Post-Game Talk: Love and Joy, Pens fall 3-2 to the Blues in OT

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The roster is a mess, Too light, too small and too old. Get behind this team? I don't like this team because I don't know this team.

Their were moves to be made to get us back on the right track, but JR missed them. And what's worse is he set us back further with the Despres trade and the handling of BB. We will head into next season with BB being no further ahead than he was coming into 2014. Very similar to how Despres was handled.

Ben Lovejoy ......... I still can't come to grips with this trade, I never will either.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
There was a small chance the Pens were going to do something in the playoffs WITH Malkin and Horns. Without them? Ha. I'd be shocked if they won 2 games in a series, no matter who they play. Not to mention Ehrhoff's apparent inability to play a full game .......

Now, there are still 2.5 weeks until the playoffs so its possible both Geno and Horns come back. I'll watch the playoffs and cheer for them but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up this season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep. They have been doing it for a long time, too. Excuses to cover the ***** of the organization in the eyes of the casual fan. Neal? Oh, he was a locker room cancer and nobody on the team liked him, and he almost got into a fist fight with a reporter. Despres? Oh, he was way too inconsistent and inexperienced, and he was nothing more than a fighter anyway. Kunitz? Oh, he's not a lazy slug who has been on a downward spiral for years. He is anemic and the Pens are giving him way too many minutes.

Moving Neal for Hornqvist gave this team a huge heart transplant. I was fully on board with that trade. There were definite issues there with Neal, but if he ever asked for a trade like the org said, who knows. I tend to believe Neal's side in that regard.

This nonsense with Kunitz has become fascinating TBTH. Like with Adams, it's become so absurd that there isn't much left to say. All you can do is shake your head and wonder why this org lacks the stones to do what's best for the team as a whole, rather than trying to prop up a few select vets to keep the Get Along Gang happy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The roster is a mess, Too light, too small and too old. Get behind this team? I don't like this team because I don't know this team.

Their were moves to be made to get us back on the right track, but JR missed them. And what's worse is he set us back further with the Despres trade and the handling of BB. We will head into next season with BB being no further ahead than he was coming into 2014. Very similar to how Despres was handled.

Ben Lovejoy ......... I still can't come to grips with this trade, I never will either.

BB won't be here next season, and if he is, it won't be for long.

They already made up their mind about him, just like they did with Despres. The only difference is one deal fell through and with the other, Murray couldn't stop giggling as he sent in the paperwork.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I still don't think Winnik with Crosby is a suitable answer for the long-term. I thought we wanted to get away from that type of concept, not recreate it. If the choice is between Winnik and Kunitz, then obviously Winnik is the better option, but I don't think Winnik and Hornqvist on the same line gives you the elements needed for a successful playoff line.

Oh I too agree with this. The words Winnik and long-term shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

In fact, it just shows how far we've fallen when we need Winnik to save Crosby's line.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Moving Neal for Hornqvist gave this team a huge heart transplant. I was fully on board with that trade. There were definite issues there with Neal, but if he ever asked for a trade like the org said, who knows. I tend to believe Neal's side in that regard.

This nonsense with Kunitz has become fascinating TBTH. Like with Adams, it's become so absurd that there isn't much left to say. All you can do is shake your head and wonder why this org lacks the stones to do what's best for the team as a whole, rather than trying to prop up a few select vets to keep the Get Along Gang happy.

Yeah, I was and still am 100% happy with the Neal-Hornqvist/Spaling trade. I agree with you on everything, I was just pointing out that instead of owning up to the fact that Neal was a bad fit, and a big reason for our playoff failures, they made up some ******** story about him to pull the wool over the eyes of your everyday yinzer who takes Madden and DK as gospel.

I've been campaigning against Kunitz for the better part of three years. I just don't understand the situation anymore. Rather, I understand it completely because it fits the Penguins' M.O. to a T, but I don't "get it." I cannot fathom how or why a team would put the feelings of certain players ahead of putting forth the best product on the ice. It means a more legit chance at a Cup, which translates to dollars.

But hey, we're just a couple of dummies on a message board. What do we know? :laughs:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Wow, Lap and Lovejoy take blame on the Blues 3 goals.

On the 2nd goal, WTF was Scuds doing, it looked like he was doing some type of Yoga exercise.

On the 3rd goal, What about Sid's failure to let ZM of all people get the puck to the net. All he had to do was block the shot and he blows right past ZM for a breakaway. Sid's effort was less than ideal but no criticism.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I was and still am 100% happy with the Neal-Hornqvist/Spaling trade. I agree with you on everything, I was just pointing out that instead of owning up to the fact that Neal was a bad fit, and a big reason for our playoff failures, they made up some ******** story about him to pull the wool over the eyes of your everyday yinzer who takes Madden and DK as gospel.

I've been campaigning against Kunitz for the better part of three years. I just don't understand the situation anymore. Rather, I understand it completely because it fits the Penguins' M.O. to a T, but I don't "get it." I cannot fathom how or why a team would put the feelings of certain players ahead of putting forth the best product on the ice. It means a more legit chance at a Cup, which translates to dollars.

But hey, we're just a couple of dummies on a message board. What do we know? :laughs:

I don't know much about much, but I know hockey. I know about team dynamics. I know that a coach who gives other players special treatment like Kunitz is getting and it directly affects the team on the ice, builds resentment among other players.

The guys in that room aren't stupid, they see it to.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Wow, Lap and Lovejoy take blame on the Blues 3 goals.

On the 2nd goal, WTF was Scuds doing, it looked like he was doing some type of Yoga exercise.

On the 3rd goal, What about Sid's failure to let ZM of all people get the puck to the net. All he had to do was block the shot and he blows right past ZM for a breakaway. Sid's effort was less than ideal but no criticism.

Sid was in the shooting lane had ZM shot the puck on net...instead ZM did a slap pass which would have gone about 10 ft wide if not for Steen deflecting it in. If anything, Lovejoy is to blame for that goal...not Crosby.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Lovejoy was absolutely to blame on the game-winning goal. He lost not one, but TWO battles to Steen...the first along the boards, and the second in front of the net. This wasn't Milan Lucic, it was Alex Steen. Good player, max effort guy and all that but come on!

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
As bad as Lovejoy was on the OT goal, at least he stepped up and took accountability.
Unlike say Scuderi who was embarrassed to a far worse degree whilst he scrambled around on all 4s because his skating is too poor to actually pressure the puck carrier.
I swear I played w a guy like that in beer leagues awhile ago, he would go down in front of me to the point where at best he was useless, and at worst he would screen me or deflect pucks in close. I'd scream at him.

Seriously that **** from Scuds is beer league embarrassing. And 2 more years of it comin up.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Winnik-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Kunitz-LaPierre-Bennett

PLEASE Let this be the lineup going into the playoffs. I think that lineup gives you the best chance to win day-in and day-out. Winnik has been competing every game since he got here, and IMO, he has earned a look on the top-6. I would like Bennett on the third, but I don't think he is a better option than Spaling or Downie up there. Even then, with with Kunitz-Lappy-Bennett, you have strong puck possession and they would be an offensive threat. Kunitz would excel (or at least fit in) in a slower 4th line role. As much as I want Sunqvist on the team for the playoffs, I think bringing in a rookie and expecting him to be our savior is a terrible idea.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can't wait to see Scuderi/Lovejoy get exploited in the playoffs

Remember how awful Niskanen-Lovejoy was? Yeah...and Niskanen is worlds ahead of Scuderi. Ouch.

Injuries have really marred the season, like any other. As soon as the bottom 6 is health, we should be running Downie-Sutter-Bennett, Winnik-Lappy-Spaling. Not only that, but stay with it at least 2-3 games.

We gripe a lot about Bennett and it while Kunitz has been six shades of **** bad, Bennett has done himself no favors.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Winnik-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Kunitz-LaPierre-Bennett

PLEASE Let this be the lineup going into the playoffs. I think that lineup gives you the best chance to win day-in and day-out. Winnik has been competing every game since he got here, and IMO, he has earned a look on the top-6. I would like Bennett on the third, but I don't think he is a better option than Spaling or Downie up there. Even then, with with Kunitz-Lappy-Bennett, you have strong puck possession and they would be an offensive threat. Kunitz would excel (or at least fit in) in a slower 4th line role. As much as I want Sunqvist on the team for the playoffs, I think bringing in a rookie and expecting him to be our savior is a terrible idea.

That's not bad. I would even consider venturing into the:

Winnik-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist

possibility if things get stale.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Remember how awful Niskanen-Lovejoy was? Yeah...and Niskanen is worlds ahead of Scuderi. Ouch.
It's going to be a disaster for sure.. Scuderi lacks mobility and isn't physical. That's a hell of a combo.

Lovejoy is just Mark Eaton 2.0.. a #6/7 who shouldn't be logging big minutes, but he is.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Oh I too agree with this. The words Winnik and long-term shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

In fact, it just shows how far we've fallen when we need Winnik to save Crosby's line.

I thought Winnik had a great game last night especially in the first two periods. However, it will be interesting to see if that is a level he can sustain.

I also thought he looked gassed in the third period. He wasn't moving with as much speed as in the earlier periods and he was giving up on pucks he would've battled for. I don't know if he can skate and play at his top level for three periods keeping up with Crosby especially over a series where Crosby's getting fed minutes.

Winnik may not be a long-term solution or may prove not to be a short term solution, but it would be beneficial to move Kunitz out of the top 6.

Winnik/Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Winnik/Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter/Lapierre-Downie
Kunitz-Sutter/Lapierre-Bennett

Winnik with Malkin may be a better tempo for Winnik; alternatively Perron-Malkin may be great. I worry that Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist is a version of KCD without the skating abilities.

Spaling and Downie seem to play well together regardless of who is centering the line. However, I have a feeling that Johnston will go Kunitz-Sutter-Downie which seem defensively suspect. Spaling-Lapierre-Bennett seems like it has no identity.

On an unrelated noted, I have not been impressed with Lovejoy's defensive coverage. He's blown several coverages leading to goals and excellent scoring opportunities. On top of that, while he's not quite as bad as Scuderi in the offensive zone, I have been underwhelmed with his offensive contributions. I expected more from Lovejoy at this point, and hopefully this is still just the settling in period.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Injuries have really marred the season, like any other. As soon as the bottom 6 is health, we should be running Downie-Sutter-Bennett, Winnik-Lappy-Spaling. Not only that, but stay with it at least 2-3 games.

We gripe a lot about Bennett and it while Kunitz has been six shades of **** bad, Bennett has done himself no favors.

BB coach has done him zero favors either. When he had a good game in Chicago, even Eddie O and PM were baffled why he wasn't being played more and didn't see a second of OT ice. Last game he had 7 hits and played well. Then he carried that momentum into the first period last night, but after the first period he got I believe 7 more shifts. With 11 fwds.

Confidence is everything for skilled players and this org has eroded every ounce the guy had left. It's sad to see because when I watched him in college and WBS, he was fun to watch.

It's hard to fathom a team giving up on talented guys without giving them a real chance, but the org made up their minds about Despres and BB awhile ago. It makes zero sense, but it makes sense to them and that's the reality of it. In their reality, Lovejoy doesn't make as many mistakes as Despres, and Despres is just a fighter, anyways.

They decided Kunitz is part of the solution and BB is part of the problem. Nothing either player does will change that mindset. It's frustrating and they need BB skill in the top six, but the org is closed minded and believe their way is the path to success. It's hard to accept when you see Kunitz playing like a dog, but that's how they do things in Penguinland.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
It's going to be a disaster for sure.. Scuderi lacks mobility and isn't physical. That's a hell of a combo.

Lovejoy is just Mark Eaton 2.0.. a #6/7 who shouldn't be logging big minutes, but he is.

Players tend to look better in specific systems, and that doesn't always show until that player goes to a different team and falters. Lovejoy seemed to be a pretty good 4/5/6 guy on Anaheim, so the Penguins picked him up. The funniest part is that he was already on the Penguins and not very good, so there's no excuse for them not realizing that he was made to look better by the Anaheim system and players. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad