TSN: Lowe to address media at 10:30 (Tambo fired(yay!), MacT GM(wat?), Howson promoted)

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I did not say you should expect it to work out i said you should give it a chance

We don't have time to give things more chances. We're gonna have to start making major decisions on personnel soon. We've already squandered years that could have been used to finding complementary pieces.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We don't have time to give things more chances. We're gonna have to start making major decisions on personnel soon. We've already squandered years that could have been used to finding complementary pieces.

And... isn't that what MacT said he would do? Or did I miss something here?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Just listening to Tencer tonight... wow, is he really trying to sell this move. They might as well hire Dan to be a PR spokesman for the club (I'm sure many of you would say he already is).

poetryingasoline

Feb 20, 2008
Just a question for you all....

There was also a post a while ago that predicted this very thing happening (Tambo being fired and KLowe and company taking all the credit when the team was on the cusp of great things).

I also feel like Tambo got thrown under the bus. While some of you may not be fans of Tambo, I think firing him and promoting MacT looks really bad.

My question is, will Mac T be an improvement? And if not, who is the best qualified GM that is out there right now?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The latter, then.

Though, your quote is exactly what I said about the Oilers today.

Nah, it's the same panic switch. Unreal that so many people wanted Tambo gone, got it, but aren't happy.

Some change is better than no change. I just don't get the sky is always calling thinking.

Then again, I was proven how pathetic it is in the Rieder trade thread.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
And... isn't that what MacT said he would do? Or did I miss something here?

The problem with this situation might be what you're missing.

Kevin Lowe sewered this team and was promoted to President of Hockey Operations, shielded from responsibility. His successor, Tambellini, as GM was an incompetent ninny who could do nothing but win draft lotteries. In 2009, Tambellini fired the coach, Craig MacTavish, who then failed to find work in an NHL capacity until he was brought back in an advisory role to the team from which he was removed. Meanwhile, former assistant GM Scott Howson left for a GM position in Columbus, and was fired after leading them to a last place finish. Lowe fires Tambellini, maybe because the Oilers weren't in last place for once. Then he promotes the coach no one wanted to a position in which that person has never served. Finally, he brings back the former assistant GM who failed in his last gig, apparently because the team is losing too much. Also, Lowe, the architect of these seven years of embarrassment and disappointment, is still the top dog in hockey operations and gets all pissy when people question this team's executive structure.

The sky has already fallen.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
What a gigantic troll to the people that were actually expecting a Brian Burke hire. I love it. Hopefully now, you understand how unrealistic his hiring would be even though it would be the right move to make. The old boys club is still strongly in effect thanks to Kevin Lowe, who should be held just as responsible as Steve Tambellini for our failure.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
What a gigantic troll to the people that were actually expecting a Brian Burke hire. I love it. Hopefully now, you understand how unrealistic his hiring would be even though it would be the right move to make. The old boys club is still strongly in effect thanks to Kevin Lowe, who is just as responsible as Steve Tambellini for our failure.
While Tambellini being replaced by MacT isn't necessarily a step forward. Not hiring the biggest blowhard in the industry (BURKE) at least isn't a step backwards.

WayneMessier

Feb 12, 2013
Inyourbeerfridge
Long time oiler fan

For those that wonder at Lowe's arrogance, I read an autobiography he wrote ( 30 years ago in the midst of the glory years, champions something in the title?) couldn't believe the arrogance.
You would have thought the the young boy from the milk farm in Quebec did it all.
So, not surprised that he ended up "positioning himself" for the role he still has with the team.
Way to go, Kevin.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Nah, it's the same panic switch. Unreal that so many people wanted Tambo gone, got it, but aren't happy.

Some change is better than no change. I just don't get the sky is always calling thinking.

Then again, I was proven how pathetic it is in the Rieder trade thread.

Of course they aren't happy! Did you see who replaced him? And who they brought back? And the guy who is still somehow in charge of hockey operations?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If you want to stay in this thread and overall in HFOil, keep it civil. Cut out the trolling and personal attacks. I know emotions are high, but they will not be tolerated.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
While Tambellini being replaced by MacT isn't necessarily a step forward. Not hiring the biggest blowhard in the industry (BURKE) at least isn't a step backwards.

He's got a good track record with improving teams, he's the best person available. Hands down. However, there is no sense in talking about it any further.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
He's got a good track record with improving teams, he's the best person available. Hands down. However, there is no sense in talking about it any further.
I will agree that he was fired before he could enjoy the fruits of his labour in TO but if we are talking big egos...he's the man!

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
People cry for change, they get it, then cry again because change happened.

Remember when Tobias Reider was traded?

But thanks for your hope. I appreciate all the explanations you gave me.

To the bolded:

Of course they aren't happy! Did you see who replaced him? And who they brought back? And the guy who is still somehow in charge of hockey operations?

I don't know what Tobias Reider has to do with anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad