Post-Game Talk: lower case

3 stars

• Total voters

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Great game for the most part. The forwards are starting to gel. Glad to see the 3rd period vs. the Penguins carry over into this game.

They still need to tighten up on D in order to be successful in the playoffs.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Zibanejad shooting the puck was a plus. Kane on the PP making adjustments was a plus. Shesterkin was a plus. And Trouba has strung quite a few good games together. Now we need fox back.
For most of the season a lot of folks here were venomous towards Trouba.

We were told quite a few times that he was playing through some injury.

Looks like that was truth.

He's not an all-star, but he's an effin warrior and a good enough defenseman.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can say a lot of things when the team plays well. But people prefer to complain. Which is odd because where is the joy in bitching about something one has no control over.

Myself, I tend to post more after a win. I especially get excited when I see my favorite players do well or players I like have a great game.

Happy with the results, and Shesty giving up 3 goals didn't really concern me. He has looked much better as of late.

Also, Kane seems to be settling in, and that is a very good sign.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Mikkola - doesn't suck? I was not a fan of this guy when he showed up, but he is proving me wrong. Might be a stud when he returns to bottom pair.
I know a lot of people trash him, I think once he’s back to the 3rd pair and calms down a little bit he’ll be fine. He gets way too aggressive on the ice with Fox and then we have no one staying home.

Reactions: egelband and fm

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Braun has played more games here than Harpur? or around the same? I don't understand your logic. Braun > Harpur. Braun cheaper than Harpur. Braun can play both sides, like he did last season for us. You're wrong and I forgive you.

They didn't dominate until game management. They dominated until they got too loose and cute with it. SELF INFLICTED.

Braun played 8 regular season games with the Rangers and 19 playoff games. He scored 0 goals and had 3 assists. He's 36, would cost assets and cap space to acquire. He played on the Rangers when they had a significantly different roster: Strome, Copp, Vatrano, Rooney, Hunt, Reaves, and Nemeth are all gone. That's 7 of the other 21 skaters that played for the Rangers last season. It's not the same team, Braun is serviceable as a fine 7th who can play as a 6th in injury time but probably not one you want playing much more. Since December 1st, the guy has been averaging like 10 minutes a game on a shitty Flyers team with no defense.

He would be, at best, a very marginal upgrade over Harpur. One not worth the extra cap shenanigans since, again, if Lindgren is healthy, neither is seeing the ice. Your obsession with being "right" over a temporary injury replacement you are trying to make a whipping boy is pathetic, and I don't need your forgiveness.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
You can say a lot of things when the team plays well. But people prefer to complain. Which is odd because where is the joy in bitching about something one has no control over.
To me, that is the only thing worth bitching about. Because if you bitch about things you DO have control over, and don't change, then it makes you feel EVEN WORSE.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
You're the guy who thought McDonagh was done when the Rangers traded him and are still foolishly bragging about that opinion.

Whether they win, lose, play well, or play poorly, there are are 5-10 posters that will tell us that the Rangers are shit.

If only they were the decision makers. Ah, what could be.

What could be is we could have traded for a different 7th defenseman and made them the whipping boy instead!

Or we could have kept BOTH low 1st round picks, who are surefire NHL HoFers (until the team we root for "ruins" them like we "always" do), and waited for the Bruins to be bad before we have a legitimate chance to win! No wait, it was the Lightning. No... the Penguins! Nope... the Blackhawks! Nope again... the Kings! Yeah, that's the ticket. Keep waiting until only the Rangers are the "best" to go for it.

I've seen 1 Cup in my lifetime, and I've been here multiple decades. Enjoy the damn ride, enjoy the wins, realize it's a game, and move the hell on.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
What could be is we could have traded for a different 7th defenseman and made them the whipping boy instead!

Or we could have kept BOTH low 1st round picks, who are surefire NHL HoFers (until the team we root for "ruins" them like we "always" do), and waited for the Bruins to be bad before we have a legitimate chance to win! No wait, it was the Lightning. No... the Penguins! Nope... the Blackhawks! Nope again... the Kings! Yeah, that's the ticket. Keep waiting until only the Rangers are the "best" to go for it.

I've seen 1 Cup in my lifetime, and I've been here multiple decades. Enjoy the damn ride, enjoy the wins, realize it's a game, and move the hell on.
If that's good enough, then that's all we'll see.

A big reason the culture of the team changed in 1993-94 is because Messier and Keenan insisted that players talk about winning it all and accept nothing less.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
If that's good enough, then that's all we'll see.

A big reason the culture of the team changed in 1993-94 is because Messier and Keenan insisted that players talk about winning it all and accept nothing less.

I'm not a player, nor a part of the team. My enjoyment stems from watching them, particularly when they are one of the best teams in the league, winning regularly, have fun, exciting players to watch, and have a real chance at winning it all. Like, say, the last 2 seasons.

I'm not a part of the team culture and my opinions or personal preference to enjoy them winning has exactly zero bearing on the team mentality, effort, or desire to phone it in saying, "Well, you know, that dfence033 guy down in Dallas who cheers for us is happy we won a game. Maybe we should just be happy with that and mail in the playoffs!"

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
We still need a statement game. This wasn't it. At least we got a RW.
Why? Do you think teams that we potentially face in the playoffs are going to be impressed with a "statement game"? Intimidated even?
They need to figure out the lines that work best, get comfortable playing with each other and build confidence going into the playoffs. They're pretty much locked into the playoff spot they're currently in and frankly, the rest of the regular season doesn't mean much.

And most importantly, stay healthy.
The kids, particularly Chytil and Kakko putting the puck in the net as well.

We've never had this team going anywhere close to 100%. That's what it will take to win. You look at Colorado and Tampa before them, nearly the entire team is clicking.

If this team even gets to 80% operational, we would win a cup.
You make them sound like they're a jet engine or some kind of machine instead of a group of human beings.
For most of the season a lot of folks here were venomous towards Trouba.

We were told quite a few times that he was playing through some injury.

Looks like that was truth.

He's not an all-star, but he's an effin warrior and a good enough defenseman.
I'm a big fan of Troubs but on that power play goal against, he was covering his man well, but had his stick up against the man. The rebound dropped in front of him and since his stick was up he couldn't play it and the cap forward buried the rebound. Nit picky but he needs to have his stick in a position where he can play the puck quickly in front of his own net. Good game overall from him and KAM though.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Braun played 8 regular season games with the Rangers and 19 playoff games. He scored 0 goals and had 3 assists. He's 36, would cost assets and cap space to acquire. He played on the Rangers when they had a significantly different roster: Strome, Copp, Vatrano, Rooney, Hunt, Reaves, and Nemeth are all gone. That's 7 of the other 21 skaters that played for the Rangers last season. It's not the same team, Braun is serviceable as a fine 7th who can play as a 6th in injury time but probably not one you want playing much more. Since December 1st, the guy has been averaging like 10 minutes a game on a shitty Flyers team with no defense.

He would be, at best, a very marginal upgrade over Harpur. One not worth the extra cap shenanigans since, again, if Lindgren is healthy, neither is seeing the ice. Your obsession with being "right" over a temporary injury replacement you are trying to make a whipping boy is pathetic, and I don't need your forgiveness.
He would not be a marginal upgrade over Harpur IMO

HE can play both sides as well. I 100% rather have Braun in over Harpur if an injury was to occur in the playoffs. It's not even close in my mind. Who plays 3RD if one of the RHD gets hurt?

I don't get your point. We shouldn't have looked to upgrade Harpur? I don't see Harpur as an NHL talent. He's here mainly because he's big.

You make them sound like they're a jet engine or some kind of machine instead of a group of human beings.
It's simplified. We never have the team performing all at once. From Fox, Trouba and our defense. To Mika, Panarin, Kids, and our forwards. To special teams. To Igor.

If this team plays to it's capabilities it beats any other team that plays to it's full capabilities. That's the point I was trying to make. I think we have the greatest potential in the league right now. If that potential is realized is up to the players and coaching staff.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
Glimmers of greatness last night! Maybe the start of cohesion/permanent lines? It definitely was not perfect... but the point was that we have found ways to win/ get points in the last four games. That is important and reminds me of last year's club...

LGR!

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Drury has really handicapped this hockey team….

We have zero forward depth-, someone goes down who do we bring in Jonny Brodz?
Same f***ing shit as last year

Right now - We have no defenseman depth either .

This is a thin squad
This is a funny complaint that boils down to: The players that are NOT on the Rangers, are bad.

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
It's simplified. We never have the team performing all at once. From Fox, Trouba and our defense. To Mika, Panarin, Kids, and our forwards. To special teams. To Igor.

If this team plays to it's capabilities it beats any other team that plays to it's full capabilities. That's the point I was trying to make. I think we have the greatest potential in the league right now. If that potential is realized is up to the players and coaching staff.
I agree. But doesn't that describe every team? With the parity in the league, do you think that there's a team out there that's going to win the cup playing at 75%?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But yes I love Mark Messier as a Ranger, but I genuinely think if ESPN put me in the booth as a color commentator I could do a better job.

Reactions: will1066

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The officiating is still infuriating. I don't care that it's gone on forever and that it will never change. I watch these games and I know exactly what is going to be called and on what team depending on the score and situation. The only times the refs don't follow the script is when something is so blatant they have to make the call.
I too complain when it snows in winter...

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I agree. But doesn't that describe every team? With the parity in the league, do you think that there's a team out there that's going to win the cup playing at 75%?
Our highs are higher than anyone else’s and I think we could. I don’t think we’re anywhere close to our potential

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Caps were damn lucky Lindgren was out this game or we would have shut them out...

Yes, I know there's a vast skill difference between OV and Lindgren, but the overall point is just so nonsensical it needed to be done...
Lindgren would have helped, but he isn't scoring goals like Ovi would have. The Rangers played a sloppy game, AGAIN. They gotta tighten up, stop taking bad penalties, and for the love of God, stop screening their own goalie.

I think the problem was the broadcast.

It felts like a exhibition game with nothing at stake. I really do not like ESPN broadcasts.
How could you not like Messier doing the color? Once you get used to his speed talking over his false teeth listening to him give his analysis a mile a minute while sounding like a Canadian Elmer Fud on meth is quite enjoyable.

• Haha
Reactions: FUZfan

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
People use this forum to vent when the team is shit so they don’t feel alone with their thoughts. I’m not gonna post 10 times in a row saying “wow they’re amazing!” There’s nothing to say, they’re playing good I don’t have anything to converse about. I can enjoy good hockey. You really think I need to sit here and circle jerk the team to validate your opinion?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
People use this forum to vent when the team is shit so they don’t feel alone with their thoughts. I’m not gonna post 10 times in a row saying “wow they’re amazing!” There’s nothing to say, they’re playing good I don’t have anything to converse about. I can enjoy good hockey. You really think I need to sit here and circle jerk the team to validate your opinion?
No, and I never said or insinuated that. But I hear your point about needing a place to vent. If people sat at a bar saying some of the stuff they say in the GDT, the crowd around them would quickly disperse :laugh:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He made some key saves but I don’t agree. If you watch him closely he seems to be loosing track of the puck, making a lot of excessive slides across the crease, seems off balance on a lot of saves and not anywhere near as efficient as he has been.

One of the biggest differences this season over last is his struggles with rebound control. In Washington’s 3rd goal that puck hit him in the chest, bounced off him and just sat there right in prime scoring position. Prime Igor gobbles that puck into his chest and there is no rebound. I’m not saying he played bad but he’s a long way from vintage Igor.
So he's definitely looked the best he has all year but still not close to last year's level.

He's never been great with rebounds especially on bad angle shots, but this year he's really had lots of difficulty. Low shots from the side boards just pop off his pads and go right to the slot. Sam will be like 'oO that's a tuuuuuf shot, goooooood save' my man, it was a low shot from the goal line along the boards, get a grip.

He's also not tracking the puck well off broken plays and his 5 hole is wide open as he's scrambling to recover instead of being in control and on top of the puck. He had a 6th sense last year which he's trying to get back.

Like I said though, definitely seems much improved, with him on top of his crease attacking the shooter even off of rebounds and swallowing the puck on point shots more often. I think he's getting there which is crucial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad