Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's still nine million dollars..
Can he make that up playing in Sweden for 3 years? If not, how close to that $9 million can he get? Will he be short $1 million per season? Plus, you also need to factor in $ per game. SHL plays like 52 or something vs 82 in the NHL. If he can get $1.9 million per season, he'd have the same per game pay.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can he make that up playing in Sweden for 3 years? If not, how close to that $9 million can he get? Will he be short $1 million per season? Plus, you also need to factor in $ per game. SHL plays like 52 or something vs 82 in the NHL. If he can get $1.9 million per season, he'd have the same per game pay.
He wont get paid that much even in Europe. He sucks BAD

Reactions: pomorick

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Not sure why per-game pay matters. I'd rather get 5 million to play 50 games than get 2 million to play 5 games.

I think we're stuck with this guy until the end. Or at least until a better GM finds a way to unload him.

What a predictably terrible signing.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
That's still nine million dollars..

True, but he'll have earned almost $50M in his career at that point and will be 34 years old. If his family is finding it difficult, as has been alleged, it may still be worth it for him to move back to Sweden. And if the Canucks waive him and make him ride the pine in the AHL, it may be worth it even more.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He's been hard to spot out there; never seems to have the puck or be in the play. Complete passenger. Was the third period before I was able to confirm he was in the lineup Monday. Just shockingly bad.

Reactions: Javaman

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Patience. Get EP40 back in the line-up and put the Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson line back together. That should get LE going again. I still think this guy shakes the cobwebs loose for a stretch this season. EP will get him there.

Man I hope not. Why should Pettersson have to drag around the uninterested rotting corpse that is Loui Eriksson? Put someone on his wing that will actually do something with the chances. Relegate Eriksson to 4th line/press box duties until he actually gives a shit.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Patience. Get EP40 back in the line-up and put the Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson line back together. That should get LE going again. I still think this guy shakes the cobwebs loose for a stretch this season. EP will get him there.

From watching him this year I've lost all hope.

I don't think there is anything there anymore. He is slow, clumsy and does not give a f***.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That play last game where he was passed the puck in the slot and somehow fumbled it was the story of his Vancouver tenure. The puck didn't bounce. It was perfect pass right to his stick. Somehow he like lost control of it and sent it back to the corner. It was Gudbransonesque.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Man I hope not. Why should Pettersson have to drag around the uninterested rotting corpse that is Loui Eriksson? Put someone on his wing that will actually do something with the chances. Relegate Eriksson to 4th line/press box duties until he actually gives a ****.

Didn't Pettersson get 8 points in 5 games playing with LE?

I thought that line with Goldy/EP/LE worked very well. Forces teams to spread their coverage away from Bo and Brock. Not sure who would move onto a line with EP without taking as much away from whatever line they were already on?

Other than being paid about 4 times too much, I think he is the perfect fit for Goldy/EP.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is this a thing under the CBA? I feel I remember it happening before, but then it seems like a pretty clear avenue to cap circumvention on players who have already earned a big chunk of real money.
The only instances of people not completing their contract are few are far between.

Naslund signed a 2 year deal with NYR that paid him $6 mill them $5 mill. He walked away after the first year. So retirement.

Kipper in Calgary retired in the final year of his 6 year deal when he was set to make $1 million. No cap hit taken by either team.

Mike Richards has his contract terminated by LA following his arrest at the border. PA grieved it and there was a settlement which the Kings are taking a cap hit for.

Simon Despres worked out a buyout due to his concussions with Anaheim. But Anaheim is not taking any cap hit for that. And Despres played in the KHL last year and tried out for Montreal recently.

The only mutual termination would be for the Canucks to not go after his signing bonus if he opts to retire following July 1 after getting paid. So, the ball is entirely in eriksson court if he wishes to walk away.

His kids are older than what they were in Boston and Dallas. So not sure what the transition issues are unless it’s kids giving his kids grief over their dads play. But I doubt young kids are that in tune with the game to know that. Unless it’s an older sibling or parent saying these things to their kid who then say it to eriksson kids.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The canucks and Burmistrov mutually terminated the contract last season so he could return home.

The thing that makes it unique is the time remaining.

There's also Kovalchuk.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Didn't Pettersson get 8 points in 5 games playing with LE?

I thought that line with Goldy/EP/LE worked very well. Forces teams to spread their coverage away from Bo and Brock. Not sure who would move onto a line with EP without taking as much away from whatever line they were already on?

Other than being paid about 4 times too much, I think he is the perfect fit for Goldy/EP.
As a Swede who has watched him play numerous times in the World championships due to him rarely declining, as a younger player he was a threat on his own. But as he approached thirty he needed good players around him to produce. He still processes the game at a remarkable pace but he needs more help, a brain on skates if you will.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a desperately positive theory, that Eriksson has more to offer at this point in his career. But the sad reality is that while some players are still productive throughout their 30's and continue to bring value to their teams, there's another group of players who just seem to hit the wall at 30-31. And waiting for them to recover their scoring touch, is like waiting for Godot.

Eriksson will be back in Sweden long before his contract with the Canuckleheads expires. And it's going to cost them dearly for a buyout. But right now, he's just standing in the way of younger players who have a chance of still being around when this team is a contender again.

Of course everybody and his dog told Jimbo that it was sheer lunacy for a 'rebuilding team' to offer a 30-something veteran a six year contract. But in 'Bertuzzi speak', 'it is what it is', I guess.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It's a desperately positive theory, that Eriksson has more to offer at this point in his career. But the sad reality is that while some players are still productive throughout their 30's and continue to bring value to their teams, there's another group of players who just seem to hit the wall at 30-31. And waiting for them to recover their scoring touch, is like waiting for Godot.

Eriksson will be back in Sweden long before his contract with the Canuckleheads expires. And it's going to cost them dearly for a buyout. But right now, he's just standing in the way of younger players who have a chance of still being around when this team is a contender again.

Of course everybody and his dog told Jimbo that it was sheer lunacy for a 'rebuilding team' to offer a 30-something veteran a six year contract. But in 'Bertuzzi speak', 'it is what it is', I guess.

Or 'it isn't what it isn't' if we are referring to points production.

Or is that 'it is what it isn't'?

Or 'it isn't what it is'? No, that doesn't sound right.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
What a dog this guy is. I hope he feels proud of himself being THE highest paid player on the team now while being so absolutely unremarkable.

Great job scoring the sweet contract, Loui! Feel free to make a contribution to the team anytime.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Exactly the opposite in what the team needs right now. He shows no passion for the game or for the team. He just wants to leave, but hes making too much money to actually complain.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Seems like Boston got rid of him just at the right moment. Imagine if they were stuck paying Loui 6M up until 2022, it would basically mean their Cup window was gone.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Seems like Boston got rid of him just at the right moment. Imagine if they were stuck paying Loui 6M up until 2022, it would basically mean their Cup window was gone.
They correctly did cut bait with Eriksson, but then they went and signed Backes to a similar terrible contract. Backes is slightly more useful player than Eriksson but it's still a really bad contract.

But that "not realizing when to cut bait" is probably the number 1 mistake that GMs make all around the league. They get so caught up on their long-performing vets and then loyalty and the feeling of safety leads them to terrible decisions. Even well-run teams like Winnipeg fall for it (Little).

Reactions: cookiefest

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has a NTC for this year and next. Canucks can try to bury him in the AHL Next season and if he balks at going down there, move to terminate his contract. He would have gotten $27 million for 3 years of service.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good with Horvat last night
The one he does better than most forwards on this roster is make a nice first pass out of the defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad