TSN: Lowe to address media at 10:30 (Tambo fired(yay!), MacT GM(wat?), Howson promoted)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Spec (1260) asked a good question the other day...records being what they are currently which roster would you rather have, the Oilers or Leafs going forward. Even if it meant missing the playoffs with the Oilers and maing them with the Leafs. IMO I pick the Oilers all the way.

So what does it say about him as a GM when he can build a team that gets into the playoffs without benefit of even a single top 3 pick, whereas this lame duck franchise has had three consecutive no.1 selections and still can figure out what they're doing?

You guys are way too caught up in the "personality" of the GM. I don't give two ***** about his personality. What's his experience? Whats his track record? Does he get results? Does he win most of the trades? Who's he drafted?

Burke is far, far better qualified than this hire, and quite honestly, for all the "bluster" of Burke, I don't think he's ever said anything as stupid as some of the comments that came out of Lowe's mouth this morning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Isn't Vancouver going to run away with the division title again for like however many years in a row its been?

When's the last time the Oilers even sniffed a division title? 20+ years ago?

I'm not exactly huffing and puffing about a one year record of 2-1-1. They've manhandled us for the last 5-6 years.

Probably. I think the general weakness of this division speaks for itself. The Flames and Avs, for however long, are still below us and the Wild are middling at best.

Still, do you see them getting anywhere near the level they are now with the goaltending he instilled when he was still their GM? There was a reason they were considered playoff failures for a number of years, usually it was between the pipes.

Yes he drafted the Sedins, do you remember where he drafted them? And Kesler's on the decline with his recent injuries.

He set up the Canucks for future success, but the fact remains he never took that team to the next level. That was the following GMs, Nonis (Luongo trade), and Gillis.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
So what does it say about him as a GM when he can build a team that gets into the playoffs without benefit of even a single top 3 pick, whereas this lame duck franchise has had three consecutive no.1 selections and still can figure out what they're doing?
I'm sure it would have been possible to trade away some young talent this year to squeak into the playoffs...Hall, Eberle, and RNH would have brought in some short term gain, no?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
This isn't change. This is the same group of men who sewered this team in the first place. The fact that anyone can still buy into this show astonishes me.

It's no wonder they still get away with it all.

Just Sad but true:shakehead

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably. I think the general weakness of this division speaks for itself. The Flames and Avs, for however long, are still below us and the Wild are middling at best.

Still, do you see them getting anywhere near the level they are now with the goaltending he instilled when he was still their GM? There was a reason they were considered playoff failures for a number of years, usually it was between the pipes.

Yes he drafted the Sedins, do you remember where he drafted them? And Kesler's on the decline with his recent injuries.

He set up the Canucks for future success, but the fact remains he never took that team to the next level. That was the following GMs, Nonis (Luongo trade), and Gillis.

Yeah ... and? He made a huge move and had the balls to get both of the Sedins. And Kesler is still a huge part of that team whether you want to admit it or not.

Oiler fans acting like "phew we didn't get Burke!" .... and being happy about that ... lol.

This guy is far more qualified than today's hire. Lowe is too gutless to make such a hire because it would compromise his position in the franchise.

Plain and simple.

Burke is too good of a GM for this gong show of a front office, to be blunt about it. He does his job, wins most of the trades he makes, has experience, and has had success guiding three franchises now to the playoffs.

Deriding him for not getting every team over the hump is like a overweight guy with no job passing on a date with a Victoria Secret model because she doesn't like the same music he does, lol. What position are we in to snipe at him? If the Oilers had the Leafs record, people would be going crazy in this city and everyone knows it.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Thank you MacT. You were instrumental in the acquiring of McDavid and Draisaitl.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
image.jpg

The team was finally turning the corner. The scapegoat was released. Was all smooth sailing from here!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad