentary shouldn't be that hard of a concept it needs special graphics.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
When we did that poll on who we wanted to acquire......he was one of my choices. I knew we needed another defenseman, and felt he had some good offensive instincts. I was right. He does. He's made some very nice plays, and takes it deep often. Yeah, he was exposed when we only had 4, but wasn't the only one. He's okay in my book, but will say again, he reminds me of Marek, but with more offensive talent.

Reactions: egelband and fm

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He's very solid positionally on defense, but he's an abomination when he has the puck on his stick.

Playing him with Fox was a major overextension of his abilities, I think he will be more palatable on the 3rd.
It is and that is why getting Lindgren back is so crucial. It gives Fox his partner back, moves Mikkola back to 3rd pair where he should be, and makes Harpur watch the game from the stands.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zibanejad shooting the puck was a plus. Kane on the PP making adjustments was a plus. Shesterkin was a plus. And Trouba has strung quite a few good games together. Now we need fox back.
The kids, particularly Chytil and Kakko putting the puck in the net as well.

We've never had this team going anywhere close to 100%. That's what it will take to win. You look at Colorado and Tampa before them, nearly the entire team is clicking.

If this team even gets to 80% operational, we would win a cup.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
There really isn’t much to complain about, it was a good win, yeah the 3rd period got a little dicey, but they still got the job done. Patrick Kane has arrived, and Mika had a steak for lunch.
It’s almost like, when they play well, we don’t have to say much ? Amazing concept!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A win. Let’s find absolutely nothing positive in it, and CERTAINLY no happiness.
Boston lost to Buffalo. Dallas too. I heard these teams are withdrawing from upcoming playoffs per advise from their fanbase because these team obviously have no chnace now

Reactions: bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've never seen Fox make such bad decisions.

The thing that stands out for Kreider is how he played that 2 on 1 with Kane. In no mans land

Was covering air on the first GA too.

Hes been gliding all over the place and unwilling to seal off a wall or win a battle for a while, save the 3rd period against Pittsburgh where he did all of these things.

He and Chytil have been our biggest problems up front over the last few weeks. I think Chytil is just fighting it and am less worried about him. Kreider is banged up for sure but that doesn't excuse a lack of effort. Its been the norm with him for over a month now.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad