Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For me it's sort of a case of "a little too little; a little too late."
It's going to take a pretty damn solid and CONSISTENT rest of the season before he starts winning over many Canuck fans.

Hopefully he'll keep up the pace until the deadline and we'll see if anyone bites then at half salary.

Still doesn't explain this thread not being bumped.

I do agree that it's going to take a pretty solid and consistent rest of the season from Eriksson. I have never figured out why Eriksson's production dropped off the way it did here (even if he was on the decline) and I am skeptical that he has somehow turned the corner. But he is only 33. Maybe he's finally having some puck luck.

Reactions: LiveeviL

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Eriksson finally got rid of his dopey looking hair a few games ago and shortly after starts producing, coincidence? I think not! Just look at kyrie Irving before and after going back to his old school look
Probably a conincidence tbh but he is playing like a diffy player right now i hope he can keep this up but we have seen short spirts like this from him before

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes, players are typically on pace for high totals when they happen to have some good games at the start of the season.

...those same players can have good games later on in the season as well.

I think if Green's continues to default to Eriksson + Pettersson, Eriksson stands to have a good year. What's your over/under on LE and 40 points?

Edit: Your vote was for under 0.5 PPG.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Does anyone else just forget he’s playing and then you see him midway through the 2nd period attempt to get some weak pass to a teammate and you think, “oh yeah that’s right; Eriksson is on the team!”

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Does anyone else just forget he’s playing and then you see him midway through the 2nd period attempt to get some weak pass to a teammate and you think, “oh yeah that’s right; Eriksson is on the team!”

Yeah. Now that he doesnt have the clown hair keep forgetting he is on the team during games.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This is very accurate.

On pace for 34 points, but of his 14 points 7 were scored in one 4-game stretch. Has 7 points in other 30 games.

1 goal and 2 assists in last 16 games. Pathetic player. Just a lifeless corpse.

Reactions: pomorick

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

That's exactly what I did last night. He did something as innocuous as dump the puck in and I said "Oh right Eriksson is on the team"

Of course it was quickly followed by "f*** him and that stupid contract Benning gave him"

Reactions: mathonwy

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is very accurate.

On pace for 34 points, but of his 14 points 7 were scored in one 4-game stretch. Has 7 points in other 30 games.

1 goal and 2 assists in last 16 games. Pathetic player. Just a lifeless corpse.

He plays like a guy who collected 90% of his salary as one lump sum payment three months before the season started.

Reactions: travis scott

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
When I picture this guy as a player I imagine him dumping the puck into the corner and changing. That's his signature move.
His other signature move is bobbling a perfect pass to him. Hes ELITE at doing that

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Said it before and often....clearly the worst UFA signing in team history. Some nights like last night in Nashville, it's like he's going through the motions. Supposedly he's a good penalty killer, but the Canucks pp is consistently in the bottom quarter of the league, so he can't be that good.

And I don't care if he's 'defensively responsible' or not. You can't pay a guy $6m a season to be a third-line checker. The guy couldn't even put up points when he was put on a line with Pettersson. How is that even possible?

Green should have parked him in the pressbox at least once or twice by now. But of course we know that'll never happen. But what can you do? Maybe trade one bad contract for another. Eriksson for Seabrook, straight up?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Said it before and often....clearly the worst UFA signing in team history. Some nights like last night in Nashville, it's like he's going through the motions. Supposedly he's a good penalty killer, but the Canucks pp is consistently in the bottom quarter of the league, so he can't be that good.

And I don't care if he's 'defensively responsible' or not. You can't pay a guy $6m a season to be a third-line checker. The guy couldn't even put up points when he was put on a line with Pettersson. How is that even possible?

Green should have parked him in the pressbox at least once or twice by now. But of course we know that'll never happen. But what can you do? Maybe trade one bad contract for another. Eriksson for Seabrook, straight up?

He did actually put up points when he was on his line to start.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I don't think that's a good idea, Seabrook's contract with his performance is much worse, 2 years longer than LE and almost a million dollars more per year.

At this point it's highly doubtful that LE's contract can be moved without us taking a significant shot to the foot, if not both feet. I think the overall best course of action, barring an intervention from Jesus himself, is to just eat the pain and let the contract run its course. Once final year hits, we can buy him out or dump the plug elsewhere for teams looking for a cup rental without us having to give up too much.

Two and half years left, and then we enter the final year.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I have been his biggest critic. His performance given his contract is ridiculously bad, but his play away from the puck has always been pretty good. He doesn't deserve to be benched, he just doesn't deserve his contract. If he can somehow salvage an ok offensive season it would be a start in mending his reputation but just a start. He sucked in Boston after being hurt and then came up with 30 goals in his contract year for a big payout. I think that's the type of guy you're dealing with.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think that's a good idea, Seabrook's contract with his performance is much worse, 2 years longer than LE and almost a million dollars more per year.

At this point it's highly doubtful that LE's contract can be moved without us taking a significant shot to the foot, if not both feet. I think the overall best course of action, barring an intervention from Jesus himself, is to just eat the pain and let the contract run its course. Once final year hits, we can buy him out or dump the plug elsewhere for teams looking for a cup rental without us having to give up too much.

Two and half years left, and then we enter the final year.
Structure of his dea is what it is.

He’ll be back next season. Earliest he can be moved is July 2020 when after his SB he has $5 million left owing to him.

Aside from that the next best time would be July 2021 when after his sb he is down to $1 million left in salary. Bury him in the ahl and hope he opts to retire. Or see if you can move him to an Ottawa who would want the extra $5 million towards he floor.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Structure of his dea is what it is.

He’ll be back next season. Earliest he can be moved is July 2020 when after his SB he has $5 million left owing to him.

Aside from that the next best time would be July 2021 when after his sb he is down to $1 million left in salary. Bury him in the ahl and hope he opts to retire. Or see if you can move him to an Ottawa who would want the extra $5 million towards he floor.

There is another approach - and IMO it's the only ethical approach. You judge him based on merit.
  1. You completely ignore his accomplishments in Boston, Dallas and for the Swedish National Team. Those are irrelevant to the Canucks. You deal with him on the basis of what he has accomplished in Vancouver under this contract.
  2. You don't pay too much attention to the contract - it's Francesco's money and a sunk cost. What is important about the contract right now are the terms. His NMC has already converted to a NTC. He is eligible for assignment to Utica right now.
  3. His ice time, assignment and role should be strictly determined by his production and utility to the team.
Based on merit (and I have no visibility to what goes on in the locker room or on the bus) Eriksson should be competing with Tim Schaller and for the 12th roster spot on any given night and his ice time should reflect that. IMO, based on his play he is below Antoine Rousell and Tyler Motte. Adam Gaudette is a rookie and a C, so he's not in the same field. Markus Granlund has fewer points but has also had primarily defensive assignments.

If Eriksson can't be at least the 12th best forward, and is in the press box most nights, or if there are rookies more in need of NHL ice time and experience, then Eriksson should be waived and assigned to Utica. If his locker room presence and mastery of the "little things" is so vital, maybe he can mentor Jonathan Dahlen for a while.

I expect after a few months of riding the bus and staying in Travelodges, if he has any pride, he might consider the benefits of retirement. Or maybe he will come down with a debilitating skin condition ...

Reactions: rypper

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
3 goals in 27 games and invisible most nights. Yet he still gets trotted out wwit Horvat most nights.

Reactions: geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad