Post-Game Talk: lower case

3 stars

• Total voters

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
People use this forum to vent when the team is shit so they don’t feel alone with their thoughts. I’m not gonna post 10 times in a row saying “wow they’re amazing!” There’s nothing to say, they’re playing good I don’t have anything to converse about. I can enjoy good hockey. You really think I need to sit here and circle jerk the team to validate your opinion?

circle jerk of positivity>>>circle jerk of negativity

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zibanejad still doesn't get enough credit.

As recently as last season, people were debating if he's a "legit 1C." He's made that not even a reasonable discussion.

Going back through the playoffs, he has 94 points in his last 87 games. That's comfortably better than 90 per 82.

Yes, he scores a lot of his goals on the powerplay, but he's also in a role where he's the trigger on his team's powerplay.

Since the start of last year, he has 50 even strength (non empty net) assists. That's more than Fox, more than Hughes, more than Pastrnak, more than Aho, more than Larkin - it's one less than f***ing Kucherov.

His even strength distributing is massively underrated.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

As recently as last season, people were debating if he's a "legit 1C." He's made that not even a reasonable discussion.

Going back through the playoffs, he has 94 points in his last 87 games. That's comfortably better than 90 per 82.

Yes, he scores a lot of his goals on the powerplay, but he's also in a role where he's the trigger on his team's powerplay.

Since the start of last year, he has 50 even strength (non empty net) assists. That's more than Fox, more than Hughes, more than Pastrnak, more than Aho, more than Larkin - it's one less than f***ing Kucherov.

Kreider had a blip career year in goal scoring, which is where I'm guessing most of Zib's distributing went.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider had a blip career year in goal scoring, which is where I'm guessing most of Zib's distributing went.
Probably not so much because Kreider scored 50% of his goals on the powerplay last year.

Kreider is well on pace to beat last year's ES goal total. He's currently down 20 on the powerplay.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The powerplay massively warps production numbers.

Doing 50 of anything at even strength is very difficult, even in this higher scoring league.

Reactions: JCProdigy

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Basically saved the season single handedly in game 6 vs Pitt 2-2-4, and then tied game 7 with 6 minutes left. Jeff Gorton's greatest move.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You guys wanna hear something f***ed up?

Wayne's Gretzky had more even strength points than anybody else had points five times. That has been done *checks notes* five times.

There are three instances where his even strength point totals would be top 25 highest scoring seasons in NHL history.

Wayne Gretzky is bullshit.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
If lentils = meat, then yes, he ate meat.

Title: The Lentil Effect: Mika Zibanejad's Journey to Greatness

Mika Zibanejad, a promising young hockey player for the New York Rangers, has been following a strict vegan diet based on tofu and other plant-based proteins for years. While he's known for his skill on the ice, he struggles to maintain consistency and reach his full potential as a player.

One day, a chance encounter with a nutritionist at a health food store leads Mika to discover the benefits of lentils, a food he had previously dismissed as unappetizing. Intrigued by the potential health benefits, he decides to give lentils a try and gradually starts to replace tofu with this nutrient-dense legume.

As Mika begins to eat more lentils, he notices a significant improvement in his energy levels, stamina, and focus on the ice. He feels stronger, faster, and more alert, and his performance starts to catch the attention of his coach and teammates.

However, not everyone is convinced of the lentil's power. Mika's teammate and rival, Chris Kreider, scoffs at his new diet and taunts him, claiming that lentils are just a fad and that steak is the superior protein source.

Undeterred, Mika continues to stick with his new diet and work hard to improve his game. He spends hours in the gym, refining his skills and pushing himself to new heights.

As the season progresses, Mika's performance on the ice becomes increasingly dominant. He scores more goals, makes more assists, and becomes a leader on the team.

In the final game of the season, the Rangers face off against their arch-rivals, the Boston Bruins, in a winner-takes-all showdown. In a tense, high-stakes game, Mika's superior skill and endurance make the difference, and he leads the Rangers to a stunning victory.

As the team celebrates their championship win, Mika reflects on his journey and the power of lentils to transform his life and his game. He realizes that sometimes, the smallest changes can make the biggest difference, and that lentils will forever be a part of his winning formula.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Lol. But I wanna know if Ziba and Kreider are still "rivals" or friends and if Kreider is now also eating the nutrient-dense legume?

Reactions: Filip Chytil

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I mean you're kind of stretching it with those comparisons. Those comparisons work if they're 5v5 A/60. Their game totals are all different. Point still remains he's been solid playmaker and that's part of my issues with him. He's shown the skill to be the elite goal scorer. I'd rather him be that in a team full of 'playmakers' or 'overpassers'

Even then, over the past 2 seasons, he's 81st according to NST at 5v5 assists/60 . 1.32. A guy like Tarasenko is more underrated, sitting at 1.41 over the same timeframe at #41.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Lol. But I wanna know if Ziba and Kreider are still "rivals" or friends and if Kreider is now also eating the nutrient-dense legume?

I've asked for clarification:
The story does not mention whether Mika Zibanejad converts Chris Kreider to the power of lentils or not. However, it does show that Chris Kreider realizes his mistake in taunting Mika and offers his congratulations and respect after the team wins the championship.

As for whether Mika and Chris are still friends, the story does not explicitly say. However, the fact that Chris approaches Mika after the game to offer his congratulations and respect suggests that they have put their disagreement over lentils behind them and are able to maintain a professional and respectful relationship. It's possible that they have become closer friends as a result of this shared experience, but this is left open to interpretation.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean you're kind of stretching it with those comparisons. Those comparisons work if they're 5v5 A/60. Their game totals are all different. Point still remains he's been solid playmaker and that's part of my issues with him. He's shown the skill to be the elite goal scorer. I'd rather him be that in a team full of 'playmakers' or 'overpassers'

Even then, over the past 2 seasons, he's 81st according to NST at 5v5 assists/60 . 1.32. A guy like Tarasenko is more underrated, sitting at 1.41 over the same timeframe at #41.
I'm not saying he's better than any of those guys. It's to demonstrate some of the company he's in.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
He would not be a marginal upgrade over Harpur IMO

HE can play both sides as well. I 100% rather have Braun in over Harpur if an injury was to occur in the playoffs. It's not even close in my mind. Who plays 3RD if one of the RHD gets hurt?

I don't get your point. We shouldn't have looked to upgrade Harpur? I don't see Harpur as an NHL talent. He's here mainly because he's big.

It's simplified. We never have the team performing all at once. From Fox, Trouba and our defense. To Mika, Panarin, Kids, and our forwards. To special teams. To Igor.

If this team plays to it's capabilities it beats any other team that plays to it's full capabilities. That's the point I was trying to make. I think we have the greatest potential in the league right now. If that potential is realized is up to the players and coaching staff.

My point is that they DID upgrade Harpur. That's why Mikkola was brought in. At this point, you are wanting to be 7-8D deep with exactly zero cap space. And making the illogical assumption Philly would have taken Harpur straight up for Braun. Harpur is a fine 7D, Braun is roughly the same. Again, look at Philly's defense. Now look at Braun's average icetime on that dumpsterfire since December 1st. Now realize their coach is quite possibly the absolute best case for Braun. Put the pieces together and you get Braun is maybe a marginal upgrade over Harpur, who has played and practiced with this version of the Rangers for 67 games.

My 2nd point is that with Lindgren healthy, Harpur, Braun, you, me, and my mother all would have the same amount of ice time. That's not something I'm spending a ton of time focusing on at the trade deadline when we brought in 4 other much more significant pieces.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not saying he's better than any of those guys. It's to demonstrate some of the company he's in.
Yeah, I get it..

I feel like Zibs is good at a lot of things but maybe I'm clinging onto 2020 too much hoping to get back the elite goal scorer.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Those people were wrong.

Reactions: Machinehead

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

He’s right there with Bergeron and O’Reilly he just needs a Cup to show for it like them. Soon.

Reactions: Machinehead and tlk

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yeah, I get it..

I feel like Zibs is good at a lot of things but maybe I'm clinging onto 2020 too much hoping to get back the elite goal scorer.
What's an elite goal scorer to you because I don't get it. The guy has 34 goals in 67 games which on pace for 41 goals which would match his career high.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The truth is in the middle. He was all world last year and just hasn't been nearly as good this year but a .910 save % is not terrible and he does face a high number of high quality chances against.
this isn't really true tbh. he's 30th out of 48 goalies with at least 1000 minutes in HD chances against/60 and 24th in xGA/60.

the Rangers are much better defensively than offensively this year. it doesn't feel like it because the whole league has exploded in offense, but the Rangers are absolutely no uniquely bad.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The difference is there is nothing that can be done about that but the NHL actually can take a hard look at the general incompetence of their officiating. I understand this will never happen with the general incompetence of the people who run the league.
You think it's incompetence, it's exactly what they want though. I don't understand why you actually think the league wants them to do something other than exactly what the officials are doing. They want the games kept close so that they are competitive and people keep watching them. Nobody's watching 7 to 1 games, they're switching the games off to do something else and rating suffer and when rating suffer revenue suffer. Also if the games are kept tighter then the gambling partnerships are going to get more activity and generate more revenue. It may not be what you want to accept, but it's the reality of the situation. The officials are literally doing exactly what the league wants them to do. They aren't renegades just randomly calling penalties to keep games close for no reason. You're absolutely lost if you don't think that the officials are getting instruction from the league and calling the games accordingly

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
this isn't really true tbh. he's 30th out of 48 goalies with at least 1000 minutes in HD chances against/60 and 24th in xGA/60.

the Rangers are much better defensively than offensively this year. it doesn't feel like it because the whole league has exploded in offense, but the Rangers are absolutely no uniquely bad.
Maybe it's just recency bias on my part because the I'm sure the last 10 games or so don't show that.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You think it's incompetence, it's exactly what they want though. I don't understand why you actually think the league wants them to do something other than exactly what the officials are doing. They want the games kept close so that they are competitive and people keep watching them. Nobody's watching 7 to 1 games, they're switching the games off to do something else and rating suffer and when rating suffer revenue suffer. Also if the games are kept tighter then the gambling partnerships are going to get more activity and generate more revenue. It may not be what you want to accept, but it's the reality of the situation. The officials are literally doing exactly what the league wants them to do. They aren't renegades just randomly calling penalties to keep games close for no reason. You're absolutely lost if you don't think that the officials are getting instruction from the league and calling the games accordingly
Yeah no kidding. Both can be true though. I think the officiating sucks in general because the game is too fast. They miss a ton of what I consider blatant infractions and then call ticky tack holding/hooking crap. I understand that the league wants the game management shit but I don't agree with it. Is the league grading on a bell curve now to keep the bad teams in games? That's not the way it should work. I was watching the Kings-Isles game last night and as soon the Kings went up 4-1 the next 3 PP's were awarded to the Isles. It's so damn predictable.

Reactions: egelband

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah no kidding. Both can be true though. I think the officiating sucks in general because the game is too fast. They miss a ton of what I consider blatant infractions and then call ticky tack holding/hooking crap. I understand that the league wants the game management shit but I don't agree with it. Is the league grading on a bell curve now to keep the bad teams in games? That's not the way it should work. I was watching the Kings-Isles game last night and as soon the Kings went up 4-1 the next 3 PP's were awarded to the Isles. It's so damn predictable.
I mean this with all due respect, but you're looking at it from a competitive standpoint in a league is looking at itself as a business. People seem to ignore the fact that everything that the league does is as a business. Unless people started turning the games off all together and stopped watching because the games were being artificially kept closer and more competitive then they're going to keep doing it. And nobody's ever going to turn the games off because they're being kept competitive. I completely understand frustration but you're complaints seem based around this idea that the officials are the problem when I can all the guarantee you that they're actually just doing what they're being instructed to do. It's not the officials, it's the league and it's not going to change because it's keeping people engaged in games longer than they had in the past. I accepted it over a decade ago. That's why when I constantly see people crying on here about the officiating I just kind of laugh because people want to see this team when a championship and they just act like oh we've got bad refs today again when reality is is that you just have to play through this shit if you're going to win a championship in this league and complaining about it there's nothing except distract yourself from the focus it's going to be needed to persevere through it. On the plus side, as long as they get their power play units functioning consistently then the team actually has one of the greatest benefits from this situation which is if they're losing a game and power place start to become gifted to keep the game tight they should be able to take advantage of that to stay in the game or get back into them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00