Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The message obviously seems to have the blessing of management (which would include Mr Aquilini imho) so it's possible that Green has the support to cut Loui if he doesn't like what he sees from him in camp. They seem to have finally chalked it up as a mistake that they're willing to move on from and they might even be in a place with it where they'll enjoy the idea of Loui riding the bus and braving the bitter Mohawk Valley winter winds while they save the meager cap dollars involved.

I agree that he's still decent bottom six material but we have too many bottom of the roster forward types hanging about, something does have to give and maybe part of that will be Loui? Jimbo does not seem quite so enamored of those 'little things' that Loui brings anymore.

I think you're inferring too much. The article title only says "spot". That could mean spot in the lineup as opposed to spot on the roster. Green doesn't go as far as talking about the roster which makes sense given that Green is responsible for lineup but Benning is responsible for the roster.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think you're inferring too much. The article title only says "spot". That could mean spot in the lineup as opposed to spot on the roster. Green doesn't go as far as talking about the roster which makes sense given that Green is responsible for lineup but Benning is responsible for the roster.
But what would be the point of carrying him if he doesn't play?

It's kind of the worst of all worlds isn't it?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But what would be the point of carrying him if he doesn't play?

It's kind of the worst of all worlds isn't it?

Ideally, all the forwards on your roster deserves to be there. So if Eriksson deserves a roster spot but doesn't deserve to be in the lineup then he should still be on the roster. Practically speaking, it's better to have a veteran serving as a healthy scratch than a young player who is only on the roster because you don't want to lose him on waivers.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Ideally, all the forwards on your roster deserves to be there. So if Eriksson deserves a roster spot but doesn't deserve to be in the lineup then he should still be on the roster. Practically speaking, it's better to have a veteran serving as a healthy scratch than a young player who is only on the roster because you don't want to lose him on waivers.
I think multiple factors are in play when narrowing your roster down to the thirteenth forward and Loui probably ticks some boxes for and some against. I will admit though that his experiencing Christmas in the Mohawk Valley is probably wishful thinking on my part. As in the very similar Gagner case Loui will likely ask to be loaned to Austin or San Antonio, or wherever it is that that Texas franchise is located in the spirit of family considerations. And Jimbo is likely to oblige.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It is a thing of beauty by Louis agent.

Actually, not really. If Eriksson had a normal contract the Canucks could buy him out, Loui could move on and sign elsewhere and likely still make the same amount overall. Now the player and the team are stuck in an area where the Canucks have no benefit of buying him out and can't move his contract without likely eating half of it or taking back an equally bad or worse contract. Loui is looking at a situation now where he could toiling away in the AHL for the next three seasons to "earn" the remaining $9M where if he was bought out could be getting paid by the Canucks and likely sign for $1-2M somewhere he wants to be in the NHL to make up the difference.

Reactions: MarkMM

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Counting the years until Loui E is gone...sigh.
Sadly only half way there. Maybe we can buy him out in the final year or even better trade him next summer with two years left on his deal to a low cap team. Problem is he needs to play this year at a decent level to even have a chance of trading him at his fairly low cash salary. And the odds of him having a decent season are pretty low.

Reactions: Hit the post

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The message obviously seems to have the blessing of management (which would include Mr Aquilini imho) so it's possible that Green has the support to cut Loui if he doesn't like what he sees from him in camp. They seem to have finally chalked it up as a mistake that they're willing to move on from and they might even be in a place with it where they'll enjoy the idea of Loui riding the bus and braving the bitter Mohawk Valley winter winds while they save the meager cap dollars involved.

I agree that he's still decent bottom six material but we have too many bottom of the roster forward types hanging about, something does have to give and maybe part of that will be Loui? Jimbo does not seem quite so enamored of those 'little things' that Loui brings anymore.

Lucky for Loui he will discover the advantage all Vancouver players in Utica enjoy, the majority of the North Division foes are not that far away and therefore the rides are not all that long. They sleep most nights in their own beds and enjoy many more free days for practice time. I'm sure Loui will enjoy the extra ice time.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lucky for Loui he will discover the advantage all Vancouver players in Utica enjoy, the majority of the North Division foes are not that far away and therefore the rides are not all that long. They sleep most nights in their own beds and enjoy many more free days for practice time. I'm sure Loui will enjoy the extra ice time.
Bad Goalie, "leave the Loui E., take the canoli".

(yes, I know that unlike in the Godfather movie, where Utica is like around 5 hours by car from New York, Rocco didn't drive THAT long beyond New York :sarcasm:).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sadly only half way there. Maybe we can buy him out in the final year or even better trade him next summer with two years left on his deal to a low cap team. Problem is he needs to play this year at a decent level to even have a chance of trading him at his fairly low cash salary. And the odds of him having a decent season are pretty low.

I agree that the chances of him having a decent season are low, but I could see it. Green will feel the pressure to make the playoffs, and if he thinks Eriksson is his best option on the third line and the penalty kill, Loui could do okay (not that he'd be anywhere close to living up to his contract, of course). Then, if Benning gets replaced, perhaps a new, more creative GM would be able to find a way out from under before the 2020/2021 season begins.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree that the chances of him having a decent season are low, but I could see it. Green will feel the pressure to make the playoffs, and if he thinks Eriksson is his best option on the third line and the penalty kill, Loui could do okay (not that he'd be anywhere close to living up to his contract, of course). Then, if Benning gets replaced, perhaps a new, more creative GM would be able to find a way out from under before the 2020/2021 season begins.
That would be ideal for sure!

Reactions: lindgren

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Maybe Loui can rediscover his love for the game in Utica :)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe Loui can rediscover his love for the game in Utica :)

Higgins loved it here. Said hockey "became fun again."

I don't have any illusions of Loui finding such youthful connections nor do I envision him being any kind of mentor whatsoever to kids down here. Higgins was an inspiration. Loui's presence would be an obvious act of desperation by Benning and I can't see where that would have a positive effect/affect on anyone.

Let Jimbo pull another ignoration of the farm and send this unwanted NHLer to the Texas Stars to ACTUALLY be near his family this time vs the bogus story of Gagner being nearer to his family when they never left Vancouver. The Comets can't see him unless the 2 teams were to face off in the Calder Cup Finals.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Let Jimbo pull another ignoration of the farm and send this unwanted NHLer to the Texas Stars to ACTUALLY be near his family this time vs the bogus story of Gagner being nearer to his family when they never left Vancouver. The Comets can't see him unless the 2 teams were to face off in the Calder Cup Finals.
Still tough to beat Brian Burke's trade of Peter Zezel. Zezel was well past his due date at that point & asked for a trade to a team closer to his niece (who had a terminal desease). Burke did deal Zezel....to a team FURTHER away from where his niece was (and even Vancouver). The thing was, Burke only received a throwaway type of asset in the trade (pretty much worthless conditional late round pick). Zezel decided to just retire so he could spend time with his dying niece.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Higgins loved it here. Said hockey "became fun again."

I don't have any illusions of Loui finding such youthful connections nor do I envision him being any kind of mentor whatsoever to kids down here. Higgins was an inspiration. Loui's presence would be an obvious act of desperation by Benning and I can't see where that would have a positive effect/affect on anyone.

We should keep a tally of the ignorations.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Still tough to beat Brian Burke's trade of Peter Zezel. Zezel was well past his due date at that point & asked for a trade to a team closer to his niece (who had a terminal desease). Burke did deal Zezel....to a team FURTHER away from where his niece was (and even Vancouver). The thing was, Burke only received a throwaway type of asset in the trade (pretty much worthless conditional late round pick). Zezel decided to just retire so he could spend time with his dying niece.

Brian Burke really didn't like Mike Gillis.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Heh, remember how easy it was gonna be to move Eriksson to a cap floor team?
Yep, I also remember being told that Canucks had no cap troubles, that the Beagle, Eriksson and Roussel contracts would not be a problem for future signings.
Its almost like Spending 25+ millions on 3-4th liners and bottom pairing d-men is a problem, but hey don't worry Benning is playing 4d-chess with the rest of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->