TSN: Lowe to address media at 10:30 (Tambo fired(yay!), MacT GM(wat?), Howson promoted)

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
People cry for change, they get it, then cry again because change happened.

Remember when Tobias Reider was traded?

But thanks for your hope. I appreciate all the explanations you gave me.

Exactly. People come across as some spoiled kid who didn't get the toy they wanted.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While Tambellini being replaced by MacT isn't necessarily a step forward. Not hiring the biggest blowhard in the industry (BURKE) at least isn't a step backwards.

Yes because hiring a guy who's had success for like two decades at his job is a bullet dodged as we hired someone who has zero experience being a general manager and only got the gig really because he's best buds with the president of hockey ops.

But yeah, what a relief that we didn't hire Burke because people don't like his personality. We all know how important that is to wins and losses.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To the bolded:

I don't know what Tobias Reider has to do with anything.

People cry when anything regarding this organization happens, no matter how major or minor.

People wanted Tamby gone, they got their wish.

But let's crucify MacT before the end of the day. We got a game tomorrow after all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes because hiring a guy who's had success for like two decades at his job is a bullet dodged as we hired someone who has zero experience being a general manager and only got the gig really because he's best buds with the president of hockey ops.

But yeah, what a relief that we didn't hire Burke because people don't like his personality. We all know how important that is to wins and losses.

...Huh? Two decades...? Brian Burke must have a lot of awards and Cup Rings then. Why didn't Columbus hire him then?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
My $.02:

I'm very happy that Tambellini is no longer running this club. The only thing he was good for was accumulating the 1st overall picks. I also think that MacT has the potential to be a very good GM. But seriously, does Katz & Lowe not realize the optics of promoting a guy into a GM role that you just fired 4 years ago? Whether or not he's a good hire doesn't negate the fact that it feels like we're moving backwards.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Long time oiler fan

For those that wonder at Lowe's arrogance, I read an autobiography he wrote ( 30 years ago in the midst of the glory years, champions something in the title?) couldn't believe the arrogance.
You would have thought the the young boy from the milk farm in Quebec did it all.
So, not surprised that he ended up "positioning himself" for the role he still has with the team.
Way to go, Kevin.

I could just imagine, haven't read the autobiography. Used to go to his / parents ice cream place every time I was in Lachute, they now sold the place. Enjoyed seeing the pictures on the wall in his Oiler jersey., Last few years though, even though they aren't the owners, its still called La Cremerie Lowe, I just drive right by the place and go to MacDonalds for their ice cream close by, lol, I just starting getting bad vibes with Kevin's career in Edmonton

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Remember when Tobias Reider was traded?

But thanks for your hope. I appreciate all the explanations you gave me.

Not much is going to change unfortunately.

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton
People knew heads would roll over this season - but certainly the wrong one did if Lowe still has his job.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
...Huh? Two decades...? Brian Burke must have a lot of awards and Cup Rings then. Why didn't Columbus hire him then?

He has won a Cup actually.

If the Oilers had the Leafs record right now, people would be tap dancing up and down Whyte Avenue claiming the glory days are coming back. He's a better GM than anyone we've had since Sather and he has the resume to actually back that up, not relying on getting jobs because he was buds with some higher up.

That guy, like his personality or not, is experienced and knows how to do the job.

With Mac T, we just gotta hope that he can figure out the job (under the genius tutelage of Lowe no less) and not make too many mistakes.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

I'm not impressed by hiring MacT either. Burke hasn't had success for 2 decades so that just isn't true.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
Those are some pretty strong words from the new GM in that press conference for somebody that is completely new to the job. This is going to be interesting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not impressed by hiring MacT either. Burke hasn't had success for 2 decades so that just isn't true.

The Sedins, Kesler, etc. don't make an impact for Vancouver?

They bend us over pretty much every time we play them, that's Burke's handiwork that's still killing us to this day.

He set up Vancouver so well that they still take this lame duck division of bozo GMs to school every year, even years after he's left.

Thought maybe Minny might challenge them for the division lead at least this year, but nope, they're going to run away with it again.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If the Oilers had the Leafs record right now, people would be tap dancing up and down Whyte Avenue claiming the glory days are coming back. He's a better GM than anyone we've had since Sather and he has the resume to actually back that up, not getting jobs because he was buds with some higher up.

Lets be real. That guy, like his personality or not, is experienced and knows how to do the job.

With Mac T, we just gotta hope that he can figure out the job (under the genius tutelage of Lowe no less) and not make too many mistakes.

I'm quite aware he won a cup. So did the man in Calgary currently. I guess we should have coaxed the flames into letting us talk to Feaster too by that logic.

Still, if he's so revered, why did Columbus pass on him? They went with a guy who's never had an NHL GM job before either.

For every good move with Burke there's a bad move. For every Phaneuf a Komisarek, for every Lupul a Gustavsson.

Some people say Columbus is where they are because they fired Howson. Could the same not be said of the Leafs?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Sedins, Kesler, etc. don't make an impact for Vancouver?

They bend us over pretty much every time we play them, that's Burke's handiwork that's still killing us to this day.

He set up Vancouver so well that they still take this lame duck division of bozo GMs to school every year, even years after he's left.

Aren't we like 2-1-1 against Vancouver this year?

My biggest worry about Burke is his ability to identify quality goaltending. No way Vancouver wins the President's Trophy back to back with Cloutier back there.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

If the Oilers had the Leafs record right now, people would be tap dancing up and down Whyte Avenue claiming the glory days are coming back. He's a better GM than anyone we've had since Sather and he has the resume to actually back that up, not relying on getting jobs because he was buds with some higher up.

That guy, like his personality or not, is experienced and knows how to do the job.

Spec (1260) asked a good question the other day...records being what they are currently which roster would you rather have, the Oilers or Leafs going forward. Even if it meant missing the playoffs with the Oilers and maing them with the Leafs. IMO I pick the Oilers all the way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Aren't we like 2-1-1 against Vancouver this year?

My biggest worry about Burke is his ability to identify quality goaltending. No way Vancouver wins the President's Trophy back to back with Cloutier back there.

Isn't Vancouver going to run away with the division title again for like however many years in a row its been?

When's the last time the Oilers even sniffed a division title? 20+ years ago?

I'm not exactly huffing and puffing about a one year record of 2-1-1. They've manhandled us for the last 5-6 years.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I just had this thought... I wonder what happens to Smyth now that he golfing buddy MacT is the GM?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

This isn't change. This is the same group of men who sewered this team in the first place. The fact that anyone can still buy into this show astonishes me.

It's no wonder they still get away with it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad