Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know how much outcry there's going to be about one bad player on one bad contract if there's not much about 4 straight years out of the playoffs, then trading a first round pick for immediate help after a season where the team had zero players in the top 50 of NHL scoring.

The team has allowed the media to unleash the hounds on him and the casuals will predictably follow suit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Found an argument that Loui might not even have the worst contract on the team.

Nikolay Goldobin May Be Vancouver Canucks Most Troublesome Contract
What a terrible article. How can Goldobin possibly be the Canucks worst contract? He's still an RFA with no arbitration rights. The Canucks can simply come in with a low-ball offer, and if he balks, it's off the KHL for Goldy. How can that possibly be 'troublesome' for anyone in the Canucks front office, compared to albatross and untradeable contracts for Eriksson and Beagle?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Dumb question. If LE contract is so bad, why don't t hey just buy him out. It wouldn't cost much, they already have paid him most of his remaining salary in bonuses haven't they.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Dumb question. If LE contract is so bad, why don't t hey just buy him out. It wouldn't cost much, they already have paid him most of his remaining salary in bonuses haven't they.

It doesnt help them, it actually would cost them more (cap hit) to buy him out than playing him in the next 2 years.

If you keep playing him you have a bottom 6 forward that counts 6m against the cap. If you buy him out, the cap penalty is 5.56m and then you have to pay another player to take that roster spot. Minimum salary is about 750k I believe so you actually spend at least ~300k more in cap hit if you buy him out. The only savings would be in 21-22 when the buy out cap penalty would be 3.56m but then you get hit with another 556k cap hit over the following 3 seasons.

Thats why the contract is called "buyout proof". Costs more than it saves.

Edit: Capfriendly buyout calculator for Eriksson

Loui Eriksson Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It doesnt help them, it actually would cost them more (cap hit) to buy him out than playing him in the next 2 years.

If you keep playing him you have a bottom 6 forward that counts 6m against the cap. If you buy him out, the cap penalty is 5.56m and then you have to pay another player to take that roster spot. Minimum salary is about 750k I believe so you actually spend at least ~300k more in cap hit if you buy him out. The only savings would be in 21-22 when the buy out cap penalty would be 3.56m but then you get hit with another 556k cap hit over the following 3 seasons.

It is a thing of beauty by Louis agent.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017

Yeah, this.

Were stuck with the guy. The only way out I think is sending him to Utica and him refusing to report, maybe get him on breach of contract or he says hell with it and bolts back home

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

The Sedins will play until they are 40 and Ericsson has shown great chemistry with them in over-sea tournaments. This is a match made in heaven. At worse we can trade Ericsson for a 1st rounder if it doesn't work out. Overall this has been a great free agency and I would personally like to thank Benning for bringing in such a high profile free agent. Things are really going to turn around quick. Eat your heart out Gillis!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Maybe he'll retire? And say, "f*** this ****"?
I think a number of people would be willing to #%%#$5 anybody for 18 million.

0ce4d17117c22c8e69b2350c87535bd7.jpg

:eek:

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Technically he’s owed $9m and while yes it’s a long shot there is a recent example of a guy leaving $10m+ on the table. Berglund left roughly $12m on the table when his contract terminated.
Berglund was also "only" 30 compared to the six million dollar man 34. I can only guess Berglund figured he still have a few good years left in him (that he could play overseas). Loui E is like Roger Moore in a View to a Kill (getting a bit long in the tooth at that point).:naughty:

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Cap hit aside, unless Eriksson declines quite a bit, he's still going to be good enough to make this team. But it's an interesting comment from Green for sure.
The message obviously seems to have the blessing of management (which would include Mr Aquilini imho) so it's possible that Green has the support to cut Loui if he doesn't like what he sees from him in camp. They seem to have finally chalked it up as a mistake that they're willing to move on from and they might even be in a place with it where they'll enjoy the idea of Loui riding the bus and braving the bitter Mohawk Valley winter winds while they save the meager cap dollars involved.

I agree that he's still decent bottom six material but we have too many bottom of the roster forward types hanging about, something does have to give and maybe part of that will be Loui? Jimbo does not seem quite so enamored of those 'little things' that Loui brings anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad