Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's mailed in his career. He basically has one foot out the door. Completely disinterested on and off the ice. Probably has no friends in Vancouver either.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
PPG through 3 games!

Now 3 points in 7 games.
He sucks Zombie Man. Coach green should be benching his overpaid ass. Eriksson has to be the most frustrating player to watch. Offense dies on his stick - he cant accept passes, his own passing is off, he fans on shots. I mean his defensive play is ok, but not great and hes pretty slow.

Maybe like a 4th liner playing 65 games making $1.2 million a year on one year contracts would be more appropriate

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never made sense to acquire a guy cause he played well with the twins during a world championship when the twins only had 2 years left on their contracts plus his age, cause the Canucks already saw how the twins production dropped as they went from early 30’s into their mid 30’s.

Eriksson already pocketed $22 million before the puck dropped this year from the Canucks. Earning $1 million in salary this year. So, see what the team can do come July 2 after they pay his SB. $10 million left and 3 years remaining after that date.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not as terrible as most fans make him to be. Smart player and can be solid defensively , but he desperately needs a #1 C to be utilized effectively.

Is he worth 6 mil? Hell no: doesn't possess a shot, cannot drive the offense or create any plays.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Before his contract year in Boston he was a 45-50 point player the three years before. If he can get to the 40-45 points with good two-way play I can live with that. Not worth the contract but that is on Bennining, not Eriksson.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Before his contract year in Boston he was a 45-50 point player the three years before. If he can get to the 40-45 points with good two-way play I can live with that. Not worth the contract but that is on Bennining, not Eriksson.
It would be a miracle if he can hit 40 points. They should sever ties at the end of the season. Useless plug

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Eriksson doesn’t suck nearly as much as the Chicken Little’s on here would like you to believe.

Is Eriksson worth his contract? Absolutely not. Is he completely atrocious? Nope.....not even close.

Eriksson can still move around the ice fairly well and plays a very good 200 foot game. He’s among the best defensive players in the league.

But having said all that - we are NOT getting our money’s worth with Eriksson. I believe a big reason for this is that the coaching staff is not deploying him in the correct manner. Eriksson should be playing with Horvat. Eriksson NEEDS to play with a center that can drive play and has semi decent hands.

Henrik was too old and slow when Eriksson got here. While Brandon Sutter is a great defensive center (who finally got deployed in the correct manner last season), he can’t pass if his life depended on him. If you’re expecting offense out of Eriksson by playing him with Sutter, you’re going to be disappointed.

Put Eriksson with Horvat and you’ll see Eriksson pop around 20 goals if he stays healthy.

I also don’t encourage Eriksson to play with Pettersson as his center. Why? Because - I’m not sold on Pettersson being a Center at the NHL level. The guy flat out killed it as a WINGER in Sweden.....not as a center. I really hope the Canucks coaching staff don’t try and fit a square peg into a round hole once again. We’ve seen them make this mistake with Kassian, Tryamkin, Sutter, Gagner, and Eriksson.

I agree that he'll never live up to his contract, but I think he can come close if he's used correctly.

Benning has made the right moves.

It's the ******ed coaching that have constantly dicked the dog.

"Kassian needs to be like Lucic."
"Tryamkin needs to be like Chara."
"Sutter can be a good playmaking 2nd line center for us" (although I do concede Sutter was being used in this role since Horvat needed some more time to develop)
"Gudbranson can carry a 2nd pairing defense and can be used to carry guys that are new."
"Eriksson can be a RW shut down guy."
"Gagner can be a RW shut down guy."

It's just ******ed. Use these guys correctly FFS. That's one reason why WD was punted. Green finally saw the green light with Sutter.......and even with Gudbranson when he paired him with Edler, but he's got to do a better job with Eriksson.

And for the record,

"Pettersson is going to be our next #1 center."

NO! He's not. Another mistake! Pettersson is going to be a damned good winger for us. Our search for our future #1 C is not over. I love Horvat, but he ain't it.

Eriksson should be play with Horvat, and Boeser and Pettersson should be used to play with either Gagner or Gaudette.

I haven’t read through the thread but the confidence in these posts is beautiful. So much wrong, any thoughts HS?

e: “chicken littles”

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Paterson and likely other media have been calling for Louie to be sat. Rest assured, if it does happen they will be going on for hours about a disgruntled Erikssson and if he will be requesting a trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im just glad he is only averaging 11 minutes of ice time, and he isnt getting destroyed 5v5 in the shot department.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Paterson and likely other media have been calling for Louie to be sat. Rest assured, if it does happen they will be going on for hours about a disgruntled Erikssson and if he will be requesting a trade.
Which would be great

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Is this the clear favorite for worst contract in the league? Especially considering there are 3 more years, after this one, on it? What an absolute waste.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is this the clear favorite for worst contract in the league? Especially considering there are 3 more years, after this one, on it? What an absolute waste.

Its up there for sure.
I think Gudbranson and Eriksson are both in the top10.

Boychuck is pretty bad. 6 mill per -> 2021-22. His play just fell off a cliff...
Seabrook at 6.875 per -> 2023-24...
Lucic at 6 mill per -> 2022-23 isn't that fun either...

Reactions: Peen and Pavel96

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm reposting here what I mentioned in the GDT: a postgame caller to 650, from Sweden, said a report on a Swedish website had Eriksson saying his family still wasn't really settled in Vancouver, and that he was planning on finishing his career in Sweden. The caller was answering a question from one of the hosts -- didn't seem to have an agenda at all.

I make no claim about the reliability of the report, but I wonder whether there might be a mutual agreement to terminate the contract. Has he not received most of his bonuses by now? I've read that somewhere in support of an argument that he would be tradeable.

After his $4 million signing bonus is paid out in July 2019, Eriksson will earn $9M over the final 3 years of his contract. Ie, $27M of the $36M owed to him will have been disbursed.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Worst FA signing in team history, and it's not even close. The depressing thing is that if Jimbo hadn't signed Eriksson to that ridiculous contract he'd have blown his brains out by signing Lucic instead. And as hard as it is to believe, that contract might actually be worse. So there was no escaping it.

They won't have much choice but to buy Eriksson out eventually, although apparently that isn't possible in the first three years of the contract. Maybe they can loan him to the Marlies like Gagner. Though just imagine $10m a season tied up in two players in the minors. How do some people in the hockey ops department still have their jobs?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Patience. Get EP40 back in the line-up and put the Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson line back together. That should get LE going again. I still think this guy shakes the cobwebs loose for a stretch this season. EP will get him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad